Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple GPS programs

Options
  • 14-03-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    I've got a BT GPS unit, an iPqa 4150 and a Nokia 6600 fone. I'm looking for a simple GPS program for either the PDA or the fone that will act as a speed check, I tell the program I'm in a 50 zone, it beeps when I go over 50, that kinda of thing.
    At the moment, I'm using Pocket Streets, I'm currently saving to buy Co-Pilot software so I'm after a cheap program that will do in the meantime. I've seen similar features bundled into programs.

Tks
    Bogger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There is a thing in the centre of your dashboard called a speedometer...why not use that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

BrianD wrote:
    There is a thing in the centre of your dashboard called a speedometer...why not use that?

It's in Miles/hour. And it's mis reading by +5-10% at 100kph

Speedometer's aren't very accurate, esp the analogue ones.

Same applies to GPS!

BrianD wrote:
    Same applies to GPS!
    you reckon?
    Mines quoted accuracy at a lot less than +/- 5%

Stop trolling

Far from it my friend. I've driven using GPS. According to the system, I was driving in an adjacent field for part of the route. Furthermore reception is not always guaranteed.

To me what you are proposing is a pointless use of technology. A classic example of trying to justify investment in gadgets. Then again we guys love that. It's still far easier to heed the signs and watch your speed or what ever the adverts say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

hi bogger77,

ive been looking around for descent gps software for my xda. I eventually settled for a copy of autoroute 2005 installed on a pc in the boot with a touchscreen tft up the front. What is co-pilot like? The maps for ireland aren't bad in autoroute, but it wont let you search for street names.

BrianD wrote:
    Far from it my friend. I've driven using GPS. According to the system, I was driving in an adjacent field for part of the route. Furthermore reception is not always guaranteed.

To me what you are proposing is a pointless use of technology. A classic example of trying to justify investment in gadgets. Then again we guys love that. It's still far easier to heed the signs and watch your speed or what ever the adverts say.
    I have the gadget already, and I'm looking to make more use of it, as for being shown as in a field, if you were relying on road signs in part of the country, you would be.

Synkro wrote:
    hi bogger77,

ive been looking around for descent gps software for my xda. I eventually settled for a copy of autoroute 2005 installed on a pc in the boot with a touchscreen tft up the front. What is co-pilot like? The maps for ireland aren't bad in autoroute, but it wont let you search for street names.
    there's a discussion here about it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=229127

I'm using Autoroute2005 myself, but it only shows M,N and some R class rounds outside of Dublin/Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

anyone interested in viamichelin mapsonic 1.2 upgradable to 1.3 with free download all of europe on 4 cds?dublin in full detail, all main n roads mapped, cork, galway covered, can search by streets, compatible with palm os 5 and pocket pc. i might have a copy to sell.

Advertisement