Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland - when do I become resident?

Options
  • 13-03-2005 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

We are in the process of moving to Ireland from England. We bought two cars in England in January and obviously are looking at the VRT situation. One of them is in my car, one is owned by my wife. We had not intended to move until December 05 but family circumstances have brought this date forward.

It looks to me like I may start in June working in Ireland, but living in hotel Mon-Fri and going back to London for the weekend. My wife and kids would join me in August when the kids finish school here and we would get somewhere to rent and (I think) become resident.

Question - from a taxation perspective would I be considered resident in Ireland from the day I start the job (i.e. June), or would it be when we actually had an address here (i.e. August).

Anyone got any advice/comments?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You would **probably** be considered a frontier worker if living in hotel and returning at weekend.

I imagine the car thing only becomes an issue when (a) you bring the car to Ireland full time (b) you are in Ireland fulltime.

Check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Advertisement