Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBay payment methods

Options
  • 13-03-2005 10:05pm

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some payment methods for use with eBay? I mainly buy off eBay UK and get a bank draft.....I was wondering if there was a less hassle method than going to the bank, posting etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Paypal (assuming the seller accepts it)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

also www.bidpay.com

I've used that to pay to the US but it also sends money orders to the UK in sterling. Idea is that the seller gets an email from them telling him that the money order will be posted & he doesn't have to wait to recieve it so sends you your stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I use bank drafts for the UK and US. Not that much hassle seeing as I work in a bank. :D

Electronic bank transfers for eurozone

Paypal sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭bidireland

have a look at www.moneybookers.com

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Paypal (assuming the seller accepts it)

I would not recommend Paypal to my worst enemy, obviously you have never visited here,

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

kadman :)

• Advertisement

kadman wrote:
    I would not recommend Paypal to my worst enemy, obviously you have never visited here,

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

Of course I have and I have visited here as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

I just signed up to paypal, now I'm getting worried!

Of course I have and I have visited here as well

Your point being?

kadman

kadman wrote:
    Your point being?

In answer to this :confused:
    obviously you have never visited here [paypalwarning]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I've used PayPal for years on eBay and have never had a problem.
    I won't buy from or sell to anyone who does not use it.

• Advertisement

Hi Dub,

Would you recommend paypal then , after the info on the warning sites.
    Have you ever had any negative outcomes by using paypal.
    Do you believe the authenticity of the complaints against paypal.

Sorry for digressing Vanzan, but I would be interested in Dub's recommendation for or against paypal. I from a personal point of view, along with thousands would not use it again. But it is up to each individual to decide, I'd give it the thumbs down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

What bad experience did you have kadman?

I have used Paypal loads of times and never had a proiblem. The one item I accepted a large payment (over £100), I immediately removed the money from my Paypal account. There are some horror stories about Paypal and their inability to resolve problems where they believe a 'buyers' statement and refund the buyer straight away. They then take this money out of the sellers account with absolutely no recourse.

I still use Paypal but I am very wary of using them to accept large payments. With a bit of common sense on that side of things, there should not be too many problems.

Paypal are owned by ebay and they do business in the same impersonal way. For a seller who has a problem buyrt, Paypal take first and give statements later. I just do not give them the opportunity to take.

newgrange wrote:
    I won't buy from or sell to anyone who does not use it.

That is a bit of a narrow view. Most people do prefer to pay with Paypal and I give everyone loads of options on payment methods. The best payment method for me is bank transfer or bank lodgement by the buyer. No fees involved and no need for me to visit the bank.

Hi Dub,

By refering to a couple of your points, correct me if I am wrong, but you yourself say,

"There are some horror stories about Paypal and their inability to resolve problems where they believe a 'buyers' statement and refund the buyer straight away"

"I still use Paypal but I am very wary of using them to accept large payments. "

"I just do not give them the opportunity to take"

If you feel that they are awkward at resolving disputes, and you are wary of them, and you dont give them the opportunity to take. How can you reccommend them to someone. :confused:

Hi Newgrange,

My experience of paypal was in relation to denied access of my account, by using AIB safe online transaction programme, recommended by my bank, and as Paypal were not setup to operate with this, paypal decide to deny me access. After many many e-mails to their rep, over a 2 month period, I ended any further contact with them. Definitely will never use them again.

Advertisement