Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD CPU's Venice/San Diego/Turion/Toledo

Options
  • 12-03-2005 10:24pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Lots of AMD news for you.

Okay first up I have found a demonstration/benchmark of AMD's dual core Toledo running at 2.4Ghz
    http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hwupgrade.it%2Farticoli%2F1193%2Findex.html&langpair=it%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
    No release date confirmed. Nothing too spectacular.

Next is AMD's new single core chips using the new Venice and San Deigo Cores.
    The winchesters (3000 3200 3500) are getting a new core revision moving from D0 to E3. I have no idea what this new revision does for these chips.

Out next month (April 4th) we have the 3000 3200 3500 3800 venice core. Unkown clocks speeds and cache levels will be at 512kb L2. SSE3 support and enhanced memory controller will be on these chips. All of the chips are 90nm.
    Rumors are circulating that these may be cheaper than Winchester???

The already out AMD 64 4000+ Clawhammer (130nm rev CG) will be switching to the 90nm San Diego Core (rev E4) expected 15th of April. These also come with the SSE3 instruction set and tweaked memory controller.
    The 4200+ will also be San Diego no cofirmed release date.

First out of the block of all these chips will be the AMD 64 FX 57 (April 3rd)
    2.8Ghz 1MB cache 90nm San Diego Rev E4.

Also Semprons have been spotted on the 939 platform.
    http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?category=1&id=1110536547
    No idea of the translation.

AMD 64 Turion mobile dual core cpu will come in the following forms.
    2.0Ghz 1MB cache (35w)
    1.8Ghz 1MB cache (35w or 25w)
    1.8Ghz 512kb cache(35w or 25w
    1.6Ghz 1MB cache (35w or 25w)
    all of the above will be 90nm.

In other news at the Cebit technology show in Germany
    ATI have been privately demonstrating there version of SLI.
    At this stage its unclear weather ATI's version will require two identical cards or will it work with 2 different ones. (i.e the faster card scales itself back to the slower cards speed)

Nvidia confirmed and displayed the exsistence of the 512MB version of the 6800 Ultra.

Asus claim there dual core 6800 Ultra will be faster than any of the next generation of gpu's (ATI's r520). Its not clear weather these dual core cards will run in SLI (4 cores anyone?) All that is known is it requires alot of power to run the card.

S3 graphics also revealed the first card with pixel shader 4.0
    The card itself called GammaChrome S18 (performs about the same as X600XT).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Thanks for the info man, really helpful, a lot of new stuff in the near future to ong for, heheh. Anyone here plan to go for the fx57??? man that would be some beast :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I think i might hold of a little while with getting a socket 939 cpu :D
    Are them new venice chips a guaranteed release date in early april?

Jozi

jozi wrote:
    I think i might hold of a little while with getting a socket 939 cpu :D
    Are them new venice chips a guaranteed release date in early april?

Jozi
    Is anything in the pc industry "guarenteed" lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

gline wrote:
    Is anything in the pc industry "guarenteed" lol:D
    I'd like to think it is but that would be fooling my self.
    Maybe just get a winchester 939 and at some other time get a venice 939, will know then what the clock like to etc.

Jozi

• Advertisement

Reports have surfaced of issues with the new venice cores at the cebit. Apparently there not working on certain nforce3/4 motherboards and there is no quick fix. Those wishing to change there 939 newcastle or winchester chip may need new boards. This is because AMD changed its thermal regulation protection and that's what makes it incompatible with at least some of the Nforce 3 and Nforce 4 boards out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I might go with FX-57 only if AMD fixes the subzero problems they had with winchester.

neokenzo wrote:
    I might go with FX-57 only if AMD fixes the subzero problems they had with winchester.

What problems was that????

Winchester cpu's have huge problems booting with subzero temps. Not many Winchester owners were able to use phase change with the chip. It doesnt happen to all the Winchester but most of them.

neokenzo wrote:
    Winchester cpu's have huge problems booting with subzero temps. Not many Winchester owners were able to use phase change with the chip. It doesnt happen to all the Winchester but most of them.

Wow ok that suks, didnt know that

• Advertisement

Yeah it suck big time, I really hope AMD sort the problem out with their new .9nm chips.

Yeah Neokenzo I was reading about your difficultys overclocking the FX 55 with your mach II on extremeoverclocking forums. Any luck since.

Its unkown at this time if the new cores will have fixed the cold boot issue and the 2GB of ram issue. Hope they are fixed. 90nm FX chip should really fly with the Mach II cooling it.

did you manage to overclock it at all??? if so what speed you gettin with the 55 on the mach 2??

I did overclocked it on air well but havent been lucky with Mach II yet. Still trying to find the max I can go but doesnt seem want to go high unfortunately :(

neokenzo wrote:
    I did overclocked it on air well but havent been lucky with Mach II yet. Still trying to find the max I can go but doesnt seem want to go high unfortunately :(

wats the max u have got it up to???

On air, 280*10. On Mach II, still working on it. Cant seem to get a stable speed.

Update on the Dual Core Toledo chips.

AMD have said this dual core chips will be backward compatable with any motherboard that can currently support the FX 55 CPU. All that is required is a bios update.

The dual core will run a mere 6 watts higher than the current FX cpu's coming in at a total of 110w. Meaning that current heatskins should be able to handle them without problem.

ETA second half of this year.
    Expect the dual core Optrons before Quater 2 is over.

Azza wrote:
    Update on the Dual Core Toledo chips.

AMD have said this dual core chips will be backward compatable with any motherboard that can currently support the FX 55 CPU. All that is required is a bios update.

The dual core will run a mere 6 watts higher than the current FX cpu's coming in at a total of 110w. Meaning that current heatskins should be able to handle them without problem.

this is all very good news, i think the dual cores will sell really well if the above is true, as no motherboard upgrade required or no new cooling solution required, very good, mite have to upgrade soon :D

ALARM
    VENICE CORE OVERCLOCK

Spotted Neokenzo posts on extremeoverclocking.com about the Venice core been given a good overclock.
    I went to the XS forums.

Venice 3800 CPU overclocking
    2.4Ghz (200x12) 1.4v

Using 1.65v went to 300x11

Which gives you 3.3Ghz
    Using clock gen he got to 3.4Ghz from within windows.

Drool!!

VERY nice :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement