Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design Resolution... (again...)

Options
  • 25-10-2000 2:20pm
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

Ok people...

I am about to redesign a site (garden related) and my question is this...

Is there going to be a significant number of people accessing the web through their tv sets...and therefore should the site be designed in 640....bearing in mind the target audience isnt 17 year olds... tongue.gif
    Will it then look crap in a high resolution...even if it's all centred in a table or something...?

Go easy if this doesn't make sense as this is merely a hobby for me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If you are concerned about people accessing the site through Unison or any other TV set top box, then don't design for a specific resolution at all. Design your site in such a way that the information will fit and flow in any resolution... This is possible... it's just not very easy to do if you've a specific look & feel already planned out. Failing that, if you're still concerned about people viewing it through a TV you're just going to have to design for the TV's dimensions... I don't remember them exactly but its a width of something like 544 pixels.

If you're not too worried about your potential TV audience and want to aim at just the PC/Mac/whatever viewing market, you're save enough with 760 pixel wide pages for an 800x600 resolution.

bard.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Quinlan

Howarya,
    If your designing for TV then 720 by 540 is your man, but I think that your putting the cart before the horse. What makes you think that your visitors are going to be using a TV screen.
    I have a number of sites on the go, I can view the statistics and I see what browsers they use, on average 95% of them are Internet Explorer.
    Though if you liked another way to solve your issue is to size your page using %. However this may skew images if now used carefully.
    Just wondered how you are building your site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Don't think too many people buy those sets any more, PC's are so much cheaper these days and do a lot more than those annoying sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

In my view the it would be safe to completely disregard the tv users. I certainly wouldn't constrain my design for the benefit of 0.00002% of the potential users. If one of the three users of set top boxes out there decides to view your site and finds it's completely unusable, then he deserves it for having bought one of those things.

/me waits for statistics to be produced showing that there are actually 12 users of set top boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

design for both tv and web if you think people will be using the tv, set up a redirect dependant on browser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement