Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you want in the Summer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Slash/ED wrote:
    He was let go this season because in previous seasons when they were crying out for strikers he wasn't upto the challenge.

Bridge is average at best because, eh, he's average at best? A decent left full, but hardly world class, hence Chelsea trying to replace him, and hardly a signing that will convince Ballack to sign ffs.

Parker was awful when he did play at Chelsea, hence why he has found his oppurtunities limited.

Yeah I should stick to grown up realistic topics like Damien Duff decideing to leave Chelsea and sign for Liverpool.

the reason he has limited oppurtunites is because he is up against makellie(sp). The only players he would struggle to get a place ahead of are keane and viera. His immense for chelsea. I hardly think thats a bad thing being second string to him.

It not a matter of duff deciding to join chelsea. If joaquin signs for chelsea, and they sign duff, i dont know if duff would have a choice in staying at chelsea. If chelsea dont sign joaquin then they definitly wont let him leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

If Joaquin signs Duff wont leave anyway, Cole will. And if Duff left he'd have a pick of many clubs in a better position than Liverpool, but I'd be absolutley amazed if he left anyway. Didn't Mourinho call him their best player?

As for Parker, he's not up against Makelele, he's up against Tiago/Smertin/That Czech guy. None of them are exactly brilliant.

Slash/ED wrote:
    If Joaquin signs Duff wont leave anyway, Cole will. And if Duff left he'd have a pick of many clubs in a better position than Liverpool, but I'd be absolutley amazed if he left anyway. Didn't Mourinho call him their best player?

As for Parker, he's not up against Makelele, he's up against Tiago/Smertin/That Czech guy. None of them are exactly brilliant.

if he left as part of the gerrard deal he wouldnt have a pick of man clubs. HE wouldnt have a pick of any club, expcept liverpool. ANd no player stays and a club where there not wanted.

He could say no, and Chelsea have the money to just pay more for Gerrard.

Who says Duff isn't wanted at Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Slash/ED wrote:
    Why wouldn't he be interested in Spain ffs? You've named Juventus and Barca there who could sign him, do you think he'd goto Liverpool over them? Real would love to sign him and would be after him, as would any Spanish team who make the CL.
    While Im not saying Spain wouldnt interest him, the last German player I remember going to Spain is Bernd Schuster. Im sure there are reasons behind that.

Liverpool have signed players before over the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus before, I dont see why it is beyond the bounds of possibility that it could happen again. As Ive said before, I dont see a place for him in the Barcelona team, or the Real team (he would have the problem of Zidane there), or Juventus (Nedved, Camaronesi)
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Teams like Inter even would be after him if Veron doesn't sign permanently (or even if he does). Man U would kill to have him espically given Scholes age and he'd easily goto them over you.
    IF Veron doesnt sign, can you see him going back to Chelsea? He would be good for United, but hardly a replacement due to Scholes' age, seeing as he is only a year younger.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Anyway, even if none of those clubs do want him, I'd rather be at Bayern than Liverpool given the choice. He'll either sign for a team challenging for the CL or stay at Bayern
    Why hasnt he signed a contract yet? Hes 29 and been at Bayern for five years and won the Bundesliga a couple of times, I would imagine he is looking for a new challenge, hence his stalling on the new contract.

As Ive said already, Liverpool are still challenging for the CL if you didnt notice. Apparently this Liverpool side is "crap". Surely they will improve over the next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Who says Duff isn't wanted at Chelsea?
    Nobody. But Chelsea really, really want Gerrard so anything is possible.

Kirkland
    Alves
    Carragher
    King/Gallas
    Bridge
    Duff/Garcia
    Parker/Hargreaves
    Alonso
    Duff/Kewell
    Aimar
    Morientes
    If we got 3 of those signings in the summer I'd be happy.

While Im not saying Spain wouldnt interest him, the last German player I remember going to Spain is Bernd Schuster. Im sure there are reasons behind that.

Liverpool have signed players before over the likes of Real Madrid and Juventus before, I dont see why it is beyond the bounds of possibility that it could happen again. As Ive said before, I dont see a place for him in the Barcelona team, or the Real team (he would have the problem of Zidane there), or Juventus (Nedved, Camaronesi)

So all Germans can't make it in Spain now? :confused:

Liverpool have also won proper trophies before it doesn't mean it's going to happen now.

Real are going to be selling and buying alot this summer, a big clear out is on, Ballack is the type of player they'd go for.
    IF Veron doesnt sign, can you see him going back to Chelsea? He would be good for United, but hardly a replacement due to Scholes' age, seeing as he is only a year younger.

No but he could go elsewhere, if Inter want Ballack they'll tell Veron to find another club, simple as that. He could be a replacement for Scholes for the simple reason that he's better than he is and has proven he's capable of producing at the highest level in the champions league, which is exactly what Man U want.
    Why hasnt he signed a contract yet? Hes 29 and been at Bayern for five years and won the Bundesliga a couple of times, I would imagine he is looking for a new challenge, hence his stalling on the new contract.

I haven't a clue why he hasn't signed a new contract, doesn't mean he's going to leave.
    As Ive said already, Liverpool are still challenging for the CL if you didnt notice. Apparently this Liverpool side is "crap". Surely they will improve over the next year?

So are PSV, doesn't mean he'll goto them. Whjen I say challenge for the CL I mean as potential winners, Liverpool will struggle to even qualify for it ffs!

Slash/ED wrote:

When did he say all germans cant make it in spain? :confused:

I think the reason germans dont move to spian is because they prefer the phyical nature of football.

Slash/ED wrote:
    I didnt say that. But the last one I remember "making it" was Bernd Schuster. Its just one of those things. The same way it is rare to see Spanish players go to Italy. There are reasons why the Germans dont go there, probably cultural and social ones more than footballing ones.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Real are going to be selling and buying alot this summer, a big clear out is on, Ballack is the type of player they'd go for.
    Seeing as you obviously know what Real will and wont do this are they are going to replace Zidane? Because thats whose place he will probably be competing for.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    No but he could go elsewhere, if Inter want Ballack they'll tell Veron to find another club, simple as that. He could be a replacement for Scholes for the simple reason that he's better than he is and has proven he's capable of producing at the highest level in the champions league, which is exactly what Man U want.
    Even if Inter went for him I would be confident that Liverpool could compete with them in the transfer market. I mean when is the last time they competed for the CL, or won the Italian league? Its as long as Liverpool.

As regards United, do you really think AF would bring in a player very similar to Scholes but only a year younger. I think you are grossly underestimating AF's respect for one of Uniteds best players.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    I haven't a clue why he hasn't signed a new contract, doesn't mean he's going to leave.
    To be honest, it usually does. Plus there is as much talk on his "future" as Steven Gerrards.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    So are PSV, doesn't mean he'll goto them. Whjen I say challenge for the CL I mean as potential winners, Liverpool will struggle to even qualify for it ffs!
    Let Liverpool get knocked out of this years tournament first before we worry about next year please.

The main reason that I couldnt see him joining PSV is the cash to be honest.

• Advertisement

I didnt say that. But the last one I remember "making it" was Bernd Schuster. Its just one of those things. The same way it is rare to see Spanish players go to Italy. There are reasons why the Germans dont go there, probably cultural and social ones more than footballing ones.

Yes but Ballack is a technically brilliant player, he could make it in Spain no matter where he's from

Seeing as you obviously know what Real will and wont do this are they are going to replace Zidane? Because thats whose place he will probably be competing for.

Real is the last club in the world that would worry about playing two completley attack minded mid fielders, they'd play 0-0-10 if they had enough strikers. He could play with Zidane no problem.
    Even if Inter went for him I would be confident that Liverpool could compete with them in the transfer market. I mean when is the last time they competed for the CL, or won the Italian league? Its as long as Liverpool.

They're still a more attractive side to sign for than Liverpool IMO.
    As regards United, do you really think AF would bring in a player very similar to Scholes but only a year younger. I think you are grossly underestimating AF's respect for one of Uniteds best players.

He bought Veron didn't he?
    To be honest, it usually does. Plus there is as much talk on his "future" as Steven Gerrards.

Doesn't mean he will leave and certinaly doesn't mean he'd pick Liverpool over Bayern.
    Let Liverpool get knocked out of this years tournament first before we worry about next year please.

So we'll just ignore the fact that they could well not even be in the CL next year then? I'm sure Ballack will be thinking the same thing.
    The main reason that I couldnt see him joining PSV is the cash to be honest.

So you're saying that, could they afford him, Ballack would join PSV? Holy christ.

he wouldnt join PSV. THe league isnt as competitve for him i feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Slash/ED wrote:
    He was let go this season because in previous seasons when they were crying out for strikers he wasn't upto the challenge.

He was let go because they couldn't agree on a way to re-structure his wages. Barcelona couldn't afford to have him on the books, with the new players coming and Ronaldinho getting a raise.
    He wasn't getting a game in seasons before that because Van Gal was an idiot who kept playing that waster Kluivert instead of Saviola. When Rijkaard took control Saviola got his place back, reagained his form and confidence and did damn well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Slash/ED wrote:
    Of those players only Gallas is real quality. Gerard is average at best same with Bridge and Saviola whereas Parker is below that, hardly going to turn you into title challengers. You're deluding yourself if you think signings the quality of Scott Parker is going to entice one of the finest attacking mid fielders in the world atm to sign for you.
    Bridge and Parker are players imo. I hardly seen Bridge play before he signed for Chelsea but he has certainly proved himself to me. Saviola was quality last season in 95% of peoples eyes, just because he's gone out on loan doesn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Slash/ED wrote:

Of course he's up against Makelele, he's only played on the right hand side a couple of times cause of injuries, but CM is his natural position, if Manuel Fernandez joins then SP may be looking for another club, but I'd give him a go.

I think the arrival of Amdy Faye for Newcastle has been played a major part in their superb recent form. He has played 9 games for Newcastle and they won 7 and drew 2 of those games. They've also not conceded more than a goal in any of those games. he just shows the importance of a good holding midfielder in the team. Butt missed too many games through injury (he's actually only started one more game than Faye who made his Newcastle debut on the 29th January).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Shef Wed

If we get promoted and thats a big if we can maybe bring in a few new players.....maybe give Sturrock a few quid to spend.....has brought in some great players on free's so far so a few quid on a player would be great......

Maybe try and get Joey O Brien from Bolton although I cant see them letting him go!!! but we can still wish.....apart from that really need cover up front,.....get rid of James Quinn and bring someone new in to help MacLean

If no promotion then stick with same squad and they will be up next season anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Middlesbrough

We need cover in:
    Physio department - to cope with all the injuries :)
    CM - we have looked very weak there with all the injuries, parlour + boateng are good together but maybe someone like Michael Tonge from SU or even SP from Chelsea.
    RM - Geremi turned down the chance to join us in jan, could be on for a summer move though. We really need a pacy winger to stretch teams on the right though, Mendieta is more like the Beckham style of winger (ie very little running/dribbling). James Morrison looked like he could be a player before he got injured.
    LB - Need cover for Quedrue. Zenden isnt a defender and Cooper is a tad auld to be playing LB.
    CB - Again, need cover. Suthgate + Ehiougu are getting on a bit (and cooper!).
    CF (maybe) - With viduka injured, and job/nemeth being crap, we have looked very toothless up front since jan. Saviola would be nice :)

I'd love to see Juninho back in a boro shirt!

I dont really see us buying any big names in the summer, maybe a couple of lower league recruits and some free transfers/loan signings.

Out:
    Need to get rid of Job and Nemeth. Both far too inconsistant. Flashes of brilliance but not really worth paying their wages for.
    Doriva. Rubbish.

Apart from that we are looking pretty solid. The only players i would like to join that would significantly improve the squad are fantasy football talk - ie probably not going to happen unless we can (somehow!) beat Lisbon at home by 2 clear goals, and go on to humiliate Newcastle in the UEFA cup final :D

Boro wrote:
    Middlesbrough

We need cover in:
    Physio department - to cope with all the injuries :)
    CM - we have looked very weak there with all the injuries, parlour + boateng are good together but maybe someone like Michael Tonge from SU or even SP from Chelsea.
    RM - Geremi turned down the chance to join us in jan, could be on for a summer move though. We really need a pacy winger to stretch teams on the right though, Mendieta is more like the Beckham style of winger (ie very little running/dribbling). James Morrison looked like he could be a player before he got injured.
    LB - Need cover for Quedrue. Zenden isnt a defender and Cooper is a tad auld to be playing LB.
    CB - Again, need cover. Suthgate + Ehiougu are getting on a bit (and cooper!).
    CF (maybe) - With viduka injured, and job/nemeth being crap, we have looked very toothless up front since jan. Saviola would be nice :)

I'd love to see Juninho back in a boro shirt!

I dont really see us buying any big names in the summer, maybe a couple of lower league recruits and some free transfers/loan signings.

Out:
    Need to get rid of Job and Nemeth. Both far too inconsistant. Flashes of brilliance but not really worth paying their wages for.
    Doriva. Rubbish.

Apart from that we are looking pretty solid. The only players i would like to join that would significantly improve the squad are fantasy football talk - ie probably not going to happen unless we can (somehow!) beat Lisbon at home by 2 clear goals, and go on to humiliate Newcastle in the UEFA cup final :D

Would be worried about reports saying Utd want Downing to replace Giggs....maybe a part swap deal for him with Giggs going to work with McClarn agaiN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Slash/ED wrote:
    Man U are on the decline

No they are not. They are putting a new team togeather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Come on lads this is supposed to be realistic not fantasy football stuff!

Anyway for Arsenal id have 4 players coming in

IN:
    Wright-philips. Arsenal are def favourites to get him and a 13-15 million pound bid will land him imo

Hilldebarnd: He is out of contract at the mo so Straight swap for Lehamnn(although i have heard rummors that Munich have first offer on him!)

Kuffor: Experienced, classy centre back who would cost arsenal NOTHING. Out of contract as well as far as i know.

things get complicated now but arsenal need a CM to partner Vieira and id love to see Parker at highbury but i cant see chelsea selling him to a rival. Either him or Maniche! 10 million for him :)

So next season id like to see

Hilldebarnd
    Toure-Kuffor-Campell-Cole
    Wright-Vieria-Parker/Maniche-Reyes
    Henry-Van Persie/Bergkamp

Not a bad team eh!

Out are definately
    Pires, Edu and maybe ljundberg

Think what you what you want but at least its realistic unlike the talk of Ballack going to liverpool and Utd buying Buffon/Gattuso :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I dont think Wright Philips is technically good enough to play in Europe.

I dont think Wright Philips is technically good enough to play in Europe.

Id have no concerns about his technical abilities but i would have concern over his small size. Technically is his great imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Parker will go for considerably less than 10mil too.. Would speculate closer to 5 myself.

Regarding Ballack, there was also rumours last season that he was going to sign for Liverpool.. Sometimes amazing things do happen Jank... Would be up there with Reyes playing on the left wing for Arsenal next season as oppossed to Real..

Slash/ED wrote:
    Yes but Ballack is a technically brilliant player, he could make it in Spain no matter where he's from
    So are many German players. Still dont remember seeing any of them play in Spain.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Real is the last club in the world that would worry about playing two completley attack minded mid fielders, they'd play 0-0-10 if they had enough strikers. He could play with Zidane no problem.
    They have enough players to play the 0-0-10 but dont. Ballack turns 29 in the Summer, and has no where near the same profile as any of the "galacticos". To be honest I cant really see Real being interested in him. They are trying to catch bigger and younger fish.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    They're still a more attractive side to sign for than Liverpool IMO.
    Well thats your opinion. Liverpool have won more trophies than Inter in the last decade, and this is going through a bad patch. They also have a more celebrated history than Inter. What do you think would make them a more attractive option?
    Slash/ED wrote:
    He bought Veron didn't he?
    He did, but Veron was bought for Europe, and is more versitile than Ballack. Ballack plays in the exact same position as Scholes. Veron doesnt.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Doesn't mean he will leave and certinaly doesn't mean he'd pick Liverpool over Bayern.
    Im not saying he will "certainly" leave or "certainly" go to Liverpool. But Liverpool have targeted him before, he is currently unsure as to his future at Bayern, so I dont think that it is unrealistic that they will target him again.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    So we'll just ignore the fact that they could well not even be in the CL next year then? I'm sure Ballack will be thinking the same thing.
    No, we'll wait until they actually are not in nexts years CL, and just ignore the fact that they could still win the trophy this year.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    So you're saying that, could they afford him, Ballack would join PSV? Holy christ.
    No Im not. Im saying one of the main reasons, is that they probably couldnt afford him. As Chucky said the standard of the league is probably another one.

And Jank I dont understand why you think it would be unrealistic for Liverpool to get Ballack. Sure they were good enough for the likes of Alonso (who could have gone to Real Madrid if he wanted to) and Morientes, they are players I would class in the same bracket as Ballack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

jank wrote:
    Hilldebarnd: He is out of contract at the mo so Straight swap for Lehamnn(although i have heard rummors that Munich have first offer on him!)

Kuffor: Experienced, classy centre back who would cost arsenal NOTHING. Out of contract as well as far as i know.
    Hildebrand signed a new contract.

Not so sure about Kuffour now really, not sure he'd be any better than Toure. IIRC he's not very tall and has been unable to get into the Bayern team.

Sell Pires AND Ljungberg? Yeah, that'll leave the wide positions well covered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can somebody explain to me Man Utd's finance situation, hopefully Bannor :)

I got the impression that while they technically spent their moeny on Rooney, if Fergie wants to spend 50 mill on players, he can if he think it is needed. Is that right?
    p.s. I just saw Van Der Vaart wants to leave Ajax, theres a possibly target for many teams.
    I never understood why he was never bought after all the fuss about him about 2 years ago

Not so sure about Kuffour now really, not sure he'd be any better than Toure

But much better than Cygan and he is no doubt experienced in European football.
    Sell Pires AND Ljungberg? Yeah, that'll leave the wide positions well covered...

Reyes on the left Wright on the right :)

Bently can play on the right too as far as i know.

As far as i know Utd have little or no money unless they sell players.

Regards Ballack sure anything can happen but what im saying is that its very very unlikey that he would fancy a move to Liverpool who dont forget might not even be in the CL next season!
    Would Liverpool be able to offered him too as he would cost almost 30 million. I heard that he has a buy out clause of around that figure so he aint going to be cheap.
    The germans wouldnt happy to see their best player leave germany for another forgien team.

Yeah, but I assume thats just business talk.
    I would guess that if the board was told, we need this to stay in the premiership, they would be given 50 million to buy players.
    I assume players will be sold, and they will net around 15 mill or so. But thats only one player, so I'm wondering

PHB wrote:
    Yeah, but I assume thats just business talk.
    I would guess that if the board was told, we need this to stay in the premiership, they would be given 50 million to buy players.
    I assume players will be sold, and they will net around 15 mill or so. But thats only one player, so I'm wondering

Well Utd have a squad good enough to get into the CL so there is no danger of them getting relegated.

What players would get sold to accumualte 15 million in your opinion?

Remember the Utd board are conservate and have stated in the past that there is no more transfer money available until january 2006..they could very well tell fergie **** off and say you made your bed and so lie in it!

BUT and there is always a big but if a highly regarded player becomes available for a good price I would imagine they would release funds for him however if I were a Utd supporter i wouldnt be getting my hopes up on a mega multi million pound signings this summer.

Id say max 2 players in for utd this summer and they will be bargin buys if anything. A GK and a midfielder but what kind of quality they would be for the little money they have is anybodys guess!

And all this while M Glazer is planning an aggresive takeover bid again this week..well if the Sunday Times are to be believed. Seems like he is not giving up on this one!!

If he takes over i would really feel for the long terms prospects of the club.

Smith (I feel one of the strikers is goign to go with Ole back) - 8 - 12 mill, probably 8
    Kleberson - 2 mill
    Phil Neville - 3 - 5 mill
    Bellion - 3 or 4 mill

There ya go :)

I hear this every year though, no big transfer funds availible, but at United it seems to me that Fergie always gets the money he needs when he needs it. Rooney being the example.
    With Arsenal spending 30 mill, and Chelsea spending god knows what, the Utd board aren't going to just sit around. They are conservative in the sense they don't go nuts on spending like Chelsea do, but none the less they make money availible for big name/money transfers on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

jank wrote:
    Regards Ballack sure anything can happen but what im saying is that its very very unlikey that he would fancy a move to Liverpool who dont forget might not even be in the CL next season!
    Would Liverpool be able to offered him too as he would cost almost 30 million. I heard that he has a buy out clause of around that figure so he aint going to be cheap.
    The germans wouldnt happy to see their best player leave germany for another forgien team.
    As I said before, let Liverpool get knocked out this season before worrying about playing in it next year.

He wouldnt cost that much, in the Summer he will be 29 and only have a year left on his contract. Probably somewhere between 10M and 15M Id say.

But again having said all this, I can only see Liverpool targeting someone like Ballack if Gerrard were to leave. Mind you Id be delighted if they went for him if Gerrard stayed.

Reyes and Wright-Phillips on either wings, and who as backup if they are injured or in need of a rest...?

If United manage to get 7-9 million for Phil Neville and Bellion I'll eat my hat, they are two of the most limited players I've ever seen playing for Man United.

Phil neville is a brilliant squad player. Always willing to do a hard fought job for the team.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Would be worried about reports saying Utd want Downing to replace Giggs....maybe a part swap deal for him with Giggs going to work with McClarn agaiN!

Im worried about them poaching him alright, though fergie wont give up giggs. The whole point of buying another winger is for competition.

If they do go for Downing (and its a reasonable assumption), we will probably get offered our pick of the plodders - such as P Neville, Miller, Bellion, Kleberson, JoS, etc...
    Dont want to see Downing go and definitely dont want any of the above arriving.

I think Man Utd need to start looking into foreign leagues like La Liga and the Italian league to find new players. I do not think Downing is good enough to play in Europe. I mean you do need to have pace and skill or else a really technical player. Downing, SWP - I do not rate them for Europe. Excellent in the premiership but not for Europe.

Downing has done well in the UEFA cup, dont think (at the moment) that he is any way good enough to hold down the left wing position of a team that challenge for the champions league every year though. He needs a couple more years of development. This is his first season playing in the premiership remember.

On the other hand, i think SWP could. He has pace, trickery, good skill and good delivery/shooting.

cheesedude wrote:
    I think Man Utd need to start looking into foreign leagues like La Liga and the Italian league to find new players. I do not think Downing is good enough to play in Europe. I mean you do need to have pace and skill or else a really technical player. Downing, SWP - I do not rate them for Europe. Excellent in the premiership but not for Europe.

Disagree with you here....I see both players well able for Europe....also who better than to bring them up and train correctly than Utd....cant see them getting both of them....maybe Downing......SWP wont move over to Utd becasue of the hatred!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Big Nelly wrote:
    Disagree with you here....I see both players well able for Europe....also who better than to bring them up and train correctly than Utd....cant see them getting both of them....maybe Downing......SWP wont move over to Utd becasue of the hatred!!!
    Hatred won't stop SWP moving, afterall, look at Smith moving in from Leeds. Money will be the key issue tbh.

What is the story with Liam Miller? Is he any good? I have never seen enough of him. He looks tiny.

• Advertisement

Having thought about it some more, I'd be happy with this: (pure fantasy but I got fed up trying to come up with realistic hopes :))

In:
    Given
    Chivu
    Kuffour
    Van Bommel
    Emre
    Wright-Phillips
    Makaay

Out:
    Cygan
    Edu (not because I want him to go, I'm simply resigned to him leaving)
    Almunia
    Lauren

The players in would probably cost about £45m, the players out would bring in about £5m. Never going to happen, but it's a nice thought!

Hey, with Vieira and Reyes goign you'd easily have 45 mill :)

Although I'd imagine they would cost more
    Given - 10
    Chivu - Not sure
    Kuffour - Not sure
    Van Bommel - Not sure
    Emre - at least 10 mil
    Wright-Phillips - 15-20 since hes english
    Makaay - 15 at least since hes like really ****ign good adn the second top scorer in the CL this year

I'd say you're looking at like 70 million for that :)
    Hey maybe Chelsea will do it.
    Interesting to see Mourinho's first chance to see how good he is in the transfer market

I just saw that Emre is definally leaving Inter this summer, would be an interesting signing.
    Theres now quite a few quality central midfielder's who should be on the move this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wasn't Ballack lined up to move to Liverpool for €10million last summer before Gerrard's change of heart?

PHB wrote:
    Hey, with Vieira and Reyes goign you'd easily have 45 mill :)

Although I'd imagine they would cost more
    Given - 10
    Chivu - Not sure
    Kuffour - Not sure
    Van Bommel - Not sure
    Emre - at least 10 mil
    Wright-Phillips - 15-20 since hes english
    Makaay - 15 at least since hes like really ****ign good adn the second top scorer in the CL this year

I'd say you're looking at like 70 million for that :)
    Hey maybe Chelsea will do it.
    Interesting to see Mourinho's first chance to see how good he is in the transfer market

I just saw that Emre is definally leaving Inter this summer, would be an interesting signing.
    Theres now quite a few quality central midfielder's who should be on the move this year.
    Given would go for less than 10, If one of the top 3 teams started showing interest in him I'd imagine he'd pressure the management for a move (he didn't seem particularily happy at Newcastle last year).

Van Bommel and Kuffour are going on free transfers, Emre is surplus and it seems to be widely accepted that Inter will let him go for 4/5mill. Wright-Phillips would cost max 20, probably a lot less if he pressures for a move (I believe he will, especially now that Keegan is gone). Roma are in the shít financially apparently so Chivu would probably be affordable, if not, Dortmund arent too healthy either and Metzelder isn't a bad player!

As for Makaay... dunno, he's 30 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Liverpool...
    Would prefer Ballack over Hargreaves as I do not rate him at all..
    It's funny that you should mention Ballack. :D

Prior to Gerrard's change of heart last summer there was a €15M fee agreed with Bayern for the player. In the last few weeks Bayern have come back offering the player again for the same price.

Another possibility is Rafael Van der Vaart. Ajax have enquired of Liverpool if they are still interested in signing the player, the fee would be around €12M.

Aimar is now looking to wait it out at Valencia and see what happens in the wake of Ranieri's sacking.

The club are also in talks with Figo's agent about a potential free transfer.

Out:
    Goalkeepers
    Jerzy Dudek
    Patrice Luzi
    Defenders
    Mauricio Pellegrino
    Gregory Vignal
    Midfielders
    Igor Biscan
    Bruno Cheyrou
    Salif Diao
    Steven Gerrard
    Dietmar Hamann
    Richie Partridge
    Forwards
    Milan Baros
    El-Hadj Diouf
    Neil Mellor

In:
    Goalkeepers
    Jose Reyna (Villareal)
    Yves Ma Kalambay (Chelsea)
    Defenders
    Wayne Bridge
    Ledley King/William Gallas/Cesar Martin (Deportivo)
    Midfielders
    Daniel Alves (Sevilla)
    Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich)
    Damien Duff
    Emre (Inter)/Scott Parker
    Luis Figo (Real Madrid)
    Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)
    Rafael Van der Vaart (Ajax)/Pablo Aimar (Valencia)
    Forwards
    Andy Johnson

Bannor wrote:
    Out:
    Goalkeepers
    Jerzy Dudek
    Patrice Luzi
    Defenders
    Mauricio Pellegrino
    Gregory Vignal
    Midfielders
    Igor Biscan
    Bruno Cheyrou
    Salif Diao
    Steven Gerrard
    Dietmar Hamann
    Richie Partridge
    Forwards
    Milan Baros
    El-Hadj Diouf
    Neil Mellor

In:
    Goalkeepers
    Jose Reyna (Villareal)
    Yves Ma Kalambay (Chelsea)
    Defenders
    Wayne Bridge
    Ledley King/William Gallas/Cesar Martin (Deportivo)
    Midfielders
    Daniel Alves (Sevilla)
    Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich)
    Damien Duff
    Emre (Inter)/Scott Parker
    Luis Figo (Real Madrid)
    Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)
    Rafael Van der Vaart (Ajax)/Pablo Aimar (Valencia)
    Forwards
    Andy Johnson

Are these the players that you want in/out or have you gathered this information through your usual godly powers? :)

If so, Liverpool will start to look like Chelsea by being overloaded with midfielders and have relatively small cover in other areas. Dont know how Rafa would keep all those midfielders happy, even in a 5 man midfield.

Exciting times ahead for Liverpool though, assuming they can get good prices for Gerrard and Baros to fund their 'rafalution'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bannor wrote:
    Another possibility is Rafael Van der Vaart. Ajax have enquired of Liverpool if they are still interested in signing the player, the fee would be around €12M.

Is he not having a woeful season ? On current form he is worth 3 to 4 million max. He is moving in the summer as he say he wants a new challenged but I think they have missed the boat for a big money transfer.

van der Vaart was the dog's B before the Euro Champs, more so than Robben. He seems to have only gone downhill since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Bannor wrote:
    Forwards
    Andy Johnson

Liverpool must be expecting to get a lot of home penalties next season?

SteM wrote:
    Liverpool must be expecting to get a lot of home penalties next season?
    Stem - Johnson won seven of the penalties he took for Palace this season. He said he would have scored most of the times if he wasn't brought down. I've yet to see him dive anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

eirebhoy wrote:
    Stem - Johnson won seven of the penalties he took for Palace this season. He said he would have scored most of the times if he wasn't brought down. I've yet to see him dive anyway.

Maybe he would have scored before he was brought down, maybe he wouldn't. I never said (or hinted) he dives so I'm not sure why you mentioned that.

I've not seen loads of him but he just doesn't looke like a 'Liverpool player' to me to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement