Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest rock and roll band in the world?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Outshined....for Rush intro try Moving Pictures there are too many albums you could start with try that and maybe the compilations:
    retrospective 1 - 1974 - 1980
    retrospective 2 - 1981 - 1988

ciao' Baggio...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really think Queen were the best Rock n Roll band of all time, there will never be anythnig like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

eoinf wrote:
    would you say your a little "dazed and confused".......

sorry tou tee'd it up i just had to

Oh man, that's bad.. how can you live with yourself ? :D I really should have seen that coming.

Baggio,

Thanks I'll check that out. I love Bonham's drumming but Neil Peart is considered a master so I'm sure I'll be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

was ted neugent playing with rush for a while or am i thinking of someone else.

by the way my humour is obviously lost on a forum like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Can't believe no-one mentioned the Rolling Stones... their early stuff will be played in 100 years - as absolute all time classic. They are still going strong - but everything after the '70's sucks...

LZ had its day too as did Queen!

U2 However, are not there as long (as stones), but have constantly re-invented themselves and have retained their appeal.

Do think they deserve the title to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Ac-dc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

I dunno elivsvonchiaing....to be honest the rolling stones just bore me to tears, especially with their fantastic "jazz" drummer...
    And Baggio you shouldn't be allowed enter this debate, your answer to the greatest of every genre would be Rush! :p

Laughs at obsolete..cheeky sod :)

and no ted nugent wasnt with Rush but theres time laughs

ciao'..Baggio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

a wise man once said:
    Baggio wrote:
    Have to agree,
    Zeppelin???..the more I hear them, the more they suck,,,really overated band, a real namedroppers delight , what is it in this country that everyone jumps on the bandwagon so easily with bands ..Ive listened to Zep a lot in the last few years on and off....trying to se the good music there.. the Zep 4 album I even bought, I do like that album,,but gosh they were sloppy - really sloppy at times....I dunno as was said earlier Page was a great rock guitarist but has dried up big time..Sorry lads overated is what they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

I'm surprised ya didn't mention Bonham in that ickle speech Baggio...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Baggio,
    I dunno. I've listened to some Rush stuff, not as much Zep as I've listened to I'll admit, and while Peart is an amazing drummer and the rest of the band are very talented on their instruments, I just don't enjoy the music as music as I do with Zep's music. Being extremely talented on an instrument doesn't always lead to the most enjoyable music.
    Having said that though, I'll willingly listen to any Rush albums you recommend with an open mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

U2 and Queen would have to battle it out

Waltons,
    ...good man and fair play to you for being so open minded,..and your fully entightled to like any band ya like..i mean if folks like the music Zep produced - good luck to them, if they like em better than Rush - good luck to them aswell,,its just the ol "legendary status mega musician * tag that i always question.

Rush albums to recomend?..gosh where do i start laughs ....

well if ya want great music ..then 2112 , Moving Pictures, Hemsipheres, A Farewell To Kings, Counterparts and Grace Under Pressure

yeah its a lot..i could name 10 more but those for many fans cover their amazing abilitys and showcase them to the full ,wether its 80's style rush or 90's or 70's they fit into each decade while maintaining their own flavour...know what I mean?

A Farwell To Kings contains two 10 minute epics and im sure some will groan, i understand that....but if you listen to them seperatley as if yer listening to a classical music suit which lasts a while, because of the content THEN youll get it. As i often say music doesnt have to last 3.50 mins! and doesnt HAVE to be a SONG..theres great music everywehre which is more conceptual and multi parted , if done well rock music like that can be fantastic..and those 2 are veryy much classic in that sense amazing percussion by Peart etc

enjoy...ciao...Baggio...

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Pearl Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Id be another on the 'zep are over rated' bandwagon, because their music always seemed to bore me, dunno what it was about them but from what I have heard (admitadly, not all that much but a fair bit), I have found them samey somewhat, they have some great stuff, but they just didnt have the energy alot of the rock bands I do like (Im not that big into rock admitadly), Fractured beign what I see as the perfect rock band, so much energy in their music and their live show gives such an atmosphere (particularly when their playing in their home turf up here in Fermanagh). Just never got any of that with Zep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm sure the atmosphere was pretty spectacular with Zep as well though, Pugsley. I think that might be a large contributing factor in this; that we'll never get to go to a live Zep concert. It's obviously not the same watching something on a video or DVD even if it's from a live concert and Zep's stuff, like nearly all music, was probably designed to be heard live.
    The energy doesn't come across much in their studio recordings, but even from looking at the live Dvds they did, they seem to have quite a bit of energy on stage (Bonham particularly).

And, Baggio. Cheers mate, I'll have a look into some of those Rush albums

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Baggio wrote:
    Have to agree,
    Zeppelin???..the more I hear them, the more they suck,,,really overated band, a real namedroppers delight , what is it in this country that everyone jumps on the bandwagon so easily with bands ..Ive listened to Zep a lot in the last few years on and off....trying to se the good music there.. the Zep 4 album I even bought, I do like that album,,but gosh they were sloppy - really sloppy at times....I dunno as was said earlier Page was a great rock guitarist but has dried up big time..Sorry lads overated is what they are - Rush wipe the floor with them and always have better musicans in every way Bonham and Peart Competition???.WHAT competition!!!... Peart has done far more dramatic ad high class drumming than Bonham ever came up with .
    All those newbie Zep fans who deny this have never listened to RUSH to see the yawning gap between Bonham and Peart.... so Zep? do me a favour their music sounds dated old and sloppy Queen were a class act..RUSH are even better anyone disagrees?..go listen and then contradict. Zep fans?...lads move on

ciao',,,Baggio.........
    ARG! I just typed a very long structured reply to this, and boards didn't post it. :mad:

You know where it woulda gone anyways.

Einst hey yes I know where it would have gone lauggs but no worries we'll agree to disagree just put 3 best Zep albums on and 3 Best Rush and see whos tops , why it would be sooo easy for the 3 Mastercraftsmen sooo easy laughs

Zep are ok but thats all¬!!..Rush make emn look and sound pedestrian and dulllllllll

ciao amigo..Baggio......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Baggio wrote:
    Einst hey yes I know where it would have gone lauggs but no worries we'll agree to disagree just put 3 best Zep albums on and 3 Best Rush and see whos tops , why it would be sooo easy for the 3 Mastercraftsmen sooo easy laughs

Zep are ok but thats all¬!!..Rush make emn look and sound pedestrian and dulllllllll

ciao amigo..Baggio......

I bet you said that with a straight face and all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I listen to alot of Rush. And alot of Zeppelin.

It's all down to opinion at the end of the day (though your reason for your strange obsession with Rush ALWAYS seems to be Neil Peart and nothing but :)), but yours is just wrong! :D Hehe.

Try to look beyond the drummer (not that Bonham should be looked beyond :eek:!).

And calling all Zep fans noobs is just downright moronic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

In no particular order:
    Led Zeppelin, Queen, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix Experience, U2?

I'm also a big fan of Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, etc but none of them have been around long anough to have as much of an impact as the above.

Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World? I dont thinnk such a thing can be said about a single band

i've left alot out of the list i know. it's been a slow morning, and the afternoon isnt shaping up much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Pearl Jam, 'nuff said! They made a major impact in the early 90's and continue to bring out quality material, and have had so many absolutely legendary live shows

U2 are far, far, far too overated, IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Droogie

Zeppelin or Sabbath... Both equally good IMO..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

for me its a tie in between black sabbath, led zeppelin and queen. they all rock in their own way, in their own respective sub-genre's of rock and they are all timeless bands. so many bands now simply wouldn't be around without the influences of the above mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

Queen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Is this a question of the best rock 'n' roll band in the world or the most rock 'n' roll rock 'n' roll band in the world.

Best - Led Zeppelin / Doors / Elvis

rock 'n' roll-est - AC/DC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Rolling Stones

thread closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

rubadub wrote:
    thread closed

Eh, no it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Iggy and The Stooges - specifically 'Raw Power'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭JMArr

Baggio wrote:
    Have to agree,
    Zeppelin???..the more I hear them, the more they suck,,,really overated band, a real namedroppers delight , what is it in this country that everyone jumps on the bandwagon so easily with bands ..Ive listened to Zep a lot in the last few years on and off....trying to se the good music there.. the Zep 4 album I even bought, I do like that album,,but gosh they were sloppy - really sloppy at times....I dunno as was said earlier Page was a great rock guitarist but has dried up big time..Sorry lads overated is what they are - Rush wipe the floor with them and always have better musicans in every way Bonham and Peart Competition???.WHAT competition!!!... Peart has done far more dramatic ad high class drumming than Bonham ever came up with .
    All those newbie Zep fans who deny this have never listened to RUSH to see the yawning gap between Bonham and Peart.... so Zep? do me a favour their music sounds dated old and sloppy Queen were a class act..RUSH are even better anyone disagrees?..go listen and then contradict. Zep fans?...lads move on

ciao',,,Baggio.........

Sorry Baggio its Led Zeppelin all the way ..One word for you Rush fans : PROG !!!Zeppelin are the kings of Rock ....sure jimmy was a bit sloppy live ..but you might be too if you played 4 hour gigs and that many tours...but never on record .as for musical scope ..they mixed blues ,rock ,country ,folk ,eastern ,funk reggae [ and even dreaded PROG ]and more ...and sorry but alex lifeson sounds like he's ripping jimmy off to be honest ! I implore you to watch ''we're gonna groove ''on the live dvd and take a few tips from bonham on rock drumming ..or listen to ''when the levee breaks " or countless other zep classics..but the great thing about Zep besides the unparalleled music is that they practically defined the whole rock lifestyle ..sex drugs and private jets and looking cool doin it ..just read the hammer of the gods man.

As for the clapton vs page ..clapton is pretty much restricted to blues and variations as someone else said earlier..he couldnt have wrote dancing days or the rain song ,or kashmir etc ..and in a blues comparison if I listen to the solos on crossroads v the lemon song its a tough call ..but jimmy is just so much cooler he pips it... :D

Advertisement