Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Home network funny problem

• 12-03-2005 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Funny, but totally head wrecking.

My problem is my laptop connects to the wireless network and then disconnects almost instantly.

I have IOL BB and this is connected to Zycel Prestige 600 series DSL Modem which is connected to my Netgear wireless router which is connected to my LAN hub. One desktop is also connected to the wireless router. Aparently all security is done at the router.
    My brothers old Toshiba tecra 8100 laptop with a cisco systems 350 wireless card is connected wirelessly to this network. it usually works for a while (some days/hours) then stops working. usually this is fixed my totally restarting the computer and reseting the wireless card. this issue i can live with. his computer is running windows professional 2000 with service pack 4 i think.

my problem is, my laptop (windows xp professional sp2), dell inspiron 6000, centrino with iintel pro/wireless 2915 abg card won't remain on the network for more than 10 seconds wirelessly. It finds the network, connects for 5-10 seconds, then disconnects and loses the network. when it refinds the network it can't reconnect without me disabling and reenabling the card. then the cycle starts again. i'm using the intel program to connect but i've also tried using windows but it hangs on finding network stage.

Some settings, I'm quite sure these are all in sync between router, my laptop and the other laptop, the access point identification is open and data encrpyion is done by WEP key. I've entered the key in. I've also entered the mac address of the laptops in the router settings and in the connection profile.

I'm googled this and found many similar but not exact cases which seem to have contradictory and random solutions. it seems everyone has their own specific problem and solution. Can anyone please tell me what to do to get this to work?

My problem is my laptop connects to the wireless network and then disconnects almost instantly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ! dwarfchucka

couple of questions.
    what system is the desktop operaing on and was this laptop connected to the network and working ok before, or is it a new addition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

what system is the desktop operaing

Windows XP Professional Fully Updated.
    this laptop connected to the network and working ok before, or is it a new addition?

my brother's laptop was working before. my laptop is a new addition.

What settings are enabled on your pc's in the network/dial-up connections area.(under properties)
    To get my system going i needed these:

1) Client for Microsoft Windows
    2) File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Windows
    3) NetBEUI

The last one is critical and often not showing on XP systems.

Hi Thanks.

The first 2 settings were enabled already and I enabled the last one. It didn't fix the problem. I then messed around with a few settings here and my LAN wouldn't connect. However, I changed it to optain Ip automatically and it's working again.

Or more ideas? Can the LAn and the WLAN interfere with each other?

The two (wide & local) should be seperate to keep everything secure.this normally involves the master computer having 2 network cards.All pc's on the network need to have netbeui ,file/printer sharing & client ms networks enabled.The network card dealing with the internet connection has tcp/ip enabled ONLY.

• Advertisement

Just remembered something else you need to check.While you have the window open for your LAN network properties (the one with all the boxes checked), highlight the tcp/ip line and click "properties" to get to the automatic ip option window.Click "advanced",then select the WINS tab. Under the "NetBios Setting" area, select the "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"

i haven't checked this, and i will, but i still don't understand why one laptop is working and the others aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

From my experience I noticed that WEP and DHCP don't mix well.
    I suppose you want to remain secure with WEP and MAC filtering, so my suggestion would be to assign IP manually to all interfaces around the house, and your WEP-enabled wireless should work fine.

For starters, you could try disabling WEP, while keeping the DHCP active (less work), and see if it fixes your problem. This test might be a lot quicker than the manual IP addressing.

Cheers,
    JP

upgraded the firmware of the router and it's working.
    i'm yet to reenable wep but fingers crossed.

Advertisement