Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux noob clicksilver modem?

• 12-03-2005 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi people I just installed linux (mandrake) as a dual boot with windows xp but can not install my utv clicksilver modem, I got instructions on how to do it but they were very detailed and as I am totally new to linux don't really understand any of it! Is there any easy way to do this, should I just forget about linux and go back to windows are will i ever learn to use linux?? I would say I am handy enough at windows.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Boltblack

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Anyone?

What verison of mandrake are you using? Are you connecting the modem via USB or Ethernet? Could you maybe link us to the list of instructions you got and show where you had trouble? Nobody's replied because your question isn't really specific enough for anybody to be able to provide help.

ok thanks I am using mandrake linux 10.0
    These are the instructions that i got
    http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/zyxel630-11.php
    I do not understand the 1st step configuring the kernel (don't know what the Kernel is)
    If you think I will never be able to get this just say so, but I would love to be able to get it to work.
    Thanks For your help.
    ps its a usb modem zyxel prestige 630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

You're right, that does look complicated ;) I'm a linux noob myself. You could take the easy way out and buy an ethernet modem. I had already replaced my UTV modem with an ethernet one and when I installed Linux the internet just worked.

Might look into that, how much did it cost and if i got one would I be able to use ps2 online through linux/ windows?

• Advertisement

I got a modem/router in PC World for about €50. If you want to use PS2 online you'd be better off getting a 4-port router. Then you can use PS2 and internet at the same time or you can use the PS2 when the computer is turned off.
    This kind of thing: http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Keep in mind that the guide was written to cover all Linux distros - in some of the more techy distros you would configure and compile your kernel as part of the installation process, or the default kernel might only include the bare essentials (runs faster) so any extras would need this step. Lucky for you, the popular distros usually include every kernel option that the average user might need (but it runs a bit slower because of this).

The first thing to do is check if your current kernel configuration has the options you need already enabled.

as root you can type or paste this at a prompt:
    cp /boot/config-`uname -r` mycurrentkernel.config

This will create a file /boot/mycurrentkernel.config [edit: if you were in /boot already, otherwise (currentdirectory)/mycurrentkernel.config] that contains your current kernel configuration as a text file. Send it as an attachment here and we'll have a look at it.

ok I will do that but where do I type that in?

type it into a terminal window. Applications>System>Terminal or whatever it is in Mandrake.

Snowbat wrote:

The first thing to do is check if your current kernel configuration has the options you need already enabled.

as root you can type or paste this at a prompt:

Hiya I will do this thanks for your help but how do i do that first step where do I tpe it in.
    And do i type `uname -r`
    or do u mean to sub in my username?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Compiling a new kernel can be compilated for a new user. (FYI the kernel is ther very low level part of the operating system that deals with hardware (amount other things), it's the only part of the operating system that is actually called Linux. The rest of the OS has very little to do with Mr. Torvalds).

I have a ZyXEL Prestige 62R-T1 broadband modem which I got when I signed up for IOL Broadband over the summer. It can connect via a USB or ethernet cable. I couldn't get the USB part to work, and heard that it won't work, but using an ethernet cable works fine. No setup, no nothing. Plug it in and everything works. If you're one can use an ethernet cable, try that first.

Yeah, no I dont think it can it just has two holes (ports I think) one for phine line with ADSL ON IT AND THE OTHER IS USB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Hiya I will do this thanks for your help but how do i do that first step where do I tpe it in.
    And do i type `uname -r`
    or do u mean to sub in my username?
    uname -r

is a command that will give you the name and version of your currently running kernel. On my system here it returns "2.6.10-gentoo-r6"

the construction `command` means "execute the command given first and substitute its output into this space. so when you type

what happens is bash (the program that runs your terminal) will execute uname -r, and paste the output from it into the original command. On my system, it would attempt to execute
    cp /boot/config-2.6.10-gentoo-r6 mycurrentkernel.config

those are not single quotes by the way, you get them by pressing the key to the left of "1" on the top of your keyboard.

So what this command will do is "copy the configuration file for my current kernel from the /boot directory to the current directory and call it currentkernel.config

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

In KDE you can start Konsole. This looks something like the MS-DOS Prompt in Win9X. In Mandrake 10.1 it is in KDE Menu > System > Terminals > Terminal Program (Konsole)

I mentioned earlier that you should become the root user for this task but I've just discovered that a normal user can do it. Type the command exactly as above - you don't need to substitute any usernames. As maxheadroom points out, those are not single quotes, those are backticks and they are usually located on the key to the left of 1. The file will be created in the home directory of your username.

From Windows, to access your Linux partition (containing the file you created), I suggest you install explore2fs. You'll find the file in /home/(USERNAME)/

Ok I think I just attatched it, I copied it onto a .txt file i did'nt know if that's what you wanted or nut but I could not upload .config file.
    By the way i have linux and pc and am now on laptop, i used mp3 player to transfer the file.
    Thanks a million for your help

You need to recompile your kernel. The Linux.ie site has what you need to do in specific, but it assumes you know how to compile a kernel anyway. This site (http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html) will tell you how to recompile your kernel.

ok I looked at that s ite and am totally lost? what is the 1st step?

Boltblack wrote:
    ok I looked at that s ite and am totally lost? what is the 1st step?
    Of the Kernel-Build-Howto? The first step is to find out what your current hardware is. You do that by opening a terminal (which you are going to have to get used to if you want to do non-easy stuff in Linux), and typing in what it says. the $ is not to be typed in, that just means to type this into a bash shell. If you open up a terminal and you see a $ to the left of where you type, then you're set.

Just type in "/sbin/lspci", press enter, and write down what it says, do the same for "cat /proc/cpuinfo".

You seem very new to Linux, so I would suggest playing around with Linux stuff first before trying to compile the kernel. Google for RUTE, and you'll get a good intro to doing stuff on the command line. Look at some tutorials and HOWTOs on how to compile software. Compile some software. You'll need to have these skills before you can compile a kernel.

Advertisement