Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

A tricky one

• 12-03-2005 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Here it is: I've got winxp pro installed as my os#1 and Xp home as os#2. I cannot boot into Xp Pro as the drive has been corrupted. (chkdsk/hdd utils cant fix it). I can get into Xp home no probs.

My problem is that all of my Applications/games need the registry info from xp pro to run. So i'm looking for a way to export a .reg file or something from Xp pro whilst running xp home. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

I don't quite follow your logic....

If the XP Pro is damaged as you described, you can't get at its registry to export it.

OTOH - When you boot up XP Home can you see the XP Pro partition in Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management....?

osmethod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

osmethod: yes I can see it there. My xp pro registry is not damaged at all. it is only a portion of the boot-up files that are damaged (boot.ini or something ,probably.)

There is quite a good chance that my registry is fine and I really want to import it into xp home.

try the following:

!! Extreme Caution Advised.....

1. Boot up XP Home....
    2. Open boot.ini from the C: drive
    3. insert the following lines at the end of the file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="XP Pro" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="XP Pro" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="XP Pro" /fastdetect

Note: The first line should already exist at the end of the file. Note the numbers in brackets 1,2,3,4. Your existing one will probably be 1.

Save boot.ini and then reboot...

A menu will appear with 4 entries. Try each one and see can you get XP Pro to boot now.

osmethod

osmethod: no i have the option to boot to xppro at startup, but the install is corrupted. It goes half way to boot but it stops. I just need to know if it is possible to get the registry hive files from an old install and import them into the new install. Thanks anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kizzy2003

Has it ever booted up while the 2 o/s have been on it

And why running home and pro?

• Advertisement

Check the following link...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q307545

Failing that I would suggest making a recovery CD with BartPE. This will boot an xp environment on cd and may allow you view the xp pro registry. It has a tool as a plugin (reghives) which can enable you to export the hives to ascii files.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Parsing them, if successful is another matter.

Failing that you'll just have to re-install...

osmethod

yep bartPE sorted me out. Thanks a lot. I left all my cds and stuff in Ireland you see (in in the states for as few months) and I have limited hardware/software resources here! Reinstalling was just not an option. Cheers

Advertisement