Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kev's technical support and nerd jargon squabble thread

• 12-03-2005 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

yet being the operative word.

when do elections for usi, open close etc? have i missed all the hoolabullah?

Will iss be accepting new people onto the network next term?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

USI nominations closed - you could try and look at their awful and java-infected site, or I could just tell you (Tony McDonnell from NUI Galway for Pres, Ruth and Patrick for Dep, myself for Education, and Tom Lowth (also TCD) for Welfare). The vote is at the end of March in Ennis. The nice people at the SU Councils in DIT and UCD have already had to listen to me, and decided that they would support me. But I still have to vanquish RON and rise to the top!

ISS promised a 'mop-up' clinic for leftovers in terms of connection to network, but i'll check on Monday morning if that's OK. Most parts of College don't bother working on Saturday. The losers.

[driiiiiiiiiiiiiifting away from karaoke]

actually they've put a note on the website now. you need to apply during the first week back (week starting April 4th), and then the clinics will be run the following week :-)

[/driiiiiiiiiiiiiifting away from karaoke]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

ok thanks dude. last time i checked they were mentioning Feb 4th was last day. So obviously i'd missed that by a bit. i'm quite surprised by the amound of people that don't know you can't get on the college network with Windows XP Home Edition. I think somebody could probably advertise that a bit better. I also read somewhere that not all types of wireless card are supported and that the intel ones, that come with a lot of dells, they only support up to a certain edition. etc. etc. --> hoping i won't be screwed by not checking before clicking.

Oh I know you know that :-)

But in my mind, a day is not complete without a Monty Python quote.

So now I am happy.

was watching the meaning of life yesterday. rubbish. rubbish. rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

pretty much most any wireless card will work on the network, believe me. if it supports an 802.11b network and WEP encryption(its a long time since a network card hasnt supported WEP) you'll be grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

crash_000 wrote:
    pretty much most any wireless card will work on the network, believe me. if it supports an 802.11b network and WEP encryption(its a long time since a network card hasnt supported WEP) you'll be grand :)
    you do bess don't u ?

....what?!

it just seems like a bess style off the cuff remark, support for peap and leap varies, although it can and is implemented in windows so not requiring drivers success rates do differ quite greatly with different cards, there is also the fact of linux support.

And as for kev, technically u can use XP home on the network, but ISS won't let u as it doesn't support AD

Well if you want linux support you could just give NDISwrapper a shot, its reasonably effective. though you've got a much more varied success rate there just depending on the type of cards. I'm not gonna say that every ****ing card works, but the card guidelines on ISS seem to be just that - guidelines that is just phrased as "these cards are acceptable".

• Advertisement

uhh ur missing the point, the main issues people face on the ISS network are getting peap or leap to work. Those guidelines infer supported cards, and as such those should be preferenced as if u've a problem with other cards iss can easily tell u to bugger off

Well of course, but if you're talking about linux support as well no matter what card you're using if you're having problems they'll tell you to bugger off :)

windows also peap/leap crap can be flaky(windows client only does peap also iirc)

hmm.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=234591

any ideas?

what's ad any way? i think microsoft should stop selling home edition.

Actually - you might know this Ian, - you know LG12? any idea where the nearest ISS AP is to that? the signal strength varies randomly

i know LG12(i think), and how ye feel, but alas i don't know where the ap is, i think its out towards the LG37 side of the building, strong signal in there and seems to be good that sorta end of LG12

Advertisement