Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat6 & Switches

Options
  • 14-03-2005 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Currently rewiring my house and in the process I've run cat6 around the house.

Currently looking for wall outlets for the cat6. Anyone know where to get them, besides Maplin and RS? Trying to save a few quid. Also looking to buy cheapish cat6 patch cables - couldn't be bothered trying to make them myself.

Secondly, I'm trying to find the cat6 specification code. Basically I'm trying to find a switch (16 port) and I want to be sure it complies with the cat6 specs. When looking at switch specs, they usually say compliant with 802.3 etc etc. Whats the code for cat6?

Can anyone recommend any decent switches?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

B&Q actually do them.

Like http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=92648&entryFlag=false&PRODID=92691 but you can get ones set into the wall also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Apart from trying to "future proof" just curious as to the requirement for Cat 6 over Cat 5e..

you can get gigabit on Cat5
    Cat5e is faster
    Cat6 is very picky about termination , eg: winding in extra twists to take into account the untwisted part of the connector

these guys used to do 305m low halon cat5e for about €50 a box should have cat 6 gear
    www.connectix.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

The main reason for running the cat6 was future proofing. I wanted gigabit speeds so it was really either cat5e or cat6.

What I've done so far is run cat6 cable around the house But because of current costs I might place cat5e sockets all around and use cat5e patch cables. I will still have gigabit speeds and the scope to goto cat6 standard at a later date. But save me a few quid in the process.

Anyone recommend a gigabit switch? Elara have a netgear 16 port for under €300, and it looks the best so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Some (not all) CAT5 and CAT5e can do 1Gbit.

CAT6 is designed for it and should (according to the specs) be good for 10Gbit when it comes out. The sockets and cables are different in terms of electrical performance (and the cables in terms of design).

PS - crimping your own cables will be a thing of the past. The tolerances are MUCH tighter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement