Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo going online !

• 12-03-2005 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Is this what all gamers have been waiting for.Obviously they want to make money but they always tried to innovate with their products.Apart from milking the cash cows like pokemon to death they have always tried to bring fun to their consoles/handhelds.The thought of online gaming possibilities that they can give us is mouthwatering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I think nintendo are going to enter the online gaming world with real flair. I'm sure they've been cooking up online ideas for a long time, and putting their polish on an online infrastructure is going to make big happy things happen.

That said, no one has a clue what their plans are. Are they going to partner with wi-fi hotspot providers? They claim DS online will be free. Revolution will be wi-fi enabled, so will it eventually act as a wireless router for the DS? In the meantime, will you be able to just use your own wireless router? There's a lot of possibilities. It'll be exciting to see how this develops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Balfa wrote:
    That said, no one has a clue what their plans are. Are they going to partner with wi-fi hotspot providers? They claim DS online will be free.

I think this means that once you have a wireless connection, the service is free. Nintendo won't charge a fee to play games online ala Xbox Live. However I don't think they can guarantee your method of access will be free if you are relying on hotspot providers that charge for their service. It's not really a big deal, though. If you have broadband at home, you can get your own wireless hotspot pretty cheaply (and beyond the initial price of a wireless router, your gaming will be "free").
    Balfa wrote:
    Revolution will be wi-fi enabled, so will it eventually act as a wireless router for the DS? In the meantime, will you be able to just use your own wireless router?

I'm not sure if Revolution will act as a router itself, although it certainly would be nice for people who don't already have one. If it doesn't, though, as with DS you can just use your own wireless router.

Nintendo has hinted, though, that on their end the DS and Revolution online services may be linked, which could be cool. Imagine, perhaps, sending a message on your DS to a user playing with a Revolution, if they provide online messaging functionality on each? Just a small example..on the gameplay side there's probably a lot more you could do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

with the revolution it would probably make sense to have a wireless version of the GBA/Gamecube link

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

with the revolution it would probably make sense to have a wireless version of the GBA/Gamecube link

Games could offer a download to the DS like the way that you can do single card multiplay, would be very cool...

Advertisement