Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you want in the Summer?

• 13-03-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

What do you want in the summer for your club(lets try to keep it realistic :D)

Man Utd:

Buffon/Casillas [i know realistic]
    Maybe one of those spanish keepers were consistantly linked with, and let Howard have another chance, he is doing well so far

Preferably two of three of these

Essien[ I know he is highly sought after, but when he was 18 he was approached by United but he turned them down cause he wanted to play first team football for a good team, and United were going to loan him to Antwerp]
    Aimar[I just thikn hes a great player, and I don't want him to team up with Alonso in Liverpool, if he did, Gerrard wouldnt get his place if he stayed :)]
    Gatusso :) I'm sure a bid will be made for him, even if it will be rejected

I also want another spanish/italian winger
    Vincente(I would assume unlikely)
    Joaquin(unlikey)
    Somebody I don't know, maybe SWP or Downing or someone if they would be cheaper, although I doubt it
    This is to replace Giggs, and I figure it'll be someone I Havn't really heard of.

I want sold the following:

Phil Neville
    Bellion
    Richardson
    Kleberson
    Smith[needs to be sold since we have 3 strikers who are muchbetter than him, and Ole the legend is coming back to be the super sub he is, so Smith better not take his place on the bench]

WHich I figure will bring in about 10-15 million, Smith might get a decent price.

I want to see Miller/Rossi/Pique/Eagles given a decent run out.
    I also wouldn't complain hugley if SLyvestre was sold, since I think he has lost his hunger.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Manchester Uniter

Out

Saha, Kleberson, Ricardo, Carrol, Bellion Richardson.

Possibiles Outs
    Sylvestre
    Miller
    Eagles
    Ruud, Sacralige I know but it wouldn't surprise me if United accepted a good offer for him . I don't think Smith will be sold because of his temprement. I think Fergie likes that in a player..

In
    Any proven World Class keeper. Central defender and Central Midfielder. We have enough future potential in the squad we now need proven players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Well for Everton for this summer I want the knowledge that we'll be playing champions league football next season, and a transfer kitty to match....

By no means do i want to see a 'leeds scenario' happen if everton qualify for the CL. Moyes is a realistic manager and spends very wisely. The board have announced in the past few days that there will be a 'generous' transfer kitty available to bolster the squad.

We definitely need another young-ish centre back to partner yobo in the long term. Stubbs and Yobo are a good partnership, but stubbs is getting on in years and doesnt have too many seasons left in him. Nows the time to get in a good talented centre back. At the back apart from that I think we are ok. Perhaps some cover at left back for pistone as I can see Naysmith being offloaded in the summer.

In midfield we need to bolster a bit more and provide some cover. Osman and Cahill are good players, but they are still young enough in terms of experience. I think 1 or 2 more central midfielder types are needed, especially someone in the Gravesen mould to link midfield and attack and do the box to box work like he did.

Some more striking options/cover is definitely needed. Beattie is getting fitter by the game, even though the eejit stuck the head in gallas and is warming his arse in the stands at the moment. Bent is always a good option as well, but i feel that Everton need a striking partnership upfront so they can yield more goals from their style of play.

Most of everton's success this season has been through the hard work and commitment of the midfield and them getting up and scoring goals as well, so it'll definitely be interesting this summer to see if moyes abandons that in favour of 2 up front???

Players coming to goodison this summer:

I dont really know... In moyes we trust

Deadwood that'll be chopped:

Naysmith (Scotland is where he belongs. Good grafter, but not a good long term option)
    Weir (great servant and player for everton, but has lost his pace this season. Past it now i think)
    Ferguson (Sorry dunc, legend and all, but way to expensive. Paycut perhaps if he wants to stay?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pats unbeaten and invinincible for season with youth and free players and not like other teams :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Celtic and Rangers to join the premiership to make it more competitive,i'm sick of the same 2 or 3 teams being in contention every year, i think Sky sports would welcome it more value for money for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Liverpool:

CL football (as winners ;) )

Players Out:

Dudek,
    Kewell,
    Hyypia,
    Henchoz,
    Traore,
    Nunez,
    Diouf,
    Diarra,
    Cheyrou,
    Diao,
    Smicer.

Am in 2 minds re: Gerrard's departure.
    Baros as for gerrard

Players In.

Much depends on Gerrard's situation.
    Presuming he stays,
    Wayne Bridge,
    Ramos,
    Upson?
    Aimar
    Another CB,
    Attacking left sided (Routledge, etc)
    Attacking right sided (SWP, etc)
    Another Striker.
    SWP

if he goes
    as above plus duff, parker and maybe Cudicini

Decision re: stadium
    Investor sorted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Shelbourne to win the Sentanta Cup, to get off to a great start to the E.L league and hopefully win it. Also to at least get to the 3rd round of the Champions League and a dream would to be to get into the champions league group stages:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Man United

We need another worldclass central midfielder to take over Scholes position - Obviously Ronaldinho but he will never leave.

We need a roy keane replacement for the defensive duties in the middle of the park. Gattuso would obviously be my first choice but he will never leave either. I would take Davids for a couple of seasons if he was going.

We also need a new winger urgently...Someone like SWP would not do. We need somebody better in from the continent like Vincente or Solari. Solari is absolutely brilliant. Just signed a new contract though so I hope we discover another Ronaldo...is Adu 18 yet?! ;)

We then would need a new centre back to replace Silvestre. He is too careless. Keep him as a backup...might make him focus a lot harder than he is doing at this moment. A centre back I would like to see could be possibly lucio or yobo.

And last but not least, we need a top top top goalkeeper. Hell I would even take Kahn for a season or two. Basically anyone but Carroll or Howard.

Players out:
    Ruud - if an outrageous offer was made for him. I am talking over 30 million.
    And the rest of the cocks who fail to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Barcelona

Bring in Del Horno from Athletic, Gio and Sylvinho are both too old and make too many mistakes.
    Need a right back too, Belletti may be good going forward but he's a poor defender, happily take Athletic's right full Iraola. He's only 21, but looks like he's gonna become a great player.
    Then bring in Fernando Torres, unlikely but it's possible.

Then I'd like to see the whole squad brought back to fitness and for them to remain fit for the season, no more cruciate ligament injuries please.

Barcelona

Get rid of Silvinho. Keep Gio. Buy Philp Lahm. Can play right/left or central. Brilliant german player.

I think we also need a defensive midfielder. Gerard is not a defensive midfielder.

Striker: Torres or Baptista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Chelsea

in
    Joaquim
    Adriano

Sell:

no one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Do you not think United need another winger?
    Giggs and Ronaldo can't play every game, and we need another winger if he wants to keep chasing that 4-3-3 or even a 4-4-2

p.s.
    I don't think Adriano will move, and if he does I think it will be to Real.
    Chelsea may be backed by a Russian billionaire
    Real Madrid are backed by the Spanish government :)
    I think in a true transfer battle, Real would win.

PHB wrote:
    Do you not think United need another winger?
    Giggs and Ronaldo can't play every game, and we need another winger if he wants to keep chasing that 4-3-3 or even a 4-4-2

p.s.
    I don't think Adriano will move, and if he does I think it will be to Real.
    Chelsea may be backed by a Russian billionaire
    Real Madrid are backed by the Spanish government :)
    I think in a true transfer battle, Real would win.

Jesus Christ, how the **** did I forget that? We DEFINITELY need a new winger...damn let me edit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Chelsea Possible ins:

Gerrard
    Manuel Fernandez
    Adriano
    Maxwell.

Out:

More than likely Geremi, Kezman if an offer comes possibly Parker.

growler wrote:
    Chelsea

in
    Joaquim
    Adriano

Sell:

no one

Dream on buddy...You will be getting rid of bodies this summer.

I think the following players will leave Chelsea this summer at a minimum:

Kezman(p.s. I'd want Utd to buy him, another Ruud waiting ot happen imo)
    Parker
    Cuddicini
    Geremi
    Smertin(If any central midfielder is signed, infact maybe anyway)
    Crespo + Verson +Forsell obviously
    Wayne Bridge(If Cole is signed)
    Gallas(If Cole is signed, I don't think hes happy not in the first team)
    Joe Cole(If Joaquin or a winger is signed)
    Gudjohnson(If Adriano is signed)

I don't think even Mourinho can hold onto this big a squad with the players I think he wants to bring in.

Gerrard
    Adriano
    Joaquin
    Cole
    I'd say he wants
    Giving him the team of
    Cech
    Ferreria-Carvalho-Terry-Cole
    Lampard-Makelele-Gerrard
    Robben/Duff/Joaquin
    Adriano
    **** me batman I don't want to play that team :)

Forgot about Crespo and Veron, those 2 will definitely go, regardless of what the press have said. Cole will not join, he'll either stay or go to somehwere like Real Madrid. JM wants Manuel Fernandez, he's only 19 and said he's better player when Makelele was that age according to JM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I know Peter Kenyon wants Chelsea to run as a business but hopefully Abramovich will suspend the normal financial constraints of money and allow Chelsea to hold on to more players than might otherwise be economically viable.

I honestly don't see a few of those mentioned going, cudicini, if he can be convinced he has a part to play would be a great back up to Cech, I certainly dont want him sold to either Man U or Arse, that would be daft.

I think Forsell will stay on, he has great potential nd there is no need to sell him.

Smetin may go, but the Russian connections may influence that decision.

Crespo and Veron are certainly off.

I would hate to see Ashley Cole in Blue.

In two minds about Kezman, as you say PHB he may be a RVN waiting to happen, or he may be a hardworking crock.

How could anyone sell Gallas?

We've suffered lot in recent years from injuries to key players, if Chelsea are to continue to challenge for all trophies they need a big squad with a quality bench to ensure success is not at the mercy of tackles from the likes of Dickov, Shearer and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    Giving him the team of
    Cech
    Ferreria-Carvalho-Terry-Cole
    Lampard-Makelele-Gerrard
    Robben/Duff/Joaquin
    Adriano
    **** me batman I don't want to play that team :)

which way are you counting this is it 2 from robben / duff / joaquin? or have chelsea got special dispensation to play 12 players? :D

Yes i know what you probably meant ( 2 from 3) but im a perfictionist :D

And of course Growler, not forgetting Molenko (spl?) who has put Robben out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Van Bommel, other than that, no clue. Fortunately Wenger is the Arsenal manager and not me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Liverpool...

Pretty much happy with the targets that Benitez is looking at:

Gallas
    Bridge
    Parker
    Duff
    Sean Wright Philips
    Aimar
    Would prefer Ballack over Hargreaves as I do not rate him at all..

Then sell the rest of Houlliers under achievers and make a fresh start next season.

I'm sure Chelsea would like to keep all the players they have, but I'm not talking about Chelsea wanting to keep them, I'm talking about them wanting to leave.
    I'm sure they'd love to stay if they could be int he team, but players like Cuddicini are absolutely definatly gone next season, I would be absolutly gobsmacked if he was in the chelsea team next year, same with Parker.
    When I put, (if gerrard comes), I meant in relation to the player.
    Joe Cole has got to leave if Duff Robben and Joaquin are in the squad, as he has no chance of being a first teamer.
    Same with Bridge and Cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

there is no way Chelsea would ever ever ever sell Duff. Be realistic lads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Liverpool

I have a feeling Liverpool will sign Gerard (from Barcelona) in the Summer. He is out of contract and is definately leaving Barcelona. If Gerrard goes I also have a feeling that we will see Ballack in a red shirt next season. I think the position behind the striker would suit him perfectly. And Id be very happy seeing a midfield three of Alonso-Gerard-Ballack next season. All crafty with the ball, but all do their fair share of work at the same time.

I think Riise has played himself into Benetizs plans, and while I dont think he is world class he has earned another season to show his worth. He has looked excellent on the left wing in recent months. Id love them to get SWP but I think he will ultimately go to Arsenal if he goes anywhere. But anyway Im sure Garcia will get another season to prove himself so I cant see SWP being signed.

At the back I want Liverpool to sign Wayne Bridge. Again a very realistic target. I dont know why Chelsea are reportedly pursuiting Cole so much, Bridge is an unbelievable player and there is not much between the two IMO. A centre half is also required but I cant think of who I would realistically want them to buy. I dont want them to go for King, good player, but would be incredibly overpriced. I couldnt see Spurs selling either. Upson has been mentioned for a possible £5M, which I would be delighted with, a very good and young player and well worth that money. Hyypia to get another season as backup.

Duffer ain't going anywhere, dunno about Carlo, J Cole will stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shelbourne to win the Sentanta Cup, to get off to a great start to the E.L league and hopefully win it. Also to at least get to the 3rd round of the Champions League and a dream would to be to get into the champions league group stages:)
    Amen.

Villa to get a new class keeper, most likely the young German they are apparently interested in. Some cover for right back. another striker, another left and a right midefielder (allowing Barry to start some games as LB depending on Samuel's form).

Also, play Berson more, I like the cut of his jib! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool

I have a feeling Liverpool will sign Gerard (from Barcelona) in the Summer. He is out of contract and is definately leaving Barcelona. If Gerrard goes I also have a feeling that we will see Ballack in a red shirt next season.

Gerrard will have to go if Gerard is signed..you can see the problems ahead already!

I'm not even going to hazard a hit list, as so much depends on Gerrard and Baros staying/leaving and how far we get in CL and if we finnish 4th or 5th.

Mike.

I don't mean to be blunt, but Liverpool have no chance of signing Ballack, unless Rafa somehow convinced him that Liverpool are goign to challenge for the CL next season.
    He is considered Germany's best player and is currently playign for Bayern munich, who just knocked Arsenal out of the CL and are way way above Liverpool in the PM points tally.
    That said, Rafa is brilliant so you never know, but if Ballack is for sale, I can ese a lot of clubs goign for him, all with much more of a chance than liverpool

I think if Baros goes, its not the end of the world.
    Morientes Cisse is a nice combo :)

cheesedude wrote:
    Barcelona

Get rid of Silvinho. Keep Gio. Buy Philp Lahm. Can play right/left or central. Brilliant german player.

I think we also need a defensive midfielder. Gerard is not a defensive midfielder.

Striker: Torres or Baptista.

We don't need a defensive midfielder, if you count Marquez as one then we have three. What we need is a fit one and with Motta and Edmilson out for most of the season it hasn't helped at all.

I'd love for Saviola to stay when his loan with Monaco is over and for him to get his game. I can't see it happening though, which is unfortunate because I think he's a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic

Out:
    Lambert (out of contract)
    Valgaeren (out of contract)
    Juninho? (MON doesn't seem to want him but I'm just wondering why he wasn't sold in January)
    Douglas (Leicester will probably sign him)
    Hedman (Rejected a loan offer from Anderlecht because he wanted his long term future sorted out)
    Sylla
    5-5.5 mil off the wage bill with the above players gone. I'd like to keep Juninho but doesn't seem in the plans.

In:
    Striker - Bellamy/Keane. Is Nonda at Monaco any good? Could leave on a bosman.
    Keeper
    Left back - Oliver Bernard (only signed a 6 month contract at Soton).
    Holding midfielder
    Winger - Ze Roberto is out of contract in the summer. :)
    Centre half

That should do it. :) I know its a long shot but 4 of Bayern's players are out of contract in the summer (Kuffour, Scholl, Ze Roberto, Kovac). I'd be happy with one of them.

Pats - Left back is main priority. A new permanent striker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I don't mean to be blunt, but Liverpool have no chance of signing Ballack, unless Rafa somehow convinced him that Liverpool are goign to challenge for the CL next season.
    He is considered Germany's best player and is currently playign for Bayern munich, who just knocked Arsenal out of the CL and are way way above Liverpool in the PM points tally.
    That said, Rafa is brilliant so you never know, but if Ballack is for sale, I can ese a lot of clubs goign for him, all with much more of a chance than liverpool
    I find it hard to understand why you think Liverpool have "no chance" of signing Ballack, and yet claim that United should be targeting Buffon, Casilas, or Gattuso.

There has been talk and speculation of Ballack leaving Bayern for over a year. His contract expires at the end of next season and he has not yet signed a new one so there is a large chance he will be sold if he does not do so by the Summer, especially as he said he will not walk out on a bosman.

Why wouldnt he sign for Liverpool? You say he would want to go somewhere that he will challenge for the CL, but last time I checked, Liverpool are still challenging for the CL.

Bayern are a traditional European power, but this year is the first in three that they have reached the quarters of the CL. Ironically the last time they were in the quarters was another teams last time in the quarters. Do I need to tell you who that was? So I dont understand how you think they are "way way" above Liverpool.

One of his main gripes at Bayern is Magaths assertions that he doesnt do enough defensive work, which he subsequently remedied, but he much prefers playing in an advanced role. A role that Liverpool could offer him no problem, and a role that is already filled at the other clubs that are reportedly interested (Chelsea: Lampard; Barca: Ronaldinho, Deco).

Another thing Liverpool have going for them is Dietmar Hamann, Ballacks team mate at international level. Hamann loves it at Liverpool and a familiar face at a club is a huge bonus for any potential signing.

And as you said yourself Benetiz is brilliant, I can see him attracting bigger and better players than Ballack.

Having said all that, this is all on condition that Gerrard leaves, which some people think is a foregone conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Liverpool...

Pretty much happy with the targets that Benitez is looking at:

Gallas
    Bridge
    Parker
    Duff
    Sean Wright Philips
    Aimar
    Would prefer Ballack over Hargreaves as I do not rate him at all..

Then sell the rest of Houlliers under achievers and make a fresh start next season.

Duff? :D Ballack? :D

ffs there's unrealistic and there's taking the bleedin píss.

For Shels

IN

Ronaldinho, Zidane, Shevchenko, Nesta and maybe, if we've any money left over from selling David Crawley to Barca for 89.3m euro, bring in Roberto Carlos. Ballack and Duff, assumeing Liverpool turn them down, wouldn't be too bad either. Give a trial to Ronaldo and tell him if he can sort his weight out he might get a contract, that should just about do it.

Buffon/Casillas [i know realistic]
    Gatusso :) I'm sure a bid will be made for him, even if it will be rejected

I don't think United are going to sign them :)
    Ballack is one of the top midfielders in the world, the clubs he wants to join are the teams at the top of the world, aiming realistiaclly to win the CL next year, not the teams that are planning to challenge in two years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    I don't think United are going to sign them :)
    Ballack is one of the top midfielders in the world, the clubs he wants to join are the teams at the top of the world, aiming realistiaclly to win the CL next year, not the teams that are planning to challenge in two years time

who else would he join then? i cant see chelsea wanting him if they get gerrard. Man united wont be realistically challenging for CL next year, neither will Arsenal.

Dont know if he would be interested in spain, also, only barca would be interest i feel. He could possible go to juventus. Milan wouldnt want him unless guttaso goes crazy and decides a move to united would be a good idea.

So that leaves all the teams who will "realistically" challenge for CL next season. LIverpool is a huge club, might not be performing, but if we sign some of the players we are reportedly after then he would be definitly interested i feel.

Why wouldn't he be interested in Spain ffs? You've named Juventus and Barca there who could sign him, do you think he'd goto Liverpool over them? Real would love to sign him and would be after him, as would any Spanish team who make the CL. Teams like Inter even would be after him if Veron doesn't sign permanently (or even if he does). Man U would kill to have him espically given Scholes age and he'd easily goto them over you.

Anyway, even if none of those clubs do want him, I'd rather be at Bayern than Liverpool given the choice. He'll either sign for a team challenging for the CL or stay at Bayern

• Advertisement

anyway, heres what i want.

Players out:
    hyypia(or else keep him as cover, but after what he said he will go)
    gerrard(cash in, i feel the team would be in a much better position with players from chelsea and cash)
    Dudek/kirkland(no point in having 3 keepers, kirkland has been first choice so i think dudek should leave)
    diao
    diouf
    biscan
    smicer all for obvious reasons
    traore(if we get a left back, which we will)
    baros(hes gone, rafa knows he is trouble and will cash in on him)

Last chance salooners:
    kewell(for some reason i really like this c*nt(non sexual). i would love to see him to do well in a liverpool skirt.)
    risse(hes not good enough for LB, or LM either, but hes done well this season so keep him as back up)
    hamann(purrely for back up, legs arent able for it anymore)
    Garcia(always feel a new siging should be given 2 season to prove themselves)
    Josemi(so as garcia)

Players in:
    all depends on the deal for gerrard. If he goes to chelsea i would like bridge, gallas, parker in return. i definitly feel they are all very realistic. Duff obviously, but i feel that is less unrealistic. All depends on Joacquin and cole.
    RW(dont want SWP, for the price they will put on him i feel he will be too expensive, and he will go to arsenal)
    new CB(wouldnt really have clue. Upson would be a solid buy though, certainly not king, dont rate him)
    I wouldl ike to see andy johnson, i feel he would work well with morientes. excellent poacher. But if cisse is back we wouldnt really need him. I feel if CP get relegated he owuld be cheap enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

For Man United-

Keeper - Either Shay Given or Dean Keily. with Given's price going up again after his saves against Spurs today, Newcastle will want alot for him but Shay might want to leave if they fail to win anything again.

I think United could get Deano on the cheap. maybe £3million. he is a great keeper but came at the wrong time with his international career.

Ballack would be a great signing but since United arent going to win either the Premiership or the Champions League this year, so money will be tight.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Why wouldn't he be interested in Spain ffs? You've named Juventus and Barca there who could sign him, do you think he'd goto Liverpool over them? Real would love to sign him and would be after him, as would any Spanish team who make the CL. Teams like Inter even would be after him if Veron doesn't sign permanently (or even if he does). Man U would kill to have him espically given Scholes age and he'd easily goto them over you.

Anyway, even if none of those clubs do want him, I'd rather be at Bayern than Liverpool given the choice. He'll either sign for a team challenging for the CL or stay at Bayern

i dont know if the type of football in spain would suit him. Barca have Xavi, deco and ronaldhino. I dont think they would hugely interested in ballack. I dont know if Juve would be, if they were he would probaly sign for them. Real & Barca are the only teams that would be challenging for the CL, so if you think he will only join a club who will challenge it doesnt matter if any other club in spain is interested.

Why would he easily go to united over us? United are a team in decline compared to eyars ago. They arent among the top tier of European football anymore, liverpool are a team on the up i feel. So i dont think it would be a forgone conclusion that he would join united over liverpool. Specially if hamann is still at liverpool.

YOU'D rather choose bayern, but your not ballack.

Man U are on the decline but are still a far better team than Liverpool who'll struggle to finish 4th ffs, be realistic, you have as much chance of signing Ballack as you have of getting Duff and all of the other stupidly unrealistic transfer targets some people are putting up here.

If Raneiri hadn't been in charge of Valencia, I think it's fair to say that they'd have been challenging for the CL too. Although I don't think they would need Ballack either.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    Man U are on the decline but are still a far better team than Liverpool who'll struggle to finish 4th ffs, be realistic, you have as much chance of signing Ballack as you have of getting Duff and all of the other stupidly unrealistic transfer targets some people are putting up here.

this season wont matter, its all about the summer transfers.

if rafa gets the following players who are definitly possilbe. Gerard(barca), parker, gallas, bridge, saviola and others he wants then i dont think ballack would turn his nose at a move to liverpool.

kirkland
    Gallas- New CB- Carragher - bridge
    Savoila/ Cisse*-alonso- parker - gerard/Aimar - kewell(possilbe new LM)
    Morientes

*all depends on how rafa wants the formation. Now none of those are unrealistic targets. And if ballack saw that line up i think he would definitly consider a move to liverpool.
    Stick Aimar in there aswell possibly!

Of those players only Gallas is real quality. Gerard is average at best same with Bridge and Saviola whereas Parker is below that, hardly going to turn you into title challengers. You're deluding yourself if you think signings the quality of Scott Parker is going to entice one of the finest attacking mid fielders in the world atm to sign for you.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Of those players only Gallas is real quality. Gerard is average at best same with Bridge and Saviola whereas Parker is below that, hardly going to turn you into title challengers. You're deluding yourself if you think signings the quality of Scott Parker is going to entice one of the finest attacking mid fielders in the world atm to sign for you.

bridge and Saviola average at best?! and parker worse?! haha, Certainly dont agree with you there.

i am sure the signing of Aimar would help aswell.

Bridge is an average left full, Saviola couldn't make it at Barca at a time when they were crying out for strikers, Parker struggles to make the Chelsea bench when fit. They're good signings for Liverpool, but you're talking about these being super amazing high profile signings that will entice one of the worlds finest attacking mid fielders to goto Liverpool, who could well finish 5th this year, over a team gaurenteed a place in the champions league and a possibility to go very far that's located in his own country? Get real, and that's not even taking into account other teams who might come in for him.

Slash/ED, will you grow up.. I just can't be arsed arguing with you, feeling it is pointless.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Bridge is an average left full, Saviola couldn't make it at Barca at a time when they were crying out for strikers, Parker struggles to make the Chelsea bench when fit. They're good signings for Liverpool, but you're talking about these being super amazing high profile signings that will entice one of the worlds finest attacking mid fielders to goto Liverpool, who could well finish 5th this year, over a team gaurenteed a place in the champions league and a possibility to go very far that's located in his own country? Get real, and that's not even taking into account other teams who might come in for him.

Saviola was let go for loan this season when they had Eto and ronaldhino, hardly crying out for strikers. How is bridge average at best?! If hes so in love with bayern why hasnt he signed a new contract? Parker was quality at charlton and never got the chance at chelsea, injury certainly hasnt helped. And he has been in the squad when fit most of the time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=224182&page=4&pp=20
    BANNOR wrote:
    I'm curious as to why you would keep Finnan - Josemi was bought as a squad player and will displace him when fit.

Benitez's team:
    Kirkland
    Replacement1
    Carragher
    Replacement2
    Replacement3
    Replacement4/Garcia
    Replacement5
    Alonso
    Replacement6
    Garcia/Replacement7
    Morientes

Replacements based on what I've heard:

1 - Daniel Alves (Sevilla) there's an offer of €12M on the table for him. Real are now interested so the price has been raise to €15M.

2 - Ledley King/William Gallas. Enquiries were already made for King earlier in the season with a view to a move in the summer no price was agreed but Tottenham have since said they will listen to offers of over £10M for the player. Benitez likes Gallas's versatility and his agent says he's not happy with the situation at Chelsea.

3 - Wayne Bridge. Rafa has become a fan

4 - Unknown - enquiries were made about Shaun Wright-Phillips but City quoted a ridiculous price. After Liverpool withdrew the offer for Anelka they were told they could talk to the player and the clubs would discuss a fee if the player agreed a contract. SWP said he's holding out for a move to Arsenal in the summer/next year. Crystal Palace said yes to an offer of £2.5M for Wayne Routledge in January, the player said he wanted to stay in London and was in talks with Tottenham. Pennant was offered to Liverpool in January for £1M but Rafa said no. My guess is that he'll settle for Garcia if Aimar is signed.

5 - Bayern have been approached about Hargreaves the asking price is €6M. Benitez was hoping to offer Hamann but Bayern aren't interested. Scott Parker of Chelsea has been recommended if Gerrard goes there. Benitez has watched videos of his performances for Charlton prior to his move to Chelsea and is impressed. Gerard of Barcelona is an option on a bosman in the summer.

6 - Real Madrid's Solari was offered a pre-contract in January but he decided to stay at Madrid after getting the offer of a bigger contract. Parry has been instructed to make Damien Duff part of any deal with Chelsea for Gerrard.

7 - Pablo Aimar : his agent has told Liverpool to agree a fee with Valencia and Pablo will be in a Liverpool shirt in a heart beat. The agent reckons Valencia will accept €10-12M for the player.

It may seem like fantasy football but if things go his way in the transfer market Benitez will rebuild the first team in the summer through the sale of Gerrard and Baros.

Kirkland
    Alves
    Carragher
    King/Gallas
    Bridge
    Duff/Garcia
    Parker/Hargreaves
    Alonso
    Duff/Kewell
    Aimar
    Morientes

Could that first team challenge the top three?

BANNOR wrote:
    Chelsea's money is no good to Beniez in the transfer market. If he gets £30-40M for the player in a straight cash deal then the price of every player he looks at afterwards is going to be artificially inflated. Chelsea have players that he wants in exchange all of whom will get first team football at Liverpool which is something that won't be guaranteed at Chelsea. Chelsea don't look for massive transfer fees for talented players seen as surplus to requirements - two Argentinians and a certain Romanian are testimony to that. The question is how badly do they want Gerrard.

Duff is going to be surplus to requirements at Chelsea in the summer when they sign Joaquin - the deal was done last November. Mourinho doesn't rate Duff and sees him only as a stop gap until Joaquin arrives. The only reason he got in the team when Robben was injured at the start of the season was because Drogba kept on at Mourinho to play him. Gallas doesn't see himself as a utility player and isn't happy with being backup to Carvalho and Terry long term.

It's no secret that Mourinho is looking for a replacement for Bridge, Ashley Cole isn't the only left full back to have had a meeting with Chelsea.

Parker is going to be surplus to requirements if Chelsea sign Gerrard.

Benitez has instructed Parry to stall any potential deal with Chelsea until after Chelsea sign a full back and Joaquin. That would suggest he wants Bridge and Duff to be part of the transfer.

I am content with the direction Benitez seems to be going in.. Assuming the above has some substance and I believe it does.

Saviola was let go for loan this season when they had Eto and ronaldhino, hardly crying out for strikers. How is bridge average at best?! If hes so in love with bayern why hasnt he signed a new contract? Parker was quality at charlton and never got the chance at chelsea, injury certainly hasnt helped. And he has been in the squad when fit most of the time.

He was let go this season because in previous seasons when they were crying out for strikers he wasn't upto the challenge.

Bridge is average at best because, eh, he's average at best? A decent left full, but hardly world class, hence Chelsea trying to replace him, and hardly a signing that will convince Ballack to sign ffs.

Parker was awful when he did play at Chelsea, hence why he has found his oppurtunities limited.
    Slash/ED, will you grow up.. I just can't be arsed arguing with you, feeling it is pointless.

Yeah I should stick to grown up realistic topics like Damien Duff decideing to leave Chelsea and sign for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well, being an Arsenal fan, I'm happily reassured by the promised £30 million budget for the summer. Obviously the principle aim will be to pick up another world-class centre back to partner / cover for Sol Campbell. Of course, its not that easy to identify an available player in this position. I think the one possible target would be William Gallas, but I very much doubt Chelsea would sell him unless it was a swap deal + cash for Ashley Cole, and I think relations between the two clubs are too sour over the whole affair for that to happen. According to the Sunday Mail today, Chelsea have withdrawn the one offer they did table for him. As far as a left-back is concerned, I think Clichy is an adequate replacement anyway, so I'm not too worried. Apparently Barcelona are willing to take Cole in the summer - maybe Bannor has a word or two about this? ;)

I think our midfield is strong enough - Pires, Viera, and Ljungberg are all good enough for another couple of seasons. Flamini and Fabregas have shown promise for the future, and we still have Gilberto to come back. I've heard rumours that Sean Wright-Phillips is waiting for a move to Arsenal, but I think his fee would be prohibitive.

Up front, I'd try a cheeky bid for Roy Makaay. He'd probably set you back about £20 million of the £30 million budget, but I think he'd be worth it. On a value-for-money side though, I can't believe Walter Pandiani has ended up at Birmingham City. He's well-capable of playing for a top-class team, and I think he could be the second striker Arsenal are looking for. He's good in the air, good with both feet, and well capable with linking up. At Deportivo he was part of one of the best passing teams in Europe, so I don't think he'd have any trouble fitting in at Arsenal. Surely he wont accept a permanent deal at Brum? :eek:

As for a goalkeeper, I think Lehmann is perfectly adequate. People put him under enormous scrutiny, but we don't lose too many matches with him in the team, and I don't honestly see an available replacement out there that would be any better.

So, next year's first 11:

==========Lehmann===========
    Lauren==Gallas==Campbell==Clichy
    Ljungberg==Vieira==Gilberto==Pires
    =======Pandiani==Henry========

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

mr_angry wrote:
    Well, being an Arsenal fan, I'm happily reassured by the promised £30 million budget for the summer. Obviously the principle aim will be to pick up another world-class centre back to partner / cover for Sol Campbell. Of course, its not that easy to identify an available player in this position. I think the one possible target would be William Gallas, but I very much doubt Chelsea would sell him unless it was a swap deal + cash for Ashley Cole, and I think relations between the two clubs are too sour over the whole affair for that to happen. According to the Sunday Mail today, Chelsea have withdrawn the one offer they did table for him. As far as a left-back is concerned, I think Clichy is an adequate replacement anyway, so I'm not too worried. Apparently Barcelona are willing to take Cole in the summer - maybe Bannor has a word or two about this? ;)

I think our midfield is strong enough - Pires, Viera, and Ljungberg are all good enough for another couple of seasons. Flamini and Fabregas have shown promise for the future, and we still have Gilberto to come back. I've heard rumours that Sean Wright-Phillips is waiting for a move to Arsenal, but I think his fee would be prohibitive.

Up front, I'd try a cheeky bid for Roy Makaay. He'd probably set you back about £20 million of the £30 million budget, but I think he'd be worth it. On a value-for-money side though, I can't believe Walter Pandiani has ended up at Birmingham City. He's well-capable of playing for a top-class team, and I think he could be the second striker Arsenal are looking for. He's good in the air, good with both feet, and well capable with linking up. At Deportivo he was part of one of the best passing teams in Europe, so I don't think he'd have any trouble fitting in at Arsenal. Surely he wont accept a permanent deal at Brum? :eek:

As for a goalkeeper, I think Lehmann is perfectly adequate. People put him under enormous scrutiny, but we don't lose too many matches with him in the team, and I don't honestly see an available replacement out there that would be any better.

So, next year's first 11:

==========Lehmann===========
    Lauren==Gallas==Campbell==Clichy
    Ljungberg==Vieira==Gilberto==Pires
    =======Pandiani==Henry========
    Roy Makaay is too old, you'd never see aw buy that type of player, especially for £20m and Lehmann is too old and was never good enough anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement