Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, am I the only one on here that can't wait for WipEout Pure...?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

3d on both screens would kill the poor little ds

psp wipeout looks great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dogg Thang

You could be right about running both screens at 30fps, Rew, but I'm not sure how much would have to drop in terms of polygons and textures for that to happen. I know that both screens can run 3D but that the processing power only allows decent 3D on one screen at once which is why you'll usually only see 3D on one screen at a time. Feel the Magic however has a couple of parts that look like 3D is running on both screens but with severely limited amounts of polygons and no textures.

The idea of running a second screen as a rear-view in a WO type game could possibly happen by having a really basic flat shaded rear-view with no detail - like a Tron-type monitor. Maybe. It would be very cool if it worked but, like I say, abilities to run 3D on both screens seem limited.

I wonder if VG+ will ship Pure today? I so hope so. Hmm, just checked their site and the expected date for Pure seems to be gone. That's a bad sign, right?

Dogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

seeing as how the PSP isn't due for launch in the states til the 24th, I wouldn't worry about it yet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

bounty wrote:
    3d on both screens would kill the poor little ds

psp wipeout looks great
    Sounds to me like people are assuming it cannt because they havent seen it do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

sounds like people lick sonys balls imo. just cause they have the money to buy pay third party developers they have loads of games. thats why the ps2 sells. becuase it has a greater range of games. not better quality though.

• Advertisement

The DS uses dual processors - ARM 7 and ARM9. This from www.cube-europe.com -

"Now due to the fact that only the ARM 9 chip can display 3D graphics, it does mean that only one screen can display these beautiful visuals at a time, but if the game requires it, the action can jump from 3D on the top screen to 3D on the bottom."

Now I don't know if that's true or not but I think it makes sense that the reason we haven't seen the DS do it or heard of an upcoming game even attempting it could be because it can't do it.

But to be honest, that's all besides the point - this is a topic about PSP Wipeout. Evad lhorg's comment threw this thread over the edge of ridiculous fanboyism. Can we not have a topic about the PSP or DS without bringing out the fanboys? Honestly, evad you sound like a ten year old.

Dogg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

WipEout 2097 is the definitive version, the N64 one is nice but the clipping is abysmal, the scenery popping into existence mere metres ahead of your craft.
    Quantum redshift feels like a tribute free-ware game!

I believe the inspiration for WipEout springs not from F-Zero on the Snes (and even if it did I think the GameCube one took plenty of inspiration right back from WipEout on the PS) but from Powerdrome on the Amiga, British developement house came up with WipEout and they were Amiga developers before the Sony thing. Thats another thing, PowerDrome on the PS2 and Xbox, thats a scary hard game!
    Beautiful though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    WipEout 2097 is the definitive version, the N64 one is nice but the clipping is abysmal, the scenery popping into existence mere metres ahead of your craft.
    Quantum redshift feels like a tribute free-ware game!

I believe the inspiration for WipEout springs not from F-Zero on the Snes (and even if it did I think the GameCube one took plenty of inspiration right back from WipEout on the PS) but from Powerdrome on the Amiga, British developement house came up with WipEout and they were Amiga developers before the Sony thing. Thats another thing, PowerDrome on the PS2 and Xbox, thats a scary hard game!
    Beautiful though
    Ah nice info CiDeRmAn, and a big thanks for putting the thread back on topic. My own fault for bringing up the DS thing I suppose, but FFS lads, if I want to read platform f@nboi sniping I'll go to an Amazon review site or something.

Well VG+ has changed their date to March 22nd. Man, the wait is killing me.

Dogg.

Advertisement