Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you want in the Summer?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Neither does Figo, don't think he'd fit in at Liverpool (or anywhere in England for that matter) at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

SteM wrote:
    Maybe he would have scored before he was brought down, maybe he wouldn't. I never said (or hinted) he dives so I'm not sure why you mentioned that.
    OK, this is what you said:
    "Liverpool must be expecting to get a lot of home penalties next season?"

Its quite obvious that you feel Johnson is getting undue credit because a lot of his goals were penalties. Johnson won 7 of those penalties and whether he was in a Palace shirt or a Liverpool shirt he would have got those penalties. He seems to know how to get penalties without diving and scoring a peno is still scoring a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Bannor wrote:
    It's funny that you should mention Ballack. :D

Prior to Gerrard's change of heart last summer there was a €15M fee agreed with Bayern for the player. In the last few weeks Bayern have come back offering the player again for the same price.

Another possibility is Rafael Van der Vaart. Ajax have enquired of Liverpool if they are still interested in signing the player, the fee would be around €12M.

Aimar is now looking to wait it out at Valencia and see what happens in the wake of Ranieri's sacking.

The club are also in talks with Figo's agent about a potential free transfer.

Out:
    Goalkeepers
    Jerzy Dudek
    Patrice Luzi
    Defenders
    Mauricio Pellegrino
    Gregory Vignal
    Midfielders
    Igor Biscan
    Bruno Cheyrou
    Salif Diao
    Steven Gerrard
    Dietmar Hamann
    Richie Partridge
    Forwards
    Milan Baros
    El-Hadj Diouf
    Neil Mellor

In:
    Goalkeepers
    Jose Reyna (Villareal)
    Yves Ma Kalambay (Chelsea)
    Defenders
    Wayne Bridge
    Ledley King/William Gallas/Cesar Martin (Deportivo)
    Midfielders
    Daniel Alves (Sevilla)
    Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich)
    Damien Duff
    Emre (Inter)/Scott Parker
    Luis Figo (Real Madrid)
    Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)
    Rafael Van der Vaart (Ajax)/Pablo Aimar (Valencia)
    Forwards
    Andy Johnson

I'd be so pleased if just a couple of these transfers happened. I don't rate Hargreaves at all, I think Ledley King is overrated and I had to google the keepers.

I, like most fans have accepted Gerrard's imminent departure and tbh I couldn't care if he stays or leaves at this point. It'll be sad to see Hamann go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

eirebhoy wrote:
    OK, this is what you said:
    "Liverpool must be expecting to get a lot of home penalties next season?"

Its quite obvious that you feel Johnson is getting undue credit because a lot of his goals were penalties. Johnson won 7 of those penalties and whether he was in a Palace shirt or a Liverpool shirt he would have got those penalties. He seems to know how to get penalties without diving and scoring a peno is still scoring a goal.

Certainly not. If that's how you read it then that's how you read it but it's not what I meant and I don't think what I said even hinted at that. I certainly don't think hes a good enough striker for LFC however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

well he's bald and look what mccallister did

SteM wrote:
    Certainly not. If that's how you read it then that's how you read it but it's not what I meant and I don't think what I said even hinted at that. I certainly don't think hes a good enough striker for LFC however.
    Thats what I don't understand, you don't think his penalties have gotten him undeserved credit yet he's not good enough for Liverpool. He scored an amazing 32 goals in division one last season and has carried on that superb ratio with 18 goals in the top flight this season so far. Baros has 19 league goals in his 3 seasons at Liverpool.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Thats what I don't understand, you don't think his penalties have gotten him undeserved credit yet he's not good enough for Liverpool. He scored an amazing 32 goals in division one last season and has carried on that superb ratio with 18 goals in the top flight this season so far. Baros has 19 league goals in his 3 seasons at Liverpool.

eirebhoy, I'm allowed have an opinion aren't I? I stated in a previous post

'I've not seen loads of him but he just doesn't looke like a 'Liverpool player' to me to be honest.'

and that's my opinion.

Time will tell if he arrives at the club and if he does how well he will do. There is a step up in class playing in the 1st division and for Palace to going to one of the biggest clubs in the country, playing European football etc. For the record, I don't really rate Baros that much either.

You really are confusing me with your opinion. Why doesn't he seem a Liverpool player? Too ugly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Too much of a workman-like mucker maybe. No class. Most of us secretly resent him because he is scoring all those goals for palace and secretly long to put him down.

He reminds me of Glen Crowe tbh. Can get an international callup but can't get a move to England because of his look.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    You really are confusing me with your opinion. Why doesn't he seem a Liverpool player? Too ugly?

Too ugly? Nope, can't say I'd notice that sort of thing about footballers. I just don't think he has the class to play for Liverpool. Only time will tell though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=263134&CPID=8&CLID=1&lid=&title=Essien's+United+admiration&channel=Premiership
    Michael Essien has admitted to Sky Sports News that he would love to play for Manchester United.

The Lyon powerhouse has been attracting admiring glances from most of Europe's top clubs and helped the French champions storm into the quarter finals of the UEFA Champions League when thrashing Werder Bremen over two legs.

Essien, who had a trial with United as a youngster, is being forwarded as a possible long-term replacement for Red Devils skipper Roy Keane.

"I know that [the press reports regarding interest from Premiership clubs], " he told Sky Sports News.

"But, for me, I don't think about that because I have left everything for my manager [agent].

"So I don't think about it and just concentrate on my football.

"I like Manchester. I know most of their players and like them, and would like to play one day in the Premier League.

"I'll be happy to play for Manchester but, at the moment, I'm in Lyon and I have to concentrate on that.

"I like Old Trafford because it's one of the nicest stadiums in Europe and, foremost, I like the coach [Sir Alex Ferguson] very well."

Cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Tord Grip thinks he's the most professional young English player around and has been singing his praises for years. He has recommended the player to all of the top managers in England, Benitez is the only one that seems to have listened.

While at Birmingham Johnson missed a penalty in the League Cup Final against Liverpool a few years ago and afterwards he decided to improve that aspect of his game so he trained for an extra hour or two after every training session to perfect his technique. The extra training seems to have paid off.

As far as I know everything was agreed between Liverpool and Johnson back in January and the fee will be sorted with Palace in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

I, like most fans have accepted Gerrard's imminent departure and tbh I couldn't care if he stays or leaves at this point. It'll be sad to see Hamann go.
    Hamann was offered a two year extension to his contract in January but himself and his agent were stalling on it looking for a better deal. A few weeks ago Benitez withdrew the offer and told them it would be back on the table in the summer if they didn't get a better offer elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bannor any other news who Utd will sign?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

eirebhoy wrote:
    He reminds me of Glen Crowe tbh. Can get an international callup but can't get a move to England because of his look.

Crowe wasn't good enough for england, the sooner EL fans realise that the ELP is on par with League 2 in england the better, Crowe was a flop in Div. 1, Div.2 and didn't even try div. 3, realised he wasnt good enough and ran home wiht his tail between his legs.

He didnt deserve the cap, i'd have given lee trundle a cap before crowe, trundle is after all a MUCH better player.

eirebhoy wrote:

He's jusy this years kevin philips, james beattie or dion dublin... He's not a great striker he's just having a good season or two, if people are talking about him in 2 seasons time I'll be very suprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i heard fergie is going to fly out to america in the summer to persuade Adu to join united

any truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i heard fergie is going to fly out to america in the summer to persuade Adu to join united

any truth

i hope not for united sake, i think he needs to find a more suitable replacement!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Seaneh wrote:
    Crowe wasn't good enough for england, the sooner EL fans realise that the ELP is on par with League 2 in england the better, Crowe was a flop in Div. 1, Div.2 and didn't even try div. 3, realised he wasnt good enough and ran home wiht his tail between his legs.

He didnt deserve the cap, i'd have given lee trundle a cap before crowe, trundle is after all a MUCH better player.

Crowe was a flop in his first season in the EPL too. He got himself together after that and got his form back and has been fantastic ever since, players can improve over time you know.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Crowe was a flop in his first season in the EPL too. He got himself together after that and got his form back and has been fantastic ever since, players can improve over time you know.

Jody Morris was a flop in the EPL and now he is great with Millwall.

David Connely was a flop in the EPL and now he is great with leciester.

It doesnt mean they have gotten any better it mean they are match fit and playing at a lower level.

Crowe will never be and has never been good enough to play outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Seaneh wrote:
    Jody Morris was a flop in the EPL and now he is great with Millwall.

David Connely was a flop in the EPL and now he is great with leciester.

It doesnt mean they have gotten any better it mean they are match fit and playing at a lower level.

Crowe will never be and has never been good enough to play outside Ireland.

an argument I've always found laughabley flawed.

Matt Holland flopped at West Ham and is now a premiership captain. Proof West Ham is better than Charlton I suppose. Stubbs failed at Everton and is now at Everton, yes by your logic Everton are inferior to Everton. Diego Forlan flopped in England and is now second highest scorer in Spain, yet Owen was one of the top strikers in England and can't get his game in Spain. There are millions of examples like that, it's a stupid argument.

Crowe flopping in his first season in the EL wasn't remotely related to match fitness, he wasn't good enough at the time. During that summer he said he really worked himself hard on his general fitness and got himself into much better shape, end result was he was a better player. For someone not good enough for anywhere but Ireland he has a prolific strike rate in Europe and has scored against some quality sides.

Incidentally, David Connolly has never played in the english premier league to the best of my knowledge anyway. But, he was once a star in division one, now he's playing absolute rubbish. I suppose that proves division one is weaker than division one, well it does in your eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

In:
    Goalkeepers
    Jose Reyna (Villareal)
    Yves Ma Kalambay (Chelsea)
    Defenders
    Wayne Bridge
    Ledley King/William Gallas/Cesar Martin (Deportivo)
    Midfielders
    Daniel Alves (Sevilla)
    Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich)
    Damien Duff
    Emre (Inter)/Scott Parker
    Luis Figo (Real Madrid)
    Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)
    Rafael Van der Vaart (Ajax)/Pablo Aimar (Valencia)
    Forwards
    Andy Johnson

wakey wakey !! Ballack, Duff, Figo ??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well he wouldn't exactly be a replacement since he is 16, more a player for the future :)

Advertisement