Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest rock and roll band in the world?

Options
  • 14-03-2005 6:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Just weeks away now from the start of the Vertigo tour and following the recent announcement of a third leg in the US, U2 are still as bankable a live act as ever.

Maybe now would be a good time to consider U2 and their role in rock music.

From, in his own words a "blank suburban anonymous" neighbourhood on the fringes of Ballymun in North Dublin, Bono now sups with statesmen and international politicians, all with the aim of pursuing his causes of social justice.

In my view Bono is a worthy successor to the late John Lennon and has taken Lennon's political campaigning to a whole new level.

Musically, it took 3 or 4 albums before U2 got really good but when they hit it, they really hit it.

After seeing U2 during the ZooTV tour legendary record producer Phil Spector desribed them as the best live act in the world. Bob Dylan described Bono as the best frontman of his generation. Keith Richards
    and Bruce Springsteen have performed live on stage with the band.

Driven by a radical agenda, U2 have never sold out on their commitment to social justice for the oppressed as witnessed by Bono's involvement in the DATA campaign.

God bless 'em.

"We're one, but we're not the same, we get to carry each other."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think U2 are great... but people are generally pretty negative about them (or more specifically Bono) on Boards...

.. and then complain a week later when they couldn't get a ticket to the Croke Park gig! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

basquille wrote:
    I think U2 are great... but people are generally pretty negative about them (or more specifically Bono) on Boards...

Yeah I know that's the main reason I posted this. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The greatest rock band ever are Fractured from Fermanagh, get it right ;):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The greatest Rock Band ever were Whipping Boy with Gang of Four a close second

U2 would make my top 50 Irish List

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Nah best rock act ever has ta go ta Queen, end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

quite obviously-The E Street Band

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭funeral_forever

rock............... queen definatly hehe xxxkirstyxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Queen hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This post has been deleted.

Queen were indeed infinetly superior to U2.

And furthermore, Brian May could actually play guitar, unlike the Edge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Led Zeppelin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With Queen a close second.

0utshined wrote:
    Led Zeppelin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta give credit to the Zep.
    And of course, Jimmy Page could actually play guitar, unlike The Edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

The Edge can actually do all that pentatonic stuff really well. Listen to the live version of The Fly.

I think you're being a bit harsh there, I've been looking at the tab to Vertigo and reckon it'd take me a few weeks to get it down. Or maybe not. :D

0utshined wrote:
    I think you're being a bit harsh there, I've been looking at the tab to Vertigo and reckon it'd take me a few weeks to get it down. Or maybe not. :D

Hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think he means at the moment.

And seriously, Queen? Greatest band in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

this debate about the Edge "playing" guitar reminds me of BIll Bailey's Part Troll show - where he showed the Edge was all about effects :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It doesn't matter. He plays the right thing at the right time, whether that means a gazillion notes or just one, it's a great skill to have :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I have to go with Led Zeppelin here.. Nobody has ever rocked and/or rolled like them!
    And on that note i'm going to listen to 'Rock and Roll' by Led Zep!

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

oasis

nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

eoinf wrote:
    oasis

nuff said

OASIS! EXQUIZE ME.

Have to agree that Zeppelin are the greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Another zep-head here and personally, i despise Queen.

[shields eyes from flames and sneaks out a rear exit]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

kawaii wrote:
    Another zep-head here and personally, i despise Queen.

[shields eyes from flames and sneaks out a rear exit]

for me its a dead heat between the clash and led zep.

queen were really just a tacky singles band. definately not rock'n'roll. more of a novelty act.
    apart from the first 4 or 5 their albums were generally bad. really bad.

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

led zeppelin are so so over rated in my opinion, pages guitar playing live, was so terribly messy... and please dont say, "Listen to how the west was won"... i have it, clapton would piss all over the man...
    but this isnt about guitar players, this is about bands as a whole, so ill go with PEARL JAM... none of their albums sound alike... they are definitly the greatest rock band of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

2+2=5 wrote:
    led zeppelin are so so over rated in my opinion, pages guitar playing live, was so terribly messy... and please dont say, "Listen to how the west was won"... i have it, clapton would piss all over the man...
    but this isnt about guitar players, this is about bands as a whole, so ill go with PEARL JAM... none of their albums sound alike... they are definitly the greatest rock band of all time

Zep did sp much more than Eric Clapton. Though I listen to both, Clapton always maintained a purist aprouch to blues. Zep, on the other hand, experimented a lot more and got a lot of wonderful sound, much more original and interesting than Eric. In my oppinion, though Pages guitar playing is often very sloppy, his solos went a lot further than clapton's and were just more interesting.

And i don't think pearl jam would have sounded the same if Zep had never been on the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

pearl jam wouldnt sound the same if many bands didnt exist, but thats not the point... the point is that they do...
    eric clapton has played so many different guitar styles and unlike jimmy page, is still playing guitar brilliantly... everytime jimmy page and robert plant get back together all i can do is laugh at how he has lost all his guitar playing abilities... sure he did experiment, but alot of the times his experimenting got boring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

2+2=5 wrote:
    eric clapton has played so many different guitar styles

blues and rock? reggae rhythm with a blues approach?

clapton is primarily a blues player. and a pretty safe one at that. he never took any big risks after cream.

the people who play the cleanest and most presise are often the most boring and predictable like brian may and some of claptons stuff.
    hendrixs' playing was sometimes messy as hell but its wild to listen to.

this is about rock'n'roll music. which above all is supposed to be exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Have to agree,
    Zeppelin???..the more I hear them, the more they suck,,,really overated band, a real namedroppers delight , what is it in this country that everyone jumps on the bandwagon so easily with bands ..Ive listened to Zep a lot in the last few years on and off....trying to se the good music there.. the Zep 4 album I even bought, I do like that album,,but gosh they were sloppy - really sloppy at times....I dunno as was said earlier Page was a great rock guitarist but has dried up big time..Sorry lads overated is what they are - Rush wipe the floor with them and always have better musicans in every way Bonham and Peart Competition???.WHAT competition!!!... Peart has done far more dramatic ad high class drumming than Bonham ever came up with .
    All those newbie Zep fans who deny this have never listened to RUSH to see the yawning gap between Bonham and Peart.... so Zep? do me a favour their music sounds dated old and sloppy Queen were a class act..RUSH are even better anyone disagrees?..go listen and then contradict. Zep fans?...lads move on

ciao',,,Baggio.........

People who........ don't like Zeppelin???

I'm confused. :confused:

Do you not get that rush when you hear 'Rock and Roll', or 'Black Dog'.

Or how about when you listen to 'Over the hills and far away' right after 'Rain Song' and it starts off mellow and the first time you hear it you think it's going to be a quiet song again until that riff kicks in. I've been listening to that song for years and I still get excited anticipating it.

Aside :When I saw Baggio's name as the last poster I instantly knew he'd be saying Rush. :D I'll confess I've never heard them, What's a good album to start with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

0utshined wrote:
    People who........ don't like Zeppelin???

I'm confused. :confused:

would you say your a little "dazed and confused".......

sorry tou tee'd it up i just had to

Advertisement