Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Total Respray?

Options
  • 13-03-2005 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Approximately how much would a total respray cost for a small hatchback? I'm talking about the whole thing; sanding down, removing rust patches, priming, baking, respray itself. Not including the labour cost in stripping the vehicle down to the shell. Any other info would be appreciated.
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What colour do you have in mind?

The costs of a near/bare metal respray are huge. The labour costs for stripping out the interior and external trim will be more than any sane person would bother with unless you do it yourself.

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgoc/emg/mgoc1.htm

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Give these lads a ring, used them before for a few bits, im sure they could give you a price.

Adelaide Motors
    68 Georges ave, Blackrock
    (01) 2881578

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Con9903 wrote:
    Approximately how much would a total respray cost for a small hatchback? I'm talking about the whole thing; sanding down, removing rust patches, priming, baking, respray itself. Not including the labour cost in stripping the vehicle down to the shell. Any other info would be appreciated.
    cheers
    It really depends on how good you want it, whether it needs to be stripped or just masked and whether there are areas inside the car which need doing. Usually if you are spraying it the same colour it is not as expensive. The amount of rust and the ease with which this can be removed is a huge factor - does the car need new panels or just filling? I would expect a basic re-paint of the outside of a solid colour (non-metallic) Fiesta to be €800 - €1000. Laquer-over-base metallics cost €300/litre for the paint, hardener and thinners alone for a medium sized car, factor €60 for a litre of two pack primer and four days work for rubbing, masking, painting and finishing at €50/hour and you start to get a picture of how it adds up. A door skin replacement for a Yaris/Micra will cost ~€300 so any panel replacement will really make it add up.

I bought all my own stuff and respray cars in a mates booth, but after spraying maybe a dozen cars, I still get average results - think long and hard before going this road. A good professional sprayer spends years training and makes more money than a TD.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

woah thats pricey. I could strip it down myself, and remove the rust myself aswell. It would probably need a bit of filling, then prime and respray in Black. thanks for the info

Advertisement