Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more swearing !!

• 13-03-2005 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

from today's observer:
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,6903,1436442,00.html

"From next season, players who harass, intimidate or verbally abuse a match official when challenging a decision will be sent off"

This will be fun, looking forward to watching North East derbies ending with 6 players, Roy Keane to play 90 mins in a season, and referees having to study foreign languages to work out what the foreigners are on about. And outside the premiership , wonderr what this will be like to enforce in the lower leagues?

Personally I don't think it's a bad idea, but as with any new initiative by the FA there will probably be lots of sendings off in the first few weeks and then a gradual softening of attitude. It would also seem very open to interpretation or challenges.

I prefer the idea mooted in the article about a sin binning for such offences and having an "exclusion zone around the referees".... imagine Arsenal trying to cope with that one :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont like it, we're talking bout adults here not children. Generally language accepted in normal everyday use should be ok, and that includes swearing.

growler wrote:
    having an "exclusion zone around the referees".... imagine Arsenal trying to cope with that one :-)

ehhehehe, the ref could wear a bit hoola hoop that players arnt allowed into. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It is disgraceful for players professional or not to swear at officals.No form of abusive language should be tolerated on a football pitch towards officals and especially not fans.If a player misses a sitter like freddie for arsenal yesterday, it could be tolerated for him to curse himself.Ah feck sake freddie how did you miss that would be along the lines of what he said to himself and i am sure a few of his team-mates cursed him as well.Straight red cards should be issued to players who abuse officals all the time.I am sure eventually it would sink in to the players.(hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

When kids see their favourite players constantly swearing at the match officials, its makes the young ones think they can do it too..

Rooney is the perfect example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

When kids see their favourite players constantly swearing at the match officials, its makes the young ones think they can do it too..

Rooney is the perfect example.

In full agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah, but Rooney got booked for it?
    I don't see the change in rule at all

The phrase itself says it all, there should be no challengign of decisions full stop. That simple, its why so many players crowd around the ref, cause they think they can convince him.
    If they want to make a proper rule it should either ban it altogether, or else allow the captains to speak to the ref, and thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

d22ontour wrote:
    It is disgraceful for players professional or not to swear at officals.No form of abusive language should be tolerated on a football pitch towards officals and especially not fans.If a player misses a sitter like freddie for arsenal yesterday, it could be tolerated for him to curse himself.Ah feck sake freddie how did you miss that would be along the lines of what he said to himself and i am sure a few of his team-mates cursed him as well.Straight red cards should be issued to players who abuse officals all the time.I am sure eventually it would sink in to the players.(hopefully)

agree
    im sick of seeing idiots surround and shout at the ref
    and in some cases start pushing him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All in favour of this, also players who lay a finger on the ref in whatever fashion should be booked.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

its a good thing i dont really see how anyone could be against it as theres no reason why match officials should be getting abuse. logically its stupid for players to do it because the decision isnt going to be miraculously reversed yet you always see players crowding around the ref when a penalty is given
    I dont like it, we're talking bout adults here not children. Generally language accepted in normal everyday use should be ok, and that includes swearing.

but the rule doesnt outlaw swearing it outlaws abusive language towards the ref. im sure players are still be swearing if they miss chances, if there fouled badly etc just none of it should be directed at the ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Take it we won't see Wayne playing too much football next season then, given all them suspensions the little scumbag will get

• Advertisement

As long as it doesnt go to the stage of players getting booked for stupid things. i mean if the ref makes a bad decision and a player comments ie "for f***s sake ref, that was a poxy decision" and gets booked. Fair enough running up and screaming abuse is one thing but taking cursing out of the game is ridiculous. God bless the poor little refs who never hear swearing outside of the game and need protecting.

This is a working class sport played by average joes ( the pros being the talented cream of averages joes) who swear, not by royalty swanning round on their ponies expressing an interest in flower arranging. Fifa seem to be doing their best to outlaw tackling as it is. Half the post war first devision up till the last couple of years would have spent the majority of their time suspended, teams would have needed squads of 80 or 90 players just to finish a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Stekelly wrote:
    As long as it doesnt go to the stage of players getting booked for stupid things. i mean if the ref makes a bad decision and a player comments ie "for f***s sake ref, that was a poxy decision" and gets booked. Fair enough running up and screaming abuse is one thing but taking cursing out of the game is ridiculous. God bless the poor little refs who never hear swearing outside of the game and need protecting.

This is a working class sport played by average joes ( the pros being the talented cream of averages joes) who swear, not by royalty swanning round on their ponies expressing an interest in flower arranging. Fifa seem to be doing their best to outlaw tackling as it is. Half the post war first devision up till the last couple of years would have spent the majority of their time suspended, teams would have needed squads of 80 or 90 players just to finish a season.

it has nothing to do with swearing, but verbally abusing officals.

Thats why I said " as long as it doesnt get to the stage when......".

Incidentaly, the thread is called "no more swearing"

Stekelly wrote:
    Thats why I said " as long as it doesnt get to the stage when......".

Incidentaly, the thread is called "no more swearing"

yes, but more importantly the qoute doesnt say "mo more swearing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

verbally abusing the officals is part of the game. when they took the terraces away it took the best part of the atmosphere away. The officals should just get paid more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Stekelly wrote:

That's fair enough but it's a matter of respect. I have the common sense and respect to refrain from swearing at my boss when I'm asked to do something I'm not particulary happy with.

Stekelly wrote:
    This is a working class sport played by average joes ( the pros being the talented cream of averages joes) who swear, not by royalty swanning round on their ponies expressing an interest in flower arranging. Fifa seem to be doing their best to outlaw tackling as it is

Again, that's just an excuse. I come from a working class background and I can control myself.

I don't think anyboby has a problem with player's swearing per se, it's more a case of when you see the likes of Rooney walking away from the ref after receiving a yellow card saying "Fúck off you wánker!!" in clear view of everybody.

The only way to sort this type of thing out and to also sort out players surrounding the ref is to start issuing yellow cards, it won't be long before these "average joes" eventually learn the lesson just like the way the learned not to kick the ball away in fustration at a decision that didn't go their way.

B.

Do you honestly think that if 5 players who are already booked surround the ref hes going to send the lot of them off?

Stekelly wrote:
    Do you honestly think that if 5 players who are already booked surround the ref hes going to send the lot of them off?

Remind me again where I said that he would send them off.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well that is the rule Bazmo...I can not see this happening.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Remind me again where I said that he would send them off.

B.

If their already booked he has no choice but to book them again. It'll be less effective than the supposed yellow card for diving. Thats only being implemented in the odd game. If a player goes down and the ref doesnt give a free-kick/penalty then he sees it as a dive and is supposed to book the player. This happens 3/4 times a game yet only results in a yellow card once every few games.

• Advertisement

if 5 players harass him, he will send one of them off and send out a message. If the others do it, they will be gone aswell. I dont know if i have ever seen 5 players verbally abuse a ref at one time though.

How can you justify picking 1 player out of a group of 5 for punishment, itsa either a rule or not.

same way you can justify every other decision. Its the ref who gets the choice.

if 5 players harass him, he will send one of them off and send out a message.

Exactly. If he's being harassed he'll just tell whoever is in his face that if he doesn't go away he'll be booked and sent off. And if anybody complains about that they'll be sent off too. It's not rocket science, they'll all learn soon enough.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

If a player swears so what. I don't think anyone in the world can honestly put their hands up and say they haven't cursed. So to say it's a good rule and the FA enforcing such a rule is hypocritical. At the end of the Day it's a word. by the way what qualifys as a Swear Word these. I for one never judge anyone by there use of language and I don't think anyone in Ireland can either. This is just yet another example of the FA/UEFA highlighting some relatively insignificant issue and ignoring some of the more important ones.

And another thing this Idea of Players, Actors, Celebritys being role models is rubbish. If a person is going to grow up to be a thug it's generally got a lot more to do than what he/she sees on Television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

it's not just about role models, and although I agree there are more influences on a child than football players on TV I have no doubt that any aspiring football player will emulate his / her idols, thats great in learning skills but not so great if they pick up other crap.

Anyway, a Ref's job is to manage the game and enforce rules, if you routinely swore at your boss, in public, over any decision he / she (note PC-ness) made then you'd be sacked pretty quickly, not much different in my books to a ref controlling professionals in a game. They manage to be civil in Rugby so why not on the football pitch?

AthAnRi wrote:
    And another thing this Idea of Players, Actors, Celebritys being role models is rubbish. If a person is going to grow up to be a thug it's generally got a lot more to do than what he/she sees on Television.

You just contradicted yourself there. Are football matches not shown on TV?

growler wrote:
    They manage to be civil in Rugby so why not on the football pitch?

Exactly.
    Although I always thought the reason why Rugby players never complained because the rules were too complicated!!! :D

Plus if you've got your head up some 18 stone guy's arse and the ref tell's you that you're offside it's pretty difficult to complain!!

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    You just contradicted yourself there. Are football matches not shown on TV?

Exactly.
    Although I always thought the reason why Rugby players never complained because the rules were too complicated!!! :D

Plus if you've got your head up some 18 stone guy's arse and the ref tell's you that you're offside it's pretty difficult to complain!!

B.

Decisions tend to be a lot more clear cut in rugby. An inncorrect offside decision in football when your clean through on goal is very annoing. Also diving isnt an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Stekelly wrote:
    Decisions tend to be a lot more clear cut in rugby.

unless you're English.

More importantly thoughis that the press / managers / fans tend not to jump on a referees every questionable decision , and they have the benefit of tv replays for the most controversial decisions.

"Plus if you've got your head up some 18 stone guy's arse and the ref tell's you that you're offside it's pretty difficult to complain"

that 18stone guy is likely to be far more intimidating to any referee than a waif like Portuguese winger in a strop over a perceived injustice (for example)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

growler wrote:
    This will be fun, looking forward to watching North East derbies ending with 6 players, Roy Keane to play 90 mins in a season

Granted that'll happen for about a week and then the players will cop on that if they want to stay on the pitch that they'll have to shut their mouths.

Remember when players f's and blind at a ref it's not (as it may seem) an attempt to get him to change his decision ... instead it's an attempt to influence his subsequent decisions thru intimidation. This course of action should not be tolerated.
    Stekelly wrote:

People who act like children should be treated like children. I'm not a fan of sea-changes in football but this is a rule change I can definetly get behind.

When the powers that be start trying to make the game into some faggoty non-contact sport like basketball then we can start worrying but excessive swearing is something the game can do without.

Pigman II wrote:
    When the powers that be start trying to make the game into some faggoty non-contact sport like basketball then we can start worrying .

You mean european football? :D

AthAnRi wrote:
    If a player swears so what. I don't think anyone in the world can honestly put their hands up and say they haven't cursed. So to say it's a good rule and the FA enforcing such a rule is hypocritical. At the end of the Day it's a word. by the way what qualifys as a Swear Word these. I for one never judge anyone by there use of language and I don't think anyone in Ireland can either. This is just yet another example of the FA/UEFA highlighting some relatively insignificant issue and ignoring some of the more important ones.

read the article next time before making a comment :rolleyes:

In rugby, players get penalised 10 yards straight away for dissent.

Advertisement