Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Conversion Cost

Options
  • 13-03-2005 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Basicly, looking for some1 to do the work of converting a 1.6 corsa to 2.0 if i supply all the required mechanical parts.

anyone recommend a mechanic or garage and how much you reckon for the labour?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

location?
    Are you planning on swapping the 1.6 with a 2L lump or boring out the 1.6? Will there be any braking, suspension or other work required apart from the usual electrical?

I know this doesn't answer your question but why not just get yourself a 2L car? It saves the hassle from having to notify the motor tax office and also the huge hike in insurance for modifying your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

kbannon wrote:
    location?
    Are you planning on swapping the 1.6 with a 2L lump or boring out the 1.6? Will there be any braking, suspension or other work required apart from the usual electrical?

I know this doesn't answer your question but why not just get yourself a 2L car? It saves the hassle from having to notify the motor tax office and also the huge hike in insurance for modifying your car!

Right, location is Carlow. I want to put a 2l redtop into my 1.6 corsa gsi. The brakes and suspension would be done in advance of the 2l going in (means the car is not unsafe to drive when the engine goes in) So its taking the 1.6 (and all involved, gear box, loom etc) and replacing them with same from probably 2l astra gsi or calibra. (some grinding of bits involved from what I understand)

There are a number of reason I cant get a 2l. First the gsi is as rare as hens teeth (but the engine is not running very well, too expensive to get rebuilt atm and cant get a replacement engine in the republic). Secondly, for some reason Quinn "in all their brillance" Direct will insure (for what atm seems a reasonable price, until next years quote) a 2l corsa gsi but not a 2l astra gsi or calibra.

so for now i way up the costs of the conversion while looking for a replacement car if i cant do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

given up on the saxo then ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fair enough. It shouldn't cost the earth to shoehorn the 2L lump in. The cost will be from buying a decent block, ECU and all other parts. Can't help you on mechanics or suppliers though.

Just remember that this is not going to be a 2L corsa gsi but in fact a 1.6L corsa gsi modified to 2L. In the eyes of the insurance company they are quite different!

nope, all honesty converion is the dream, i realy dont want to let go of the corsa at all.

but if that goes tits up then its prob saxo all the way.

but as rare as a decent saxo vts is, how many people can say they have a 2l opel corsa gsi :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:

Just remember that this is not going to be a 2L corsa gsi but in fact a 1.6L corsa gsi modified to 2L. In the eyes of the insurance company they are quite different!

soz thats what i ment (biggest they came in was 1.6)

to be honest, quinn "in all their brillance" direct will insure me till the end of my policy (4 months when i asked them) for no extra cost. but the €5000 question is what they will charge then. only thing i think of is, 4 months is a long time with no to increase premium, but as with insurance in Ireland that can mean very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

Wanton wrote:
    soz thats what i ment (biggest they came in was 1.6)

to be honest, quinn "in all their brillance" direct will insure me till the end of my policy (4 months when i asked them) for no extra cost. but the €5000 question is what they will charge then. only thing i think of is, 4 months is a long time with no to increase premium, but as with insurance in Ireland that can mean very little.
    fair point, ;) a real sleeper with a 2l lump,tou better do ur home work on,brackets,brakes,coils,etc etc,half done job would make it a pig on the road,few extra euro spent now,works out cheaper in the long run ;)

been talking to a few guys of corsasport.co.uk, one or 2 locals, and a fella im limerick who has it done (and now wants to rip it out for a c20let - that been a turbo)

biggest problem i will have is prob the brakes. i realy want to keep the standard wheels, but getting brakes rated to take the 2l and fit under these wont be easy or cheap (least dont expect it to be)

wheel10ez.jpg

ttt

only found one guy in cork, cant start for at least a month, and its bit far away :mad:

ttt

anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement