Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question of the suitability of the mod of BB

Options
  • 13-03-2005 4:09pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per this post I wish to call into question the continuation of Moriarity in the role of moderator in the Broadband forum.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I was hoping the link would be to an example of why you think he shouldn't remain as mod rather than just a rant of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

can you provide legitmate examples of mod abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

I think Moriarity job is hard and he does a sound job in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

mad m wrote:
    I think Moriarity job is hard and he does a sound job in my opinion.

How is it hard? I dont agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Burn the witch !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

BB along with other 'nerdy' boards is unfortunately inhabited by a disproportionate number of individuals with little in the way of interpersonal and communication skills.

Without firm moderation it would descend into chaos. Nobody worth listening to would ever visit.

I support Moriarty, and empathise with his sig! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I can't say I'm that fond of him as a person, but he's a great mod.

Fobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've seen worse mods... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Burn the witch !

Much prefer ducking stools myself..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

He makes the hard calls, he does the unpleasant and laborious tasks as merc has mentioned, putting emphasis on content and usability of information.

No better man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

moderator delets posts attacking another user, in this case the other user happens to be the moderator, wheres the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭K1

CuLT wrote:
    He makes the hard calls, he does the unpleasant and laborious tasks as merc has mentioned, putting emphasis on content and usability of information.

No better man for the job.
    How does he make hard call???? He either likes something or not!! If its not then we get the "you will be banned RANT" this is childish & immature & certinly not what is expected of a moderator.... My 7 year old child gave up that, I dont like you & if I cant play I,m bring my toys home, attitude 2 years ago!! Who incidently Dub 45 Moriarty has now taken to deleting comments HE doesn't like (see smart telecom thread) Is this acceptable behaviour??? IB is supposed to be apublic forum not a one sided, agree with Moriarty or ****off, party political broadcast from someone who wants to live in a NANNY STATE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I'm with Moriarty. The deleted posts were pure ****e

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

K1 wrote:
    IB is supposed to be apublic forum not a one sided, agree with Moriarty or ****off, party political broadcast from someone who wants to live in a NANNY STATE!!!!

You forgot to say "set my people free".

K1 wrote:
    agree with Moriarty or ****off

Now that would be a great slogan for boards :)

"Boards.ie - agree with Moriarty or **** off!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I like it.

K1 wrote:
    How does he make hard call???? He either likes something or not!! If its not then we get the "you will be banned RANT" this is childish & immature & certinly not what is expected of a moderator.... My 7 year old child gave up that, I dont like you & if I cant play I,m bring my toys home, attitude 2 years ago!! Who incidently Dub 45 Moriarty has now taken to deleting comments HE doesn't like (see smart telecom thread) Is this acceptable behaviour??? IB is supposed to be apublic forum not a one sided, agree with Moriarty or ****off, party political broadcast from someone who wants to live in a NANNY STATE!!!!
    When did your 7 year old child moderate Broadband?

I'd give a better response, only it appears you just mashed the keyboard rather than type.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I think moriarty does a damn fine job considering the amount of cranks he has to deal with on that board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Moriarty he's our man, if he can't do it no one can. Moriarty for leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Hmmm, is anyone else picturing Boston in a cheerleader's outfit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Why dont you set up a pol? (keep him / out with the trash)??

I'd vote for the latter.

Hes far too involved sticking his nose in everywhere and his presence is annoying.

Most / All other forums dont have the big brother feeling to them.

Hope this doesnt effect you lifting my ban on wed!!!! :P

Why dont you set up a pol? (keep him / out with the trash)??

I'd vote for the latter.

Hes far too involved sticking his nose in everywhere and his presence is annoying.

Hope this doesnt effect you lifting my ban on wed!!!! :P
    He moderates a forum that suffers from various representatives of different telecom companies attempting to influence people to favour their company; he's tough on people because of experience.

For instance, he's done a great job of keeping the Smart thread high on facts and low on flowery marketing. If people had a bit more cop they wouldn't get a smack around the side of the head.

When I browse the forum I see a thread on something I'm interested in, I read it and it stays on topic, stays relevant. Half the time this is because Moriarty is keeping tabs on things and making sure ranting/advertisement doesn't occur.

I can't say I envy his position, but then, I don't think anyone else has the ability to do it.

The broadband board is for discussing broadband...the different isp's...the different packages...problems...solutions. It's not a chatting board. If you want to chat there are boards for that. When people come here they might be looking for the answer to a problem, or a discussion on which is the best ISP. If Moriarty didn't clean up those threads the person looking would have to read through lots of junk to get to the good bits, by which time he'd probably just post his own thread.
    damien.m wrote:
    Hmmm, is anyone else picturing Boston in a cheerleader's outfit ?

Yes, and Moriarty sitting on a throne with "broadband" written across it, the throne having just been raised another few inches into the air from all the compliments he's getting on this thread :)

I think most people are agreed that he's a very good mod. Some moderator's skills may be questioned from time to time....but not his.

[quote=

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

K1 wrote:

would you walk into a public house and start a fight, no and if you did you would be barred, and anyone who was with you would probably be barred too.

boards.ie is like the internet equivelent of a public house, everyone is welcome as long as they behave themselvesw.

so while (in the same way as a public house) the doors are open to the public, it is (like a public house) still private property. and the landlord has the right to refuse admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

well i still think a pol would shed some light on the subject. In fact why dont ye do one for each forum?

Scared you might loose out on your lil "power trips"?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kaywan

would you walk into a public house and start a fight, no and if you did you would be barred, and anyone who was with you would probably be barred too.

boards.ie is like the internet equivelent of a public house, everyone is welcome as long as they behave themselvesw.

so while (in the same way as a public house) the doors are open to the public, it is (like a public house) still private property. and the landlord has the right to refuse admission.
    Yes thats a good point , but you dont get barred from the pub if the barman doesnt agree with you! Some of the best nights out involve good healty heated discussions, often including the barman or even the owener

• Advertisement

We could, but what would be the point?

Moderators are picked by the admins, only the admins can de-mod them.

Even if every single general user, moderator, category moderator and subscriber voted to have a mod de-modded it wouldn't make the slightest bit off difference. Only the top 5 can change things around here.

The only 2 events which would result in Moriarty not moderating the broadband forum are A) He quit, or B) The moderators decide to de-mod him.

You don't matter, I don't matter, heck, even Jesus doesn't matter in this situation :)

Advertisement