Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

These sick 'Beatdown' threads!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Can you please point out how my argument was ill-thought out?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

basquille wrote:
    I'm really pi**ed off at seeing these 'beatdown' threads containing truly sick videos of people being beaten to a bloody pulp

Did you get any feedback from the mods on the forum they were posted on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Since i am a "spanner" it wont come to me eventually, so when you have time in the next few days you can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Surely to find the middle ground it should be decided amongst the members of boards what that middle ground is? Also the finding of the middle ground is hard, as the thread start said, some videos of a violent nature are fine, others arent.

So where should the middle ground be?
    Not really, and this is the crux of it; it's not a democracy. Now I know you've probably heard that mantra repeated down the years, but it is true.
    The administration don't ignore users, it's not in their interest to ignore the people who use the forums, but they have their own ideas of what they want boards to be, and most people aren't necessarily privy to that.

I'd hazard a guess that they don't want this sort of content because they're aiming to include as many people from society as possible, and not cater for the desensitized minority of the population of Ireland.

Specifically, they test the water, have a general feel of all of boards.ie, and work according to that.
    That's not to say that it's beyond possibility, after all that's what Feedback is for, new ideas as well as just reporting on how the system is running.
    But this seems to be one of those things that could have a major impact on boards, quite possibly a negative one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ecksor wrote:
    Did you get any feedback from the mods on the forum they were posted on?
    Well... seamas edited the link to the video out of the first post.

Didn't expect this much of a response to it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

basquille wrote:
    No.. as seamas said, the second one is more comical than anything.

Take a look at the first video and then the second video.. there's a big difference between them.

You changed your tune. Now you think the second is ok to show?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

basquille wrote:
    Well... seamas edited the link to the video out of the first post.
    I didn't actually. I think the OP removed the link quite gracefully after a few complaints on the thread. I didn't receive a single report about either thread (I just searched my mail to be sure). The amount of reports I get usually indicates people's level of offence. Coupled with comments on the thread of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Can we not just have a forum for sick, twisted etc crapola?
    That'd be sooo much easier.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

quank wrote:
    Can we not just have a forum for sick, twisted etc crapola?
    That'd be sooo much easier.

:D

why not just visit rotton and soemting aweeful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

There's bad taste, and there's offensive. A line has to be drawn somewhere, hence the no dead baby jokes on the humour forum.

Do we really want people who enjoy these clips to be posters on boards anyway? If you think something like that is cool you're probably a spanner.

Maybe there should be a poll to see how most people feel about this?

RuggieBear wrote:
    why not just visit rotton and soemting aweeful

I wasn't being wholly serious. And plus, if that's your answer, why not just visit a totally different forum, bar boards.ie? There's plenty more out there.

Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    Do we really want people who enjoy these clips to be posters on boards anyway? If you think something like that is cool you're probably a spanner.
    It'd be great if we could filter new users based on our own elitist standards, but we don't because that would be boring and dumb. Not to mention the conflicts over what is "good" and what is "bad".

A poll would be useless. No, really, it would be pointless for anything other than looking at a poll.

Well then why can't dead baby jokes be posted? It's considered bad, and people get banned because of that.
    I didn't mean to imply that there should be restrictions on who can join boards, more just on what we can post.

polls are fun

Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    Well then why can't dead baby jokes be posted? It's considered bad, and people get banned because of that.
    I didn't mean to imply that there should be restrictions on who can join boards, more just on what we can post.
    Dead baby jokes are one of those things that cross the line. Anyone who is offended by them, is completely disgusted by them. It's tasteless. There is a limit on the tastefulness of other threads just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yeah, there might be an element of interest/shock factor in the beatdown threads. Dead baby jokes may be offensive and all, but i couldnt see somebody being offended by the beatdowns. And they were pretty well labelled too.

(also, would anyone care to explain what this pear tree thing is?)

Fair enough, I see ye're point. I hate realistic violence, if you know what I mean. I got beaten up by a guy when I was 15 and spent two weeks in hospital. On a personal level it makes me feel physically ill watching someone being punched.

Yeah its ok, i sneaked in the back way!
    PearTreeHouse!!

Ill find out the truth someday though! Then its the knights of comeonbanus (wtf?), that little fez thing (WTF?) and then the world!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

quank wrote:
    I wasn't being wholly serious. And plus, if that's your answer, why not just visit a totally different forum, bar boards.ie? There's plenty more out there.

apologies quank....sometimes i do miss the obvious :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

ColHol wrote:
    Then its the knights of comeonbanus (wtf?
    Sorry petal, it ain't gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ColHol wrote:
    PearTreeHouse!!

Ill find out the truth someday though! Then its the knights of comeonbanus (wtf?), that little fez thing (WTF?) and then the world!!

loser.

poohead.

loser.
    You too honey bunny, mwah

ColHol wrote:
    PearTreeHouse!!
    That's not it.

no shít

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

dammit. I only read the first page of replies and now I wanna see the first video. fs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

if You Dont Like Dont Look

Its Like People Ringing Up Rte Complaining About A Program They Watched Last Night That Had Sex In It. Dont F'ing Watch It

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    There's bad taste, and there's offensive. A line has to be drawn somewhere, hence the no dead baby jokes on the humour forum.

It all boil's down to,who exactly think's something is offesive.For me dead baby joke's are not (but then I've never lost a baby).To the Admin's this is a tricky subject.

I don't find joke's,movie's,tv or the Internet to be offensive!

If I find something that I do not like I hit the back/stop button!

Secondly I don't enjoy these post's but I do appreciate being able to see them.

X

Advertisement