Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest rock and roll band in the world?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

^^^^^^^^

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

JJmarr ,
    naaa my man alex lifeson has gone in far more guitar areas than page evrrr did and is better at all styles,,,bonham rock drumming??..dont make me laugh compared to Peart hes a pussy compare the songs and any videos ya like Peart wipes the floor with him and the rest grrr hehe Peart is better in every conceivable way; his kits were/are bigger/ he uses more of it all the time, he hits harder, he has far more variety and thats ALL during the songs not just on this song or that . RUSH never let the standard drop thats why their the ultimate musicians band...page and co never sloppy?!!?..just listen to that dreadfull sloppy amaturs end on rock and roll a great song ughh!! and they let it be released with that???.yuk!!..and bonhams flurry complete with accidental stick clash dreadfuly sloppy my man hahha
    Rush are 3 mastercraftsmen different class never stood stil,, unlike many including zep they never stayed in prog mode, but moved on and on thru every musical style while maintaining their own sound now THAT'S being progressive not prog!.. :) ...Zep were ok but had too many weak spots and were too sloppy , and lifestyle?!?!..ohh nonsence thats just for the half cut muppet at the bar to slobber about as he downs yet another jack daniles who cares about "the rock and roll lifestyle man!".. hahhha is nonesence.
    Anyway there ya go RUSH all the way better musicians , better band better live act better albums, better hair style , better socks , better jackets, better dinners now there ya go..laughs hahhaahhhahhaha

ciao niallo amigo..Baggio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Baggio, as a drummer you should know:

1) Size of kit means nothing
    2) Nor does how much of it you use (or how often), its what suits the songs. Listen to some AC/DC.
    3) Hard-hitting isn't essential, infact its better to be able to deviate from just hard-hitting.
    4) Peart's compensating for something! :D (Unless of course you'd like to vouch otherwise...)

Einst
    ...normally yess id agree with you on alll points!!..... there , but not with Peart, hes the ultimate drummer like the arnnie terminator character, just the ultimate hard hitting class drummer on the ultimate kit - its what we love to go and see eh!? and yet so seldom come across it, Ive listened to ACDC like some of their stuff , were doing some in our set is good to play with :)...yess its what suits the song, but what most folks cant get is that RUSH music is created to showcase their outstanding abilities ALL the time, thats what makes it so unique, and why so many like to go see them pull it off live, challenging and musically exciting thats the 3 mastercraftsmen
    Anyway time for me bed ciao' amigo..ZEP are/were a goood band just not in RUSH'S league is all//////......ciao' Baggio...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭JMArr

Baggio wrote:
    JJmarr ,
    naaa my man alex lifeson has gone in far more guitar areas than page evrrr did and is better at all styles,,,bonham rock drumming??..dont make me laugh compared to Peart hes a pussy compare the songs and any videos ya like Peart wipes the floor with him and the rest grrr hehe Peart is better in every conceivable way; his kits were/are bigger/ he uses more of it all the time, he hits harder, he has far more variety and thats ALL during the songs not just on this song or that . RUSH never let the standard drop thats why their the ultimate musicians band...page and co never sloppy?!!?..just listen to that dreadfull sloppy amaturs end on rock and roll a great song ughh!! and they let it be released with that???.yuk!!..and bonhams flurry complete with accidental stick clash dreadfuly sloppy my man hahha
    Rush are 3 mastercraftsmen different class never stood stil,, unlike many including zep they never stayed in prog mode, but moved on and on thru every musical style while maintaining their own sound now THAT'S being progressive not prog!.. :) ...Zep were ok but had too many weak spots and were too sloppy , and lifestyle?!?!..ohh nonsence thats just for the half cut muppet at the bar to slobber about as he downs yet another jack daniles who cares about "the rock and roll lifestyle man!".. hahhha is nonesence.
    Anyway there ya go RUSH all the way better musicians , better band better live act better albums, better hair style , better socks , better jackets, better dinners now there ya go..laughs hahhaahhhahhaha

ciao niallo amigo..Baggio

Alex Lifeson ..more styles ??? thats ludicrous please go into more detail ...he basically just sticks to prog + rock and he's not even that good at that ..name a classic Rush rock riff that tops Whole Lotta Love,Heartbreaker,Black Dog,Good Times Bad Times or even the mighty Rock n Roll you slandered...and as was pointed out previously its not about the size of the kit or how busy the drummer is ..sometimes you just need a basic power 4/4 stomp without the frills bells and whistles or midi synths for that matter...its needlessly show off [as you said on ALL the songs ..]...sometimes its about what you DONT play man..! :D

• Advertisement

Baggio wrote:
    but what most folks cant get is that RUSH music is created to showcase their outstanding abilities ALL the time,

AKA : Self Indulgence ..ooo look at us we can play over complex time signatures ooo ! :p:p:p:D
    And whats with the washing machines on stage in Rio ?
    Do the band get some kind of kinky thrill washing their dirty jocks in public?
    thats just weird canadian humor dude

I definitely saw skidmarks on Geddys y-fronts by the way :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Baggio wrote:
    RUSH music is created to showcase their outstanding abilities ALL the time, thats what makes it so unique, //////......ciao' Baggio...

thats bollocks and not very unique, and ultimately becomes rather dull. Why hasn't anyone else said that rush are over-rated???

oh and for the thread my vote goes to AC DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Dunno who the greatest rock n roll band in the world is tbh, and im not gonna argue over who is, and who isnt as its all down to personal taste, but to anyone who says jimmy page is a sloppy guitarist, go watch 'the song remains the same'. Sloppy?? Ive rarely seen as passionate a musician as page when hes playin live, so he may not be hitting every not pefectly yadda yadda, but by god he puts his back into it. The man is a legend. Check out his flares in that movie, ffs!!

Lord goat
    spoken like truly like a goat! *shakes head*..,,never mind.
    .JJMarr a riff?....my God yer a guitarist a couple of riffs doesnt make an all round master,,Lifeson only plays rock/prog?..my ass,,,i can show you dozens of tracks that have several different styles in one song, never mind a riff or two,,Alex Lifeson is an all round ensemble master.,,i dont give a toss if Jimmy is known by this or that odd riff this riff or that, ensemble masters do everystyle veryy well and thats what Lifeson has done all thru his career,,,go listen to some stuff and dont be writing what muppets just want to hear coz they dont know **** all about the other guitarist in the discussion :D ,,, zep not bad but a namedroppers delight in my boooks.
    Oh by the way I see Neil Peart is filling the cover of BMW's monthly magazine,,,hes a BMW owner for years - ahh well class follows class I suppose. Although I did see page and crew made it a few times to the cover of mini metro monthly!!,,hahahahhaahahhahahahahahahahahahahhaa

*ps* only slagging bud...now go practise our songs ya sap hahaha :D

Jimmy 4 Evah !

[ Flares just out of shot ]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pete Doherty

led zepp are the greatest rock band!

U2 are just ****! i`ve said that to so many people and then asked them why they thought they were good, and what did they say???? because they`re irish!
    what a crock of ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 S. Fly

Queen...they lasted the longest of any band whilst remaining credible. Early 1970's through to their final (and best) album Innuendo in 1991..the year of Freddie Mercury's death. Also the greatest live band of them all. Primarily a rock band but also sampled many styles effectively in their career. Also it was unique because all four members wrote hits..they had more great songs than anyone..

Just a shame that Brian May and Roger Taylor have milked the corpse of Queen and Mercury beyond belief which began falsely with a promised 'new' album, which mainly consisted of remixed solo hits, a 3rd greatest hits set (totally unnecessary and irrelevant), going on tour under the 'Queen' name with Paul Rogers.. and a rubbish musical. They have took the term 'scraping the barrel' to a new level. Mercury would be rolling in his grave had he not been cremated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I like AC/DC, Queen, Zepplin, Eric Clapton, The Who, Skynyrd, Stix, Ozzy, and Seger. My personal favorite is Rush.
    While I don't want to argue over who is better. They are all CLASSIC's and will remain CLASSIC's. Queen, Rush, Zepplin, ect. they made the music of there time and we still love it now. As AC/DC has said " Rock and Roll will never die."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E-STREET BAND are by far the greatest rock group ever - dont believe me - then get the reunion tour live on dvd - "Bruce springsteen & the e-street band live in New York" or "Live in Barcelona".
    Bruce springsteen has the stage presence and entertainment skills of Elvis etc mixed with the great song writing abilities of Bob Dylan and Van Morrison etc.

Can wait to see him live in the point next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

i think it depends what your into at any given time. i mean led zeppilen, sabbath, queen, the beatles etc should be taken as legends end of story....
    with regard to todays music its difficult to decide whose the best band of our time cos everything changes so quickly. i thought A.I.C were legends, stone temple pilots,smashing pumpkins etc. but theyre all disbanded too. maybe sometime theyll be regarded as classics in the same way we look up to the 70's legends.
    i have a lot of respect for greenday cos theyre still making great music, despite being regarded as a joke when they first came out. same with Weezer, such class songs.
    thats a very tough and sensitive topic though, i tihnk its got to do with whatever you feel like listening to at any given time, and is interchangable.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

id just like to throw my vote for zeppelin, and next id put pink floid,

but for shear fun id put ac/dc in, there not teckinally the best but they make me headbang every time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Most Definitely Queen and led zep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Led Zeppelin, for most fun band, Motley Crue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

without elaborating too much.......the who were the finest live band ever based on early 70's performances

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

u2: early stuff is damn good but i still think their very over rated.
    in no particular order or Genre id rate Queen, Ac/Dc, Slayer, Guns N' Roses, Pantera, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Greenday, Tool, Therapy, and many many more as being better live bands than U2.

please note im not comparing their music, just the strength of the live performance....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sarahpie

greatest band of all time.... LED ZEPPELIN they are just the best ever
    they are the creators of all that is good (music wise!)
    they have influenced and still do so many bands
    they r so unique
    i worship them he he sorry this is meant to be about u2

Zep best of all time?..yeahh yeahh change yer tablets!..laughs...they were ok..but too sloppy and smae sounding for me...namedroppers delight without a doubt :)

hehehee Ciao Baggio...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭bladetrinity

Doctor J wrote:
    It doesn't matter. He plays the right thing at the right time, whether that means a gazillion notes or just one, it's a great skill to have :p
    nice bit of music good balance of all great bass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Frosty

DEEP PURPLE...check out In Rock and you'll know why! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

LIZZY RULE! Come on think about it.

Advertisement