Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lcd/plasma/rear projection tv!??!

Options
  • 12-03-2005 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before but I wants a super cool new tv and I don't know what the difference is between lcd, plasma or rear projection. Can somebody please tell me??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

afaik,

rear projection is pretty much as youd expect the image is projected onto the front screen simular to a standard telly but the colour is not very vivid and it has a poor refresh rate and your not suppose to use them for gaming due to these facts. They are also fairly big from front to back compared to lcd and plasma.

plasma tvs are more expensive than rear projection and look far better plus they are real thin and can be hung on a wall. They also have a problem with screen burn where an image over time could get burned onto the screen and leave a mark simular to what used to happen on computers.

Lcd's are simular to plasma but use computer/laptop screen technology and are better in the long term cause they are not prone to screen burn the same way as plasmas are.

The basic choice really is between price, rear projection are far cheaper than the other two and basically you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cheers kristok!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

stick with plasmas, but only name brand ones. apparantly people have no end of trouble with non branded ones, including tiny plasmas.

manufactures are pushing dlp and lcd rear projectors because they are cheap to make, and they then have a continuous income stream from replacement bulbs.

the sony 36inch crt are better than plasmas or anything else, but they really are hugh at the back, and are ridiculously heavy as well as a smaller screen size than a 42 inch plasma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

plasma's suffer from screen burn but lcd's can have pixel dropout. its probably never gonna happen to home users on plasma unless you watch the same channel non-stop. like sky news, then eventually the sky logo burns onto your screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

On the subject of screen burn, is it just me or are SKY One moving the position of their logo around? It seems to be creeping to the right to me.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

MrPudding wrote:
    On the subject of screen burn, is it just me or are SKY One moving the position of their logo around? It seems to be creeping to the right to me.

MrP

mr p u dont have a plasma do u by any chance?

i believe good plasmas either move the logo around or alternatively each pixel in it flushes a different colour in a repeated pattern, and because its 1 pixel at a time, u cant see it from a distance.

also modern plasmas can run a wash cycle to wash out any screen burn, and u can do this regularly.

there are plasmas in motorway service stations in the uk running 24/7 for many years and i can see no burn of any kind. i think plasma burn is overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

lomb wrote:
    mr p u dont have a plasma do u by any chance?

I wish. I have a Sony KV32FQ75. Had 4 or 5 years now. Still looks great. When it dies, or sooner if I can persuade the other half, I will replace it with a plasma.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Have a look here for more info
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

My understanding.
    - rear projection, effectively old technology, big and bulky.
    - there used to be talk about screen burn & short life with plasmas, but these don't seem to be an issue any more.
    - I believe plasma has a wider viewing angle than lcd.
    - plasma used be for big screens (32+) and lcd smaller (32-), due to cost and manufacturing process, but again this is changing.
    - some plasmas have fans, which can be noisy.

If I was in your position, I would be looking at either plasma or LCD, but I think it would come down to the particular model/price. A good lcd will be better than a bad plasma and vice-versa. This catches my eye at the moment:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/Viewproducts.asp?CatID=8&ProductID=4093
    The "panny's" seem to get a good rating on avforums. Not sure I'd fancy the trip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Rear projection - avoid CRT based rear projection sets like the plague. DLP sets seem ok generally. You'll always suffer a bit from limited viewing angles, and have to deal with the bulkiness. Top end DLP rear projectors like SIM2 and Loewe are better than any screens I've ever seen, but they do tend to cost €10k plus.

Plasma - Can have dead pixels too, and this seems to be increasingly more common as manufacturers cut corners in production to keep the costs down. Not many manufacturers are including the anti-burn technology yet, so burn ins are still a problem if you watch satellite or use the PC through it

LCD - No burn in problems, suffer from dead pixels only as much as plasmas do. LCD is brighter and in my opinion clearer than plasma, but the big trade off is price.

That panny that bbbbb links to is definitely worth a second look, it's too good a price to ignore, and is a genuinely excellent screen.

Robbie

Advertisement