Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Climbing

Options
  • 12-03-2005 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to get into rock climbing and was just wondering if anybody would know where I could start.

Any info would be a great help ... any clubs around the country, what gear is needed and costs involved.

Is it best to start on those indoor climbing walls or can you jump straight into outdoor climbing?? Are there even any decent indoor walls in the country?

Are there may ppl out there interested in rock climbing?

Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The Irish Mountaineering Club welcome begineers and do climbing courses in Dalkey quarry during the summer. If you're just looking for a taster to see what it's like try phoning Tiglin about introductory courses - the intro courses usually last a day. If you're based in Dublin you can do a climbing course in UCD, its a basic how to use the wall deal.

Outdoors is always better than indoors - at any level.

G'Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭[InsertHandle]

Thanks a mil for the links evil. :)

It's something i've always wanted to try

Try it with Tiglin and if you like it then join the IMC. The IMC would be good for meeting other begineers and more experienced climbers alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭[InsertHandle]

Kewl .. Tiglin.com have courses starting in April

€90 seems like alot for about 6 hours but then again they do provide all the equipment and an instructor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Skank

Kewl .. Tiglin.com have courses starting in April

€90 seems like alot for about 6 hours but then again they do provide all the equipment and an instructor

All rite mate ya want to get into climbinb cool!!!

I started when i was 12 with my dad altho i only climb essy enough grades i can manege to claw up harder if i want to push my self but i dont , climbing is great the height scares the crap out of me but thats why i do i it such a rush ...

as for the tiglin course do the course and ask as many questions as possible and learn your rope work really good cause its most important , also is protection , u will also learn other things its great ...

I was taught bye Calvin Tourins in collage and if ya get him on the day ule learn so much of him , Dalkey is really cool to , for learning , also ule love peridise lost . its great .

90 quid seems like a lot of mney to spend on a climbing course at the end of the day its saftey at the end of the day ....also jut to let you no climbing gear costs a lot well yur talkin 500 essy including a bag and rope half decent rack , helemt which is optinal i just prefer a wolly hate but that casue i dont like helmets but enjoy the sport its cool also harness :cool:

also dont bye anything until ya have done the course .

and if ya get an opertunatiy to go to wales take it , did the bigist climb of my life a 1000 feat and it scared the **** out of me but shore thats the fun of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

if you start off with some indoor stuff, you wont have to go buying rope or a helmet. rock climbing shoes start at about 50 euro if you order them online. harness for about 25. starting off just wearing runners is ok, but once you start using proper climbing shoes, you'll notice a huge difference...
    I think if you go to UCD you can rent a harness from them for the time you're there.... i know you certainly used to be able to.
    so if you climb a bit there, you can pretty much go climbing having bought no gear at all, which is kinda handy.
    first thing i bought was a chalk bag and some chalk. i have slowly accumulated enough gear for climbing over the last while, with the exception of dynamic ropes. all i have is ****loads of static.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sorry to bump this, just if anyone has any more information, post away :) I've been thinking of taking up rock climbing/camping type sports. I'm dying to go travelling cos I love outdoors and different scenery, etc., so it's depressing being stuck in Dublin all the time. This type of thing would be a bit of relief from Dublin, but I could still go to college and stuff (the reason why I'm staying in Dublin and not moving to Australia or similar).

Thanks

Your college should have a mountaineering club, you could join that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 r1g2b3

#1 way = find a mate who climbs.
    #2 way = join a college climbing club.
    #3 way = do a course WITH A MATE, no point in you being the only person you know who climbs, you'll need a belay bunny :-)
    #4 way = join an indoor gym such as westwood etc. But beware, this will build your strength and technique for indoor climbing. You will not be able to transfer the technical skills outside without doing a course/mate anyway.

Westwood have a climbing club that does climb outdoors in season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 r1g2b3

true, but that only launched 'properly' a month or 2 ago to my knowledge... so it hasn't been in-season yet! Didn't think of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dan_85

Hey all just on the topic of joining clubs and what not... do i need to be in the collge to actually join the club, I'm based in limerick and I know ul have a club but I'm in a different college... any suggestions. I have access to a climbing wall other than that one but I don't have the equipment. any Idea how much I could get equipment for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I did a little bit of climbing in UCD when I was a student there but I am now finished and no longer in Dublin. I'd love to keep at it, does anyone know of any clubs in the Waterford/South Kilkenny area or if WIT has a climbing club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Dan_85 wrote: »
    Hey all just on the topic of joining clubs and what not... do i need to be in the collge to actually join the club, I'm based in limerick and I know ul have a club but I'm in a different college... any suggestions. I have access to a climbing wall other than that one but I don't have the equipment. any Idea how much I could get equipment for...

You don't have to be in UL to join the OPC. Im in it and membership includes access to all the equipment and the opportunity to go on trips. We had a climbing trip to Ballykeefe quarry last weekend. We also have a good climbing wall with some very experienced climbers always willing to offer some advice. Membership for non students is ~€30, but it is money well spent. Drop by the wall some evening, it is open from 7-10pm monday, tuesday and thursday, and the lads will answer any questions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

spaceylou wrote: »
    I did a little bit of climbing in UCD when I was a student there but I am now finished and no longer in Dublin. I'd love to keep at it, does anyone know of any clubs in the Waterford/South Kilkenny area or if WIT has a climbing club?

Rathgormack Climbing Club in the Comeraghs. They also have a bouldering wall. I think WIT may be restarting their adventure club but no wall until they build their new sports complex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Thanks for that down south...hoping to find something a bit closer to the city as I don't always have access to a car but will keep them in mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fresh_Air

A friend of mine used to work for Tiglin and now gives private hill walking and mountain climbing instuction. She operates in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, if you are interested in contacting her then sned me a private message and I will pass on the details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Pawelek

What would be the best indoor climbing wall in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pawelek wrote: »
    What would be the best indoor climbing wall in Dublin?

UCD not need to be in the college, 8 quid a visit
    Trinity college, though I think you need to be a student?
    Sandymount gym has one but you need to be a member.

UCD not need to be in the college, 8 quid a visit
    Trinity college, though I think you need to be a student?
    Sandymount gym has one but you need to be a member.

Yeah... I'm already a member in UCD... I was thinkin' of something different but without a membership...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

www.climbing.ie is pretty good for info and has info on climbing walls, also on the forum people looking for climbing partners.

cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pawelek wrote: »
    Yeah... I'm already a member in UCD... I was thinkin' of something different but without a membership...

Dalkey Quarry when the weather gets a bit better is also an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

Ahh the weather ATM is grand, the cold improves the friction;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

liamo333 wrote: »
    Ahh the weather ATM is grand, the cold improves the friction;-)
    ...and if you climb outside for long enough, you'll lose a couple of fingers - ideal for those tiny little holds ;)

Advertisement