Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I stop my two dogs fighting?

• 12-03-2005 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I own four dogs, 1 female (neutered) and 3 males (none neutered). My problem is with two of the male dogs.They fight constantly over food, toys and other attention. I cant give one any attention in front of the other without there being a fight. Im afraid they will seriously hurt one and other some day. Their both very gentle with people and not one bit vicious. it would break my heart to have to get rid of one of them .Would anyone recommend spaying one of them? (I was told it would make them less territorial) or does anyone have any other ideas or advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

I'm amazed that none of your male dogs are neutered (unless you're a breeder, which doesn't seem to be the case). I think you should neuter all three asap. Leaving them unneutered was always going to cause problems. Be prepared to wait about 6 months before they calm down properly and stop fighting. Also, you might want to do some good training with the two problem dogs, they should be obediant at all times. I have two male dogs, and I got them neutered as soon as they hit 6 months. They are the best of friends, and play fight all the time, but never anything serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You need to neuter the males ASAP - Dogs are pack animals they will always fight to find the top dog but aggression is higher with un-neutered dogs - We have 11! 7 are males & they are ALL neutered only my 2 young female pups are still to be neutered. My dogs will on occasion fight - Duke my rescued Rottie & Max my lab always fight - Max is top dog & Duke does not like this! training should also help - You as the Pack leader are top dog & the 2 males are trying to find out which is the 2nd in comand. Once they are neutered & have worked out the pack order they will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I agree on the neutering, although it might not necessarily solve your problem, but should help.

Some more things:
    First: make sure that YOU really are the boss around the place. (I'm deliberately not saying "top dog" because dogs know very well that you are human and not a dog) make sure that your word counts, make them "work" for food, play, attention ,etc ...even if it is just by performing a "sit" before they get anything. That's called NILIF (nothing in life is free) and a very good, nonagressive method to establish the pecking order between you and the dogs.

Second: once you're sure you're in command, YOU do not tolerate fighting ...regardless of who started it and why. Any fighting or squabbling will be reprimanded by you. Dogs also have very subtle ways (posture, facial expressions, first through door, first to feed, etc) to establish their rank and do NOT need to fight it out (at least not all the time)

And thirdly: Once you are sure you know who rules the roost, that dog gets preferential treatment from you. Dogs do not understand democracy. Treating them equally might work with two, but certainly not with four. So once one of them has managed to make his/her way to the top, you need to acknowledge this and mustn't undermine him, as the second in command might see that as his / her chance.

Btw: in your situation it might very well be the female who is "top dog" and all the fighting is actually about "second place"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sabriel

Thanks for all the advice guys. Im definatly going to arrange an appointment with the vet to see about neutering them!

Advertisement