Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I use sealant when I change valve cover?

Options
  • 13-03-2005 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

My top cover is leaking, I suspect its slightly warped (damned lightweight magnisium!) so I've got another and a fresh gasket. The question is, should I fit the cover dry or with some sealant? Anyone got some practical experience?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

mike65 wrote:
    My top cover is leaking, I suspect its slightly warped (damned lightweight magnisium!) so I've got another and a fresh gasket. The question is, should I fit the cover dry or with some sealant? Anyone got some practical experience?

Mike.
    if u got a new cover and gasket,it should do the job on its own,clean contact area off any old gasket ;) there isnt any great pressure there anyway,u mean rocker cover i hope :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep rocker cover...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

there is no harm if you do. It will last longer, just don't use this blue instant gasket paste as it sucks big time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ratchet wrote:
    there is no harm if you do. It will last longer, just don't use this blue instant gasket paste as it sucks big time
    Hermetite Blue is for when you know you never have to take it off again... But its great for leaky Alfa water pumps!!

If you suspect the cover is warped and it isn't flexible or the bolts won't pull a sufficient seal, then a thin smear of a product called Indian Head on the gasket will ensure it never leaks. Top engine builders use it sparingly - it is shellac based and available from hardware shops (Tripart on the Tuam Road in Galway stock it). CamaroBill is right, but I use it when there is any doubt.

'c

Thanks for the info 'c. I'll be passing union chandlery in Cork tomorrow, they're bound to have some.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

only use the shellac to fix the gasket to the cover. if you use it on both sides it makes it almost impossible to remove in one piece. if the gasket is a cork one you should retighten it after about 500 miles as cork shrinks with heat. only hand tighten the cover eg. small spanner or screwdriver as overtightening is the cause of the warping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I seen only one possible problem with a light film of sealant. If the car uses an O2 sensor, you need to insure you use "sensor safe" sealant.
    Silicone in a generic blue/red sealant will "kill" the sensor pretty fast, via fumes making their way into the intake via the PCV circuit.
    Loctite 515 or 518 should be ok.

greglo23 wrote:
    only use the shellac to fix the gasket to the cover. if you use it on both sides it makes it almost impossible to remove in one piece. if the gasket is a cork one you should retighten it after about 500 miles as cork shrinks with heat. only hand tighten the cover eg. small spanner or screwdriver as overtightening is the cause of the warping.

The gasket is rubber, its quite substaintial. In the event I did'nt use anything,
    I did the job after work and drove 10 miles home, checked and no oil to be seen. I'll only feel the jobs been done properly if nothing is showing after about a week though! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

You shouldn't really use sealant on an engine IMO unless you're a bit of a cowboy or unless the service manual explicitly says you should use any. "But I don't have a service manual" I hear you say. Well, then don't use any.

If the rocker cover is leaking and you've bought a brand new gasket already then you haven't tightened the bolts down in the right sequence probably or maybe you're not using the correct torque?

Advertisement