Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHS --> DVD. Copyright protected.....

• 12-03-2005 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭

I want to copy my copyright protected wedding VHS video onto a DVD.

I have a DVD recorder and I can copy VHS tapes onto DVDs (- programmes I have recorded off tv and that.)

However, when I come to copy MY wedding video to DVD it comes up with some COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.... type of message.

The VHS wedding video - we paid oodles of cash for it so I think I should be able to copy it without problem to a DVD ?

Any ideas how I can do this without shelling out MORE cash to get it done ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

to remove the copyright encryption you need a device called a video copier. i have one but the shop where i got it dont sell them anymore. to the best of my knowledge if you run the video through a time base corrector it will allow it to copy.

you just have to get your hands on a time base corrector!

its a bit weird that your wedding isd copy protected...

moe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I definately saw an item in Maplin Electronics that carries a "Warning" that it may remove copy protection!

Just ask the lads in Maplin, they'll sort you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Very early forms of copy protection could be bypassed by taking the video Out from the TV to the destintion VCR. The TV reconstructed or re-inserted the sync pulses that were removed in the protection procedure.

Some old VCRs - maybe 10 years old - were immune to the newer Macrovision system and didn't suffer because of it but unfortunately the tapes they output still contain the Macrovision protection so the copy still was effected.

The majority of TV sets are not effected and don't display any artifacts from the system. I'm not sure if a TBC will cure Macrovision although there are circuits and devices specifucally for the job. This is an example.

Have you tried a different DVD recorder by the way ? What about copying it into a computer and burn the DVD from there. Most editing packages can overcome the Macrovision system.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I think this scart lead from Sonel is what you need, englander. Not too expensive either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Thanks all for advice. Got a few avenues to go down.

Only have one DVD recorder - do not have access to another.

My PCs are old and rickety (or belong to work) which dont allow DVD writing technologies unfortunately (I will get some proper gear soon....probably).

Scart lead from Sonel is looking favourite at the mo - thanks Shamrok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭dave101

them copy devices still leave colour bleed in the copy. your better off getting an old fersuson or look up www.vcdhelp.com and ask in the forums for any units have have no macro filters on the machine. some of the cheap ones dont like the zx vcrs power city used to sell.
    if your stuck ,i can do it for you.
    but the scart lead you can get would be the best option.
    hope goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

englander wrote:
    I want to copy my copyright protected wedding VHS video onto a DVD.

I have a DVD recorder and I can copy VHS tapes onto DVDs (- programmes I have recorded off tv and that.)

However, when I come to copy MY wedding video to DVD it comes up with some COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.... type of message.

The VHS wedding video - we paid oodles of cash for it so I think I should be able to copy it without problem to a DVD ?

Any ideas how I can do this without shelling out MORE cash to get it done ?

Thanks.

Just because it was your wedding doesn't mean you own the copyright to the film. The copyright is actually owned by the photographer unless the contract you signed with him to do the film specifically transferred the rights to you.

The only legal way you can get a legal copy is to go back to the photographer.
    Discussion of how to defraud the photographer of his rights is against boards.ie rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭dave101

with the prices them photo guys charge, are you joking lol 80 quid a copy my moth was charged. lock tread now please its getting a gray area lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement