Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Glounthaune

Options
  • 14-03-2005 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Has anybody got broadband in this area.
    I've tried Eircom, but they are saying that the telephone wires are too crap where I live, and when I ask when they are going to be upgraded, they say that they don't know.

Its quite frustrating.
    By cousin lives about a kilometer down the road from me and he claims his dial-up is running at 45kbps, which would suggest to me that Eircom are lying about the telephone lines being dodgy.

Can somebody suggest an alternative.
    I know SMART recently laid a fibre-optic cable in Little Island, and that there is a wireless broadband provider operating from Mahon.

Can anybody help?
    I have ISDN at home, and while its better than my 56k, its still frustratingly slow.

Should I just move house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

howdy,
    I've broadband with Esat in Glounthaune, it works perfectly. I'm down in Johnstown, using the Little Island exchange.
    I contacted Amocom about wireless before, and they wanted me to sign a contract before they'd tell me if I could receive the signal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I use Amocom from Carrigtwohill with no problem and very low contention rates. Not sure about the contract signing thing that iceman is talking about. I filled in a form and Amocom came out to test for a signal. Once they got it, they put up the equipment there and then and I was live within the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

Is the service with Amacom wireless?

I never thought to ask ESAT.
    I might give them a shout.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'm not sure what you mean by 'wireless', iceman. There's a dish on my house that has a wire coming from it to my router. After that, I guess I'm free to do with it what I will. Since both my machines are in the same room, I just standard ethernet cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

It's wireless and it's line of sight, which can be a problem around leafy Glounthaune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

deRanged wrote:
    I contacted Amocom about wireless before, and they wanted me to sign a contract before they'd tell me if I could receive the signal!

Surely they can't do that?!

My friends been using Amocom in Douglas for almost a month now and he has no complaints. 512 up, 512 down, no download cap. Excellent pings (30ms to boards.ie compared with the 50-60ms I get on Clicksilver). And it's cheaper monthly.

The only downside is the installation fee. Seems to be a much better offer all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

when I lived in donnybrook I had amocom 'round. Nothing to sign or any crap like that. He just looked for the mast with a pair of binoculars and told me I couldnt get the service. simple as that. Signing into a 12 month contract before you know you can actually get the service is well dodgy

Does anybody have the number for Amacom?

www.amocom.com

ok so it's not a number, but it'll do the trick nicely

Here's a useful link

http://www.broadband.gov.ie

Hit the "Search for broadband in your area>>" link on the bottom left hand corner, select your county, and the area within your county (to the nearest town) and you'll get a list of the service providers.

By the way, Amacom - 021-XXXXXXX, and yes, they want you to fill out a form for a site survey and installation.
    They justify it as saving the costs of sending somebody to do a survey and then sending somebody else to do the installation. Kinda makes sense, but I'm not to keen on signing up for something before I know I can get it.

We'll see...

• Advertisement

on that site survey form does it mention a 12 month contract anywhere? When I filled in an amocom form to get a site survey there was nothing about a contract. It'd be Irishness of the highest calibre to expect someone to fork out €50 a month for a service they couldnt recieve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kevinroche

I have been told I couldn't get BB in Glanmire. I am now using a wireless signal from next door with agreement from user. Halves the cost of internet cost. Don't tell your IP or even let them know you're getting wireless equipment as its supposed to be illegal.

Greed is dying a death,
    Its the dinosaurs last breath. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mangalore

Eircom have told me my line is not suitable either. This means ESAT and otehr phoneline DSL cannot be provided. Even though Glanmire exchange is enabled!!! I heard from a guy in Ericssons that Eircom bought the lowest cost Broadband solution for DSL -surprise,surprise.

For kevinroche -who supplies your neighbour with broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yazzgoth

Here's a useful link

http://www.broadband.gov.ie

Hit the "Search for broadband in your area>>" link on the bottom left hand corner, select your county, and the area within your county (to the nearest town) and you'll get a list of the service providers.

By the way, Amacom - 021-7304625, and yes, they want you to fill out a form for a site survey and installation.
    They justify it as saving the costs of sending somebody to do a survey and then sending somebody else to do the installation. Kinda makes sense, but I'm not to keen on signing up for something before I know I can get it.

We'll see...

The company Amocom and the ph no is 021 730 4635

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Nova Networks also has coverage in most of Glounthane - fixed wireless provider, www.novanetworks.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

My olds live in Glounthaune and have Esat BB. It's only an ok service; i.e. almost no upload and 700 download (it's supposed to be 2MB/256). Esat never passed on the savings (for the first three months) that they advertised either; their customer service is crap. If and when Smart turn up, I'll get them sorted.

Advertisement