Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frisbee is a sport. Now i have seen everything.

• 13-03-2005 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

How exactly can you classify frisbee's as a sport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Quball15

In fairness its got a better claim to be a sport than synchronised swimming or curling...i mean they just take the biscuit. Its a sport cos its a team game with rules drawn up and theres tournaments and whatnot...thats prolly the worst explanation ever but oh well :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I dont agree with u about synchronised swimming. That would take alot of work etc. As for curling lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I dont agree with u about synchronised swimming. That would take alot of work etc. As for curling lol.
    You realise they're talking about Ultimate Frisbee - just because they use a frisbee instead of a ball doesn't mean that it's not a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

so is dodgeball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lord Panic

http://www.whatisultimate.com/index.asp

Dont knock it till ya'v tried it, trust me! I laughed my ass off when i heard about it, (and still do sometimes) but its fantastic! Extremely athletic, skilled and keeps ya fit as hell too!

And if ya're interested in more from an irish point of view...

http://d132213.u41.host.ie/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

It's more of a sport than snooker, table tennis, golf or archery tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

heres the definition (www.dictionary.com) of ....

sport
    (noun)

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    2. A particular form of this activity.
    2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
    3. An active pastime; recreation.

nuff said.....all of the above are sports, if youre still in doubt try taking any one of them up and see how you do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I've played frisbee I can tell you it is a really enjoyable SPORT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

It's a sport cos it requires skill and athletisisum (i cant spell sorry)

throwing perfect frisbbe is like kick the perfect free kick it takes practice and no matter how much u practise u still wont get it right 100% of the time

everyone thinks they can throw frisbbe..till they try (-;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

OFDM wrote:
    It's more of a sport than snooker, table tennis, golf or archery tbh...

you are spot on there - I can never get my head around golf being a sport ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Shedite

I reckon to be calssified as a sport, you must sweat and require skill.

ie. Chess, Darts, Snooker = not a sport (not physical)
    Weightlifting = not a sport (not mental)

sheddite ou say sport reequires sweat and skill....and then you go on to say you dont think weightlifting is a sport cos its "not mental".
    i dont do weightlifting but have you ever actually watched the Olympic weightlifting competition??? theres sweat, theres skill and theres a hell of a lot of mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

holy crap, I just seen that website........ theres like actual teams!?! I thought it was just a bunch of stoners throwin a frisbee... :eek:

now I've seen it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lord Panic

Well, quite a lot of it is a bunch of stoners throwing a frisbee! Its so great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

wow this thread is still going. two more posts and it will be the longest post in Frisbee history. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scotsmurf

Just to nudge the thread towards its record.................
    Why is it that some people will have a go at any sport that a minority?
    Has anybody ever tried to lift a curling stone?How hard can it be to kick a ball?or throw a Frisbee?
    None of these things are in themselves difficult to do.Its the constant practice and honing of the skill and then the application of that skill in direct competition that makes a sport, whether that skill is sprinting, hurling, chucking a dart or throwing a curling stone.
    And why is there no skiing/boarding topic?
    And why.............................

Glad to get that off my chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ajmurphy62

WEll..i read one of the links above and it actually sounds like fun. Love to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

yeh check out the videos they are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

There was an irish frisbee team last year, which was all set to go to the frisbee world cup ( I **** you not!) but they didn't have enough funding to go to the games so couldn't. They were all qualified and everything. Although I do think the entire process consisted of one match... lol but yea, my point being its pretty popular mainly in colleges!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

There was a guy who used to throw around frisbees last summer when we were summer training. Apparently he was on the Irish frisbee team or something. Its the best fun ever

Just for the record ireland was represented by a mens and a womens team at the last world championships held in finland last summer. the mens team finished 14th out of 18 beating teams from russia, china, brazil and lithuania along the way. ireland had never won an international game before this (they also competed at the european championships in 2003)

All the results and some pictures can be found on the official website and pictures of the irish team can be seen here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Why not merge curling and frisbee? Trying to fling those stones about would mean ULTIMATE ultimate frisbee. And a lot of blunt trauma wounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

Markham wrote:
    Why not merge curling and frisbee? Trying to fling those stones about would mean ULTIMATE ultimate frisbee. And a lot of blunt trauma wounds.

Might not be a bad thing. I'm in Trinity and the place is full of these frisbee wasters faffing about in the afternoon when they should really be studying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

To faff is not to fail.

Advertisement