Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

star trek XI movie

Options
  • 12-03-2005 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050310b.php
    As we know, "Band of Brothers" scribe Erik Jendresen has done a deal with Paramount to write an eleventh Star Trek film which for the first time in history which will feature a whole new cast to be introduced on the big screen.

In an interview with SyFyPortal, Jendresen confirmed that the movie would take place more than a century before Kirk, but acknowledged that it would not be an "Enterprise" spinoff. "I can certainly say that the story concept, the basic idea of this thing, is pretty damn big... When they first approached me, I wasn't really interested. But they said, 'What if we could approach this as a blank slate, and here's a notion.' When I heard the notion, I realized that the people I was talking to were serious, and genuinely dedicated. I started to really think about it, and, ultimately to develop a story. And it's a pretty good one" said the scribe.

The plan is to do something grittier, "There's an old tradition in space films, if you think about it, where war and conflict are very sterile. Death doesn't hurt, it's not really ugly. You can get killed by a phaser and just ... disintegrate. We're going 160-odd years before Kirk is born. It's an earlier time, and I think it would be really refreshing to feel something in the course of telling this tale, instead of being wowed by special effects, or presenting another crew in jeopardy where, in the end, the captain does something brilliant, and all's right with the world" says Jendresen.

Reports have "Star Trek XI" being released sometime in 2007. No director or cast has been set yet, but it is clear that characters from other Star Trek properties will not be included.

intersting idea, dont know how legit this is,but we'll see more over the next few months.

dw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

A blank slate? that doesnt sound good they better not be rewriteing star trek history in some stupid panic trying to get back rateings B and B lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We're going 160-odd years before Kirk is born.

Not ANOTHER prequel.. haven't they learned anything from Enterprise??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    [/b]

Not ANOTHER prequel.. haven't they learned anything from Enterprise??? :confused:
    Apparently not..

Have faith :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

It could be good, band of brothers is a clasic. And now they want a gritty gory trek it sounds anyway! We may see some ones leg get blown off or somthing!

Been there done that - Siege of AR558 (or somethin like that) in DS9 where Nog is injured and loses his leg...ok we didn't actually SEE him losing it, but still.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

There doing the Romulan war guys

Been confirmed by several people in the know

Shin

another prequel then... and they'll no doubt continue to mess up the Original series canon (as Enterprise has) which said that they had no visual communications during that war - that episode of TOS is incidentially one of the best Trek episodes anyway IMHO. :)

What is it with Hollywood and prequels lately? I think they need to strop trying to rewrite history and just continue the story post-24th century.

It’s mad to think the romulans and humans didn’t have visual coms during the war ffs lads we have that today and these people fly around in faster than light starships! i think the humans never seen the romulans simply because the romulans never allowed themselves to be seen like on enterprise's latest romulan arc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

From here on in the 21st Century will now be officially known at the "Prequel" period. People will go into a furniture store in the 23rd century and look for a nice couch from the prequel era !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

From here on in the 21st Century will now be officially known at the "Prequel" period. People will go into a furniture store in the 23rd century and look for a nice couch from the prequel era !!!
    But Enterpoo is set in the 22nd century.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

There doing the Romulan war guys Been confirmed by several people in the know Shin

Deadly! Except its going to have to have ST history rewritten because according to the star trek encyclopedia earth and its colonies and romulan star empire basically just threw missiles at each other

though i could be wrong it was a while since a read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

I'll be surprised if this even gets made, the Star Trek franchise is a rotting carcass at this stage. The movies have done poorly, and the TV series have fannied about with the Star Trek universe so much that the whole thing is a giant, convoluted mess.

It'll take a miracle worker to salvage the franchise now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

magick wrote:
    Deadly! Except its going to have to have ST history rewritten because according to the star trek encyclopedia earth and its colonies and romulan star empire basically just threw missiles at each other

and? Therefore? so?

i enjoy star trek as much as the next man, and for some sins that i must have committed in a past life i even watched all of voyager, but seriously this is star trek were talking about.
    like anything thats been worked on by loads of different people over a long time it's a hodgepodge of plot devices and villians of the week, it's only bloody natural that after 5 series the whole universe has more contradictions than a very contradictory thing.

I'd be worried less about rewriting the 'history' of the star trek universe and the fact that a promising new direction for the franchise is may be crippled from birth by the virtue of being of the star trek family.

Star trek canon? did kirk carve it with his ego on mount sinai or something...

As I said above, I just don't see why every other film (ok it's not QUITE that bad yet) is a prequel lately.. There was that Exorcist one, the Star Wars movies, Dumb and Dumberer etc (just a few off the top of my head) - and what do these all have in common? They're generally considered to be much WORSE than the originals and largely in part to them being prequels to an already successful series, and attempting to rewrite established characters/histories.

"Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them" - wise words there! Take heed Mr Hollywood Movie Producer

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    "Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them" - wise words there! Take heed Mr Hollywood Movie Producer

Sound like the rep who sold the idea of those awful cinema ads for heineken, what were they thinking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

As long as people buy "All Bran Flakes Yoghurty" because Shatner is in the ad, as long as people buy Shatners "Has been" CD without listening to it beforehand there will always be a crowd to get dragged into the cinema to watch Star Trek XI or XX or whatever.

Why can they not be original and try to do something new. Playing safe wont pay off in the long run, I think.

I am a die hard fan since the early 70s and with the latest "Enterprise" they really pissed me off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Apparently Activision who make ST games cancelled their contract with paramount because they felt they had let the franchise go "stagnant".

I have to admit that i fear for the future of ST. I can only see things going downhill for them if this movie doesn't renew us trekkies interest or bring new converts into the fold.

Either way i'm sick of bloody prequels. Enterprise was a bold move which, i think, isnt all that bad of a series but its already in its final series which doesn't bode well for ST in general.

Romulan War sounds like a cool idea, as long as it is done right. By a clean slate they mean giving it a new scope, a wider viewing. So as to attract new fans. I think this will work, and ti will work even better as we have to wait with no Trek so most Trek fans will want to go and see it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

this sounds kinda cool. any new trek is good as far as im concerned.

but no doubt, we'll have people bitching that it messes with the timeline and blah, blah, blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

By a clean slate they mean giving it a new scope, a wider viewing.

The problem is, that is what "Enterprise" (remember it started without the Star Trek: prefix in the beginning) was supposed to do. It didn't though, and look what happened.

Enterprise was intended to draw a whole new set of viewes into the Star Trek world as it didn't require any knowledge of previous Trek series to "get into" it - but people weren't interested. Even Trek fans began avoiding it - hence the re-engineering for the show mid-run.

The producers really need to think carefully before resurrecting any aspect of the series because if they handle it badly it could do even more damage.

Advertisement