Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

british bulldog

• 12-03-2005 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

hey guys, i'm having a bit of trouble finding a breeder for british bulldogs in ireland, i was hoping to get some advice or help from any of u that either breeds them personally or has bought one, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

surely you'd need to go to britain to get a british bulldog. i think all the bulldogs born in ireland are irish. maybe up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Try the Kennel Club, they should have details of all registered breeders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I like bulldogs. They usually are pretty cool and relaxed characters.
    Unfortunately, as a breed, they are not free of complications. First of all some individuals suffer terribly with their breathing, as their nose and throat is just not a functional shape anymore. Others have constant problems with their teeth and eyes and some have terrible problems with hips and joints.
    All due to breeders overdoing it on shortness of snout, underbite, crooked legs, weight and so on. Quite a few bitches cannot give birth naturally anymore and the pups have to be "born" by cesarian section, as their heads are just too big.

Those are reasons why I personally would not get a bulldog, as much as I like them.

In the interst of your future dog (and your wallet !!) try and do some research into breeders. Go to dog shows, ask a few informed questions. You should be able to find a responsible breeder out there, who tries to counteract these excesses. (Unfortunately the more "healthy" dogs probably won't be the ones that win all the shows as the breed standards aren't necessarily in the dogs best interest, so finding the right breeder might take a bit longer than you might like)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

thanks man, that some really handy advice. i know its a big investment money-wise and personally so i'll be sure to take my time in looking into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Found this: http://www.irishdogs.ie/Breeders/To%20Breed%20or%20Not.htm on another website. This should give you a good indication what to look for in a breeder and what questions to ask.

Good luck on your "quest"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Osgood Bulldogs

el rabitos wrote:
    hey guys, i'm having a bit of trouble finding a breeder for british bulldogs in ireland, i was hoping to get some advice or help from any of u that either breeds them personally or has bought one, thanks
    Hi having recently relocated to Ireland we would be a British Bulldog breeder and would be happy to advise you in anyway if you are still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

yeah of course, that would be great. any advice you could give me on the subject would be great. i'm aware of heath issues that can occur with the breed and that it would be a big commitment, any advice would be welcome and your own particular price range recomendations would be welcome. feel free to pm me .thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Donna-Cork

el rabitos wrote: »
    yeah of course, that would be great. any advice you could give me on the subject would be great. i'm aware of heath issues that can occur with the breed and that it would be a big commitment, any advice would be welcome and your own particular price range recomendations would be welcome. feel free to pm me .thanks

Hi, i'm just wondering if you ever had any luck getting a bulldog, i've been looking for one now for weeks but can't seem to find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I'm always one to push for a rescue first, and with that in mind...

I seen a British Bulldog on www.dogsindistress.org (Ashtown pound, Dublin 15) last night.

I know, i've seen him & applied for adoption of him but i got a reply saying he wouldn't be suited to my home as he'd be on his own 3 days a week from 9 - 6. I replied to them again saying i was considering getting another dog also so they would have company in each other for those days. Still waiting on a reply back but i know alot of people are looking for him so i'm not holding my breath. Thanks anyway. Anyone know of any other bulldogs for sale in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I was mad keen to get one of those years ago. I ended up with a gundog. A friend got one. What a character, fantastic dog, really good fun.

Basically the dog lived in pain and discomfort. Injections every three days, skin operations, constant diarrhea, constant farting, breathing difficulties. The poor fella had to be put to sleep at six years of age. Holidays for the family were a nightmare, Pet insurance was three times the normal rate (I don't think they will insure them any more) I quickly changed my mind.

Now because of the wafflers on this forum I am looking at taking on an unwanted dog, can't see myself ever "buying" a dog again. :mad: I'm converted.

Ya i'm looking at all the dog homes at the moment and i am definately going to adopt a dog. There is so many out there that need homes. I've just always had my heart set on a bulldog so thats when i decided i'd get 2. So i'll adopt a dog from a home and hopefully find a bulldog soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

lightening wrote: »
    I was mad keen to get one of those years ago. I ended up with a gundog. A friend got one. What a character, fantastic dog, really good fun.

Basically the dog lived in pain and discomfort. Injections every three days, skin operations, constant diarrhea, constant farting, breathing difficulties. The poor fella had to be put to sleep at six years of age. Holidays for the family were a nightmare, Pet insurance was three times the normal rate (I don't think they will insure them any more) I quickly changed my mind.

Now because of the wafflers on this forum I am looking at taking on an unwanted dog, can't see myself ever "buying" a dog again. :mad: I'm converted.
    put to sleep for farting?????

Donna-Cork wrote: »
    I know, i've seen him & applied for adoption of him but i got a reply saying he wouldn't be suited to my home as he'd be on his own 3 days a week from 9 - 6. I replied to them again saying i was considering getting another dog also so they would have company in each other for those days. Still waiting on a reply back but i know alot of people are looking for him so i'm not holding my breath. Thanks anyway. Anyone know of any other bulldogs for sale in Ireland?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/search/search.do?words=bulldog&Submit=Search&category=&county=

Read the post again, try your best to concentrate and pay really really close attention to the big words like breathing difficulties, injections, skin problems and the diarrhea.

good man. ;)

Thanks for that, just checked it out. That website seems to be the only one that has genuine ads on it. He's way too expensive for me though. I have €1000 available to spend on one. I know they're usually a bit more than that but i'm hoping i can get one within my price range.

Thanks for that, just checked it out. That website seems to be the only one that has genuine ads on it. He's way too expensive for me though. I have €1000 available to spend on one. I know they're usually a bit more than that but i'm hoping i can get one within my price range.
    put a wanted add on the site with your price range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

:eek::eek:

That is a crazy amount for a dog!!! Oh my god!

Why do you want a bulldog so much? Do you want to breed them, or is it just going to be a family pet?

I just want him as a family pet. I've always wanted one and now that i'm in the position to get one i'm having no luck. I'd pay more if i could but just can't afford it. I'll post some bulldog wanted ads up now and hopefully they'll get me somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote: »
    Read the post again, try your best to concentrate and pay really really close attention to the big words like breathing difficulties, injections, skin problems and the diarrhea.

good man. ;)

Whats your problem sunshine?..

All Davey did was pick out the word "farting" - big deal, all dogs fart - no need to kill them for it.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    "farting" - big deal, all dogs fart - no need to kill them for it.

Its pretty obvious the dog wasn't put down for farting. The dog was in pain, the vet and owner felt it was only fair to have the dog put down. Its a tough decision, but some day you too will have to make it.

And... I don't have a problem ;) Carry on....

Glowing wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

That is a crazy amount for a dog!!! Oh my god!

Why do you want a bulldog so much? Do you want to breed them, or is it just going to be a family pet?
    they do fetch €3,000 to €5,000 and worth it a great breed ,they are not most expensive dog as they are other breeds more expensive,its not about how dear they are its the love they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mrjacko

hiya, sorry i know this topic is 2 years old but i just came across it,
    i have a british bulldog and i intend to breed her when she is able to do so.
    they are an amazing breed, she has a wonderful personality and does not suffer many health issues.
    she had a minor skin infection and had to get an injection every week for 7 weeks at the vets, but it was only €10 each time which wouldnt break the bank
    all dogs can have health problem but they are great and are worth every penny for all the happiness they can bring to you !
    i would definitley recommend the breed
    i will find it very hard to part with her pups when she has them:(

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Hey jacko. BBs are fab dogs but make sure you do a hell of a lot of research before you breed them. Having a litter of BB pups can be crazy expensive and dangerous (artificial insemination in a lot of cases now to get her preggers and C-section births in most cases as the pups heads are too big) it'll cost you a fortune and will put a lot of strain on your bitch which could be very dangerous for her. There are dozens of threads on here about breeding (and they will probably convince you that you shouldn't) that you should read before you do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

mrjacko wrote: »
    hiya, sorry i know this topic is 2 years old but i just came across it,
    i have a british bulldog and i intend to breed her when she is able to do so.
    they are an amazing breed, she has a wonderful personality and does not suffer many health issues.
    she had a minor skin infection and had to get an injection every week for 7 weeks at the vets, but it was only €10 each time which wouldnt break the bank
    all dogs can have health problem but they are great and are worth every penny for all the happiness they can bring to you !
    i would definitley recommend the breed
    i will find it very hard to part with her pups when she has them:(

I really would urge to really consider breeding her unless you are a very experienced Bulldog owner and breeder. These dogs have huge problems whelping normally and more often than not they have to have a cesarean which is very costly. Breeding these dogs should really only be done by someone who has a lot of experience with the breed.

You say she doesnt have "many" help problems, would that mean that she has some? She should be health tested for Bulldog breed problems before even contemplating breeding her and if she suffers from skin problems then i def would not be breeding her as you risk passing this problem onto her puppies.

Have you shown her at any shows? How do you know if shes an excellent example of the breed so she should be bred?
    Please think very carefully before breeding her. These dogs are not like other dogs when it comes to breeding, there is huge risk to both mother and pups so you would need to think of this before going down the road of breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 marset

There are many excellent breeders, you need to find one who has been breeding for several years and has the knowlege to advise you.
    A breeder in Lismore Co Waterford he has been involved with Bulldogs for over 40 years. Make sure you get the 5 generation pedigree and a vet cert. The puppy should have been inocculated and microchipped and you will need to arrange a booster at 12 weeks old.

They are adorable dogs and worth the expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

andreac wrote: »
    I really would urge to really consider breeding her unless you are a very experienced Bulldog owner and breeder. These dogs have huge problems whelping normally and more often than not they have to have a cesarean which is very costly. Breeding these dogs should really only be done by someone who has a lot of experience with the breed.

You say she doesnt have "many" help problems, would that mean that she has some? She should be health tested for Bulldog breed problems before even contemplating breeding her and if she suffers from skin problems then i def would not be breeding her as you risk passing this problem onto her puppies.

Have you shown her at any shows? How do you know if shes an excellent example of the breed so she should be bred?
    Please think very carefully before breeding her. These dogs are not like other dogs when it comes to breeding, there is huge risk to both mother and pups so you would need to think of this before going down the road of breeding.
    in fairness andrea the kc s version of an" excellent example of the breed " would mean nothing to me as the requirements for this breed in there eyes is rife with health problems.

pokertalk wrote: »
    in fairness andrea the kc s version of an" excellent example of the breed " would mean nothing to me as the requirements for this breed in there eyes is rife with health problems.

This was posted months ago:confused:

Also why only pick on one small part of my reply? Most of it discuss's the difficulties which this breed suffers from when it comes to breeding and that would be a lot more important to me than the kennel club thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

andreac wrote: »
    This was posted months ago:confused:

Also why only pick on one small part of my reply? Most of it discuss's the difficulties which this breed suffers from when it comes to breeding and that would be a lot more important to me than the kennel club thing...
    you were the one that asked the a poster has she showed her dog and i just said that showing his /herdog does not mean it is a good example of the breed as we all know that in certin breeds the kc look for traits that are not necessarily in the best intrests of that breeds health .true no ??just making my point .y does it matter how old the post is
    i think marset brought this one back to life

• Advertisement

pokertalk wrote: »
    you were the one that asked the a poster has she showed her dog and i just said that showing his /herdog does not mean it is a good example of the breed as we all know that in certin breeds the kc look for traits that are not necessarily in the best intrests of that breeds health .true no ??just making my point .y does it matter how old the post is
    i think marset brought this one back to life

It was one query out of the whole post that i replied with, most of my reply was talking about the difficulties that this breed suffers with when they are whelping which is far more important than kennel club information but i would still like to see a dog be worthy of being an excellent example of its breed and be health tested which go hand in hand for my requirements and needs when it comes to breeding.

Im not getting into a debate about kennel clubs view on breed standards, this thread is about bulldogs and i answered the poster when they queried about breeding theirs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement