Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What defines a Nerd?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

*Points up*

THIS, my friends, is what defines a nerd!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

There are only 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't

(thankfully, I'm not nerdy enough to understand it properly)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

10 = 2 in binary.

I want that t-shirt.

I figured it was something like that
    You could always make the tshirt yourself? Its not hard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My friends got a t-shirt made for me with 'Give me teh moneys........NO!' written on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, or I could just buy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Kitsune wrote:
    Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?

To get to the same side.

... <quiet awe>...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Oooooh chemistry jokes!!
    Mr Heisenberg was speeding along the motorway one day when he gets pulled over by the police.
    "Do you know how fast you were going, sir?" asked the policeman.
    "No," replied Mr Heisenberg, "but I can tell you where I was when I was going that fast!"

A neutron walks up to the bar and orders a drink. The bar man says, "No charge..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Caoimhe wrote:
    Oooooh chemistry jokes!!
    Mr Heisenberg was speeding along the motorway one day when he gets pulled over by the police.
    "No," replied Mr Heisenberg, "but I can tell you where I was when I was going that fast!"
    What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Heisenbergs Uncertainty Theory i think....psh, everyone knows that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

:eek: :confused::o and I even do chemistry.

LiamD wrote:
    :eek: :confused::o and I even do chemistry.
    Don't worry, you may not have covered that bit of the course... Or you may not have noticed it. It's just a little section of atomic theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Caoimhe wrote:
    Oooooh chemistry jokes!!
    *giggles all the way to the lab*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

hahahahahaha!

yeah, uncertainty yokie, you cant tell the velocity and position of a particle at the same time... GEDDIT???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

my GOD!!! .... Sir!!!... <static>.. the nerdish experiments..... <ssss> theyv'e <more hissy static> escaped from the secure units... NOOOOO!!!!... <horrible screaming>

well, we come out of the closet rarely but when we do, ladies and gents, we do it in style....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back to the whole pi thing, my maths teacher says one of the most accurate pi fractions is the 4th root of 1743/22!
    :confused: google for (1743/22) ^ (1/4)

now try 355/113 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

i wasn't that exact fraction. the top number was off i'll find it out next time i have class so bite me! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Caoimhe wrote:
    I consider myself more of a dork than a nerd... Although I do have horrendously nerdy moments...

Y'see? What are the fine lines that differentiate a geek from a dork from a nerd, these are the great questions of our time. Ok that's a filthy filthy lie, but I want to know dammit!

Hmmm. A nerd is one who cracks chemistry jokes and finds them funny. A dork is someone who gets a scientific calculator for christmas and is happy (because the battery in the last one ran out, ok?!). A geek is someone who's on the Maths quiz and the Science quiz teams.

God I'm a loser...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

and if you haver time to catalogue these discrepensies(sp??) then you clearly need to get out more......

:rolleyes: only jokin,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

has anyone here seen Revenge of the Nerds?? Also, isn't this just kinda stereotypical?? Personally, i keep getting into a mock argument with a friend over who's the bigger nerd ^^;;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

i wasn't that exact fraction. the top number was off i'll find it out next time i have class so bite me! :p

try:
    (2143/22) ^ (1/4)

I doubt anyone uses it though. Its a relatively complicated expression for pi but the result isnt that accurate. Id say there are more accurate ones involving powers and 4-figure numbers. Its only well know because the numbers are easy to recall
    From Wikipedia
    Another example of math-humor is this approximation of π: Take the number "1234", transpose the first two digits and the last two digits, so the number becomes "2143". Divide that number by "two-two" (22, so 2143/22 = 97.40909...). Take the two-squaredth root (4th root) of this number. The final outcome is remarkably close to π: 3.14159265.

me love pi! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How I wish I could calculate pi quickly today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Einstein at a train station:

"What time does Stuttgart get to this train?"

eh? ... EH?

When did stuttgart there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

I reckon we've all just proved to ourselves "what defines a nerd".......:D

'Cause I've heard their trains are really efficient...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

has anyone here seen Revenge of the Nerds?? Also, isn't this just kinda stereotypical??

Yeah. I hate that movie. You know those kids movies that feature a plucky group of kids saving their school from an implausible terrorist threat. If that were done with realistic stereotypes of nerds (yes, thats a contradiction in terms), then the nerds would brutally butcher the terrorists within twenty minutes with an assortment of Martial Arts weapons, petrol bombs, napalm, machetes and fire axes. In my experience, those the world calls nerds are well versed in the most psychotic and patantly insane methods of torture and killing. It's how thay make up for their lack of physical prowess. At least, it's how I make up for mine.

Actually, I'd like to see that movie................................

• Advertisement

...their lack of physical prowess...

I agree completely apart from the lack of physical prowess bit. My two nerdy friends nearbyt me at the moment are 1) a Martial Artist 2) a rugby player and I'm a boxer...

Advertisement