Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people look at posters?

• 12-03-2005 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I do some postering for events and always wonder do people actually look at them and say, ooh i'd like to go see that?

Do people read posters? 23 votes

Yes, i read them and then decide what im going to do
    0% 0 votes
    Kinda, glancing if something catchs my eye
    34% 8 votes
    Nope, its all ****e
    65% 15 votes

Comments

It really depends on the layout and eye-catching appeal of it. Be careful of too much text. Best poster I've seen in a good while was the DU players one "Biloxi Blues"

There are workshops in journalism from time to time which cover using Quark and possibly photoshop. If not, there's definitely something else which covers photoshop. Keep an eye out for a poster! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

Myth wrote:
    Best poster I've seen in a good while was the DU players one "Biloxi Blues"

a friend of mine produced that show and said that the poster had obvious homosexual undertones. (look at the way they're standing!!)

Well yeah! But it still caught your attention big time.

And standing? You mean the press-ups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yeah that was a great poster:)

To be honest, a lot of it is about where you put the posters - you really have to blanket the place if you want people to notice the event. Also flyers in lecture theatres and the Buttery on the day of the event are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i look at the card soc ones a lot. too much some might say.
    (joking)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Also for publicity it can help to write stuff up on blackboards, OHPs, whiteboards etc, nice and simple and even if rubbed off, will still have reached a few people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

I always read posters on campus!

(We're deprived of 'em in D'Olier st :( ha ha)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i've also noticed a sharp decrease in cubicle advertising (grafitti) since boards.ie got bigger, is this where all the modern poets have gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

I love reading the funny stuff on the "Niteline" stickers in toilets, it's kinda bad though cos I think that nitelines a fab idea, but still.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

i've also noticed a sharp decrease in cubicle advertising (grafitti) since boards.ie got bigger, is this where all the modern poets have gone?

Yes. My work has become mainly an online artform but I'm thinking of doing a new installation in the Hamilton building. I just need a good subject. Karl the Amoeba and John Guiney jokes are dead to me now.

• Advertisement

You forgot Eric the E.Coli. At least I think it was eric.

There's this long running argument about some guy who (apparently) drives a van around and gets lots of money, and starts giving out to students for going to college (all written in the Hamilton toilets). And then there are the toilet nazi's...

Myth wrote:
    You forgot Eric the E.Coli. At least I think it was eric.

Pah, a paltry imitation of Karl the Amoeba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Why "Karl"? Why not a catchier moniker, like "Andy" or "Amy"?

When the character is good you don't need to use assonance to attract people's attention. Why Bruce Wayne and not William Wayne? Or Wayne Wayne? Karl is the name and the name is Karl. He is a fully developed character and not just a cartoon character. Philistines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I consider myself told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

The JCR poster about PeeWee Herman was classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I heard that dubes had to take down a load of their beach party posters after a complaint from the provost but i luckily manageed to get my hands on one before they disappeared. Go on baywatch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I think people in societies are the most likely to notice them. When you're going around putting up posters yourself and making sure they're all in clear view you notice most of the others but when you're not you don't.

I used to notice loads of posters but this year I haven't been doing that much postering so haven't noticed anything except for big colour ones that are plastered everywhere and even then although I notice the poster's constant presence I normally wouldn't take in what it's for or when the event's on.

That might just be me though.

Advertisement