Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forlan Fires Villareal Into Champions League Contention.

• 14-03-2005 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.soccerbot.com/spain/tables/spain05.htm

His goal today in the 4-1 drubbing of Espanyol puts the ex-Man U misfit second top scorer at 16 goals, just two behind Barcelona's Eto'o :eek: I suspect that the physical nature of the English game didn't suit Forlan. The fact that Ferguson was so quick to get shot of him obviously didn't help either. Still, it's remarkable that in one season he's been able to consistantly bang in goals for Villareal and make them unlikely Champions League contenders.

Wouldn't it be absolutely delicious to see Forlan in action against Man U in the Champions League next season? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Its hard to believe he is the same player that played for united.

how's harte getting on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The fact that Ferguson was so quick to get shot of him obviously didn't help either. Still, it's remarkable that in one season he's been able to consistantly bang in goals for Villareal and make them unlikely Champions League contenders.

Wouldn't it be absolutely delicious to see Forlan in action against Man U in the Champions League next season? :p

What a difference a year makes EH! :D

Forlan got a fair chance at United and wasn't up to it. I,m happy to see him do well as he always had a great attitude and the United fans liked him for that. It's just a pity things didn't work out for him. I wouldn't be too worried about Unite playing against him in the future but former players do tend to come back an nite you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Getafe 2 Real 1

Biggest shock ever /me awaits the imminent sacking of Wanderly Wagon and app of Rafa ;)

Levant won 4-0 Harte plays for them , they not in danger of being relegated so doing well i suppose.

Hartes stats

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

http://www.soccerbot.com/spain/tables/spain05.htm

His goal today in the 4-1 drubbing of Espanyol puts the ex-Man U misfit second top scorer at 16 goals, just two behind Barcelona's Eto'o :eek: I suspect that the physical nature of the English game didn't suit Forlan. The fact that Ferguson was so quick to get shot of him obviously didn't help either. Still, it's remarkable that in one season he's been able to consistantly bang in goals for Villareal and make them unlikely Champions League contenders.

I would not say unlikely. I saw them at Celtic Park last year and headed over to Vila real for the return leg. They were a good team with excellent fast one touch football. They got to the UEFA Cup SF last year and they have strengthened their team since and they obviously have a great goalscorer now.

Off-topic
    Have a read at this Villareal supporters set up a Celtic Supporters Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

how's harte getting on?
    injured a couple of months. don't know if he's back yet. /edit - he came on for the last 20 minutes last night so should start their next game.

I'm not suprised Forlan is doing well in Spain although I am suprised at how well he's doing.

Too many people are quick to fire players. I also rate Kezman and Kleberson really, really highly. I think its quite obvious when a player is low in confidence and no matter what Kezman is saying, his confidence has gone out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

KdjaC wrote:
    Getafe 2 Real 1

Biggest shock ever /me awaits the imminent sacking of Wanderly Wagon and app of Rafa ;)

kdjac

Great result. Barca now 11 points clear, and they need it. Barca have four very tough games back to back, Athletic home (which they won 2-0 on Saturday), Deportivo away (Deportivo seem to be finding a bit of form again), Betis home (should win this, they haven't been the best on their travels this season and Barca will want revenge for the 2-1 loss already this season) and then on the 10th of April, the big one, Real Madrid away, win that and I think the league is over.
    Barca need to take 10 points from the 12 I reckon and beat Real Madrid. The Real Madrid games are easier, Albacete away and Malaga at home I think. Malaga are a potential banana skin though.

As for the match being biggest shock ever, not really, el Real have lost 8 games now this season and have been dropping points to the lower teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Makaveli wrote:

As for the match being biggest shock ever, not really, el Real have lost 8 games now this season and have been dropping points to the lower teams.

if wimbledon(the new one) made it into the PL and beat Arsenal in their 1st game vs them at home , it would the biggest shock ever.

Dont think Barca need those points tbh, Real be lucky to get 6 points from next 12. They have malaga home, Albacete away then barca home and Levante away, normally you would say 12 from 12 but be lucky to get 6. Jesus they were awful at the back last night.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Real have been awful since they replaced their most important player and only good holding mid fielder in Makelele with David Beckham. Incredible decision that they still haven't recovered from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

KdjaC wrote:
    Getafe 2 Real 1

that rumour was on koptalk today alright :confused:
    It'd be a shock to me if he left so soon after the way he's been accepted. Poisoned chalice that place in recent years anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I'm happy for forlan that he is doing will in Spain. I think if he had of played every game the goals would of start coming. He did score some very important goals in the 2002/03 season. 1 in the last minute against Chelsea and of course the 2 against Pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

happy for forlan too. his movement is and was very good. however i have to say when i saw him in the team it didnt fill me with confidence. it just seems to be hard for foreign players to settle in england.

im glad he got a move to spain and didnt end up playing with a mediocre prem team and never improving before ending his career in division one and even later to appear in the 3rd round of the fa cup with a conference team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

He wouldnt be the first player not to perform in the EPL and then go on to do well in a foreign league, particularly from South America.

Having said that, he was woeful for United, no matter how good his movement or effort was, his finishing was woeful, and AF was right to get rid of him.

All the best to him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I beleive its 17 goals isn't it ? , and although Forlan has done wonders for Villareal the real person who has brought them into Champs contention is Riquelme , 12 goals this season and god knows how many assists .
    I was suprised he didn't make it at Barcelona but he's certainly showing his class now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

KdjaC wrote:
    Getafe 2 Real 1

Another example of why La Liga is far superior to the Premiership. Not the fact that Getafe beat Real, but the way they beat them. Did they sit back? Nope. Did they play route 1 football and look for flukey knock-downs? Nope. They just passed Real off the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dewey wrote:
    of course the 2 against Pool.

I think you'll find they are dudeks goals, I'd give Forlan an assist at best :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I would not say unlikely. I saw them at Celtic Park last year and headed over to Vila real for the return leg. They were a good team with excellent fast one touch football. They got to the UEFA Cup SF last year and they have strengthened their team since and they obviously have a great goalscorer now.

Off-topic
    Have a read at this Villareal supporters set up a Celtic Supporters Club
    Over 100 of the Villarreal Celtic supporters club travelled over to Glasgow for a charity match and lots more last weekend. The match was against members of TheHuddleBoard and the Scottish member of the club actually regularly posts on the HuddleBoard (Valencia Bhoy I think he's called). Anyway, here is the program on their trip to Glasgow if anyone wants to see it:
    http://tinyurl.com/4b637

Advertisement