Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocket Book by Ian Ridpath - Books what do you go for?

Options
  • 12-03-2005 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I went into Easons the other day and ordered Nightwatch and Norton's Star Atlas and Reference Handbook, 20th Edition by Ian Ridpath.

I had to order these as they were not in stock... but while I was there I quickly browsed the selection they had and I came across a little pocket book, again by Ian Ridpath. I snapped this for a bargain 7 euro! It's called Stars (Collins Gem) and consists of all constellations and easy to find stars up to mag 6. I tried it tonight with a tight torch with red cellopane and it really suits the job. It's so portable and it is detailed for someone who wants to learn the locations of Constellations and the more common stars. Must recommend this!

Anyone got some good astronomy books or have their own recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Hi,

Collins do a slightly larger guide to their "Gem" series that I use as my general constellation guide. "Turn left at orion" is another similar book that I've heard people speak highly of though I don't own it.

As a starmap I use Sky Atlas 2000.0 laminated delux edition (black stars on white background, to me this format is easier to read in red light). This is availble in several flavours, the field version has white stars on a black background, there are also unlaminated versions. I went with this rather than the Norton atlas because I just wanted an atlas, that was laminated and could take being out in the dew.

As a general Astronomy reference textbook I have, Universe 6th ed. by Feedman & Kaufmann. Its a college textbook that was on the reading list for a course I did, but its one of the rare textbooks that is actually interesting to read! I think later editions are split into two books.

For those in Dublin, looking for astronomy books, the Astronomy section in Hodges Figgis is worth checking out. They have a good range and the prices are competitive with amazon when you take shipping into account.

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

hamster wrote:
    Stars (Collins Gem)[/URL] and consists of all constellations and easy to find stars up to mag 6. I tried it tonight with a tight torch with red cellopane and it really suits the job. It's so portable and it is detailed for someone who wants to learn the locations of Constellations and the more common stars. Must recommend this!

So true... best book EVER.. its neat, portable, easy to use reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I have a Collins guide to the stars and planets, by Ian Ridpath and Wil Tirion as my main guide. It is portable and full of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I went in Astronomy Ireland's shop and got a look in at a few of the books there. Once that seems to be recommended is Exploring the Night Sky with Binoculars by Patrick Moore.

Actually, on another tangent, have any of you ever listened to their radio broadcast on 103.20 FM on tuesday nights at 8pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Just the once. I am a member. A lot of people say the main man is a bit full of himself, and there is an element of that alright. Let's just say he is not the most popular person in the world.

On books, the main astronomy/astronomy-related ones I have:

Collins Guide to Stars and Planets (1988 edition).
    Universe - A Channel 4 book, accompanied a TV series. Heather Couper and Nigel Henbest.
    The Natural History of the Universe - Colin A. Ronan.
    A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking.
    A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson.

I am currenty reading "Cosmos" by Karl Sagan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Easons called me today... and I went down and collected Nightwatch and Norton's Star Atlas (20th Ed).

Nightwatch (ring bind) version is a lovely book, the ring bind allows you to easily use it outside and there are really nice constellation guides in it with introductions...

Norton's, a much more serious book, looks like a "great pick me up reference in detail when required" from start to finish - quite a lot of detail packed in there. Juicy stats!

Advertisement