Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless NTL

• 12-03-2005 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi Guys

The wireless thing interests me... I'm hooking up with NTL in the near future but I want to setup wirelessly. I know a cable modem is supplied but what exactly do I need to get if I want to hook up wirelessly? Routers etc...Also any models that people are currently using and what they think, would be useful. I'm going with the 300kbps initially....anyone currently using this here and what do they think?

Cheers...Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

You can do three things:
    1. Get a wireless cable modem which would replace your ntl modem
    2. Get a wireless router (such as the 3com router from www.komplett.ie) that you plug your modem into.
    3. Get a wireless adapter for your pc and use internet connection sharing through that adapter.

I have the 3com router from (2) and it works a treat with my NTL modem. Cost me 88euro. Came with a usb wireless adapter also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Also re: the NTL speed - 300kbps is grand for email/surfing etc. If you want to do anything more robust like playing games/downloading stuff, etc, then you might want to look at geting a faster version. I have the 1.5mbps package and its great.

With the 300kbps package, if theres a couple of you sharing the same connection it will seem quite slow. Plus the max download speed on that is about 37kb/s compared to 90 odd on the 750 and 185ish on the 1.5mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ! dwarfchucka

How many pc's are you linking and are they desktop or laptop? I've recently installed the 3com router and usb nic mentioned by boro and find them brilliant. I have a desktop running XP and a laptop running Windows 2000. To get everything talking to each other I've got 2 network cards in the desktop.
    These connect to the router which is fed by my 750 mb ntl modem(which i find does the job nicely and is affordable!). The usb connection goes in the laptop and i get really good signal strength on it all over the house.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭davemc

The 3Com you suggested seems like just the job. I've the desktop upstairs and the laptop which I use daily but I'd like to connect everything up wirelessly of course...

Sounds very much like my set up. My modem is upstairs next to the desktop so i've got an ethernet cable going from it to the router and two going from the router to the desktop. This was possible cos i have an upstairs tv point.
    If your only tv point is downstairs you might consider a wireless card in your desktop as well.NTL don't charge for installation so it won't change the price, its just you'll have a tv cable strung through your house on full view.

If you wanted the desktop to be wireless as well, you'd need a plug-in wireless card to share the BB and another to communicate with the laptop. I guess it might be possible to only have one comms card on your desktop but it might be a security risk.Need more advice on that one really.HTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

To get everything talking to each other I've got 2 network cards in the desktop.
    These connect to the router which is fed by my 750 mb ntl modem
    [and later]
    My modem is upstairs next to the desktop so i've got an ethernet cable going from it to the router and two going from the router to the desktop.

Why do you have two cables going from your router to two network cards in your desktop?

causal

Just the setup that suited me.Theres another two free ports available on the router if i need them. I had the cards already and its more secure as my internet connection doesn't get anywhere near my shared docs and files. There might be a better way but this works perfectly for me. :)

Advertisement