Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What defines a Nerd?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Undergod wrote:
    I agree completely apart from the lack of physical prowess bit. My two nerdy friends nearbyt me at the moment are 1) a Martial Artist 2) a rugby player and I'm a boxer...

Yeah. I only put that in to generate a little cxontroversy. I actually do Tae Kwon Do, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't start it to rectify the fact that I'm not physically imposing.

My point was that most of the nerds I know are not exactly the pinnacle of physical perfection although in retrospect the people I know that are in the very best shape, are nerds. Ironic isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Speaking of movies which show nerdism, a great one is "Free Enterprise" It's one of the most obscure films I know, and is about these two nerds who meet William Shatner. It's a great window into nerd/geek cultre, and a fantastic film. Damn tricky to turn up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A wee point of interest:
    Funny Stuttgart and Einstein should be mentioned together because Einstein was from a city called Ulm. You can get the train from Stuttgart to Ulm. I should know, I was on it. Takes about 1~2 hours AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

whats are the chances?!?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

IN fairness ColHol, there's only so many towns from that vaguely mentally defined region (Germany Switzerland Austria) that we'll think of, and Einstein was from around there.

That, or the person who invented the joke deliberately choose Stuttgart cause Einstein lived near there.

In conclusion, about 5/2.

sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Undergod wrote:
    That, or the person who invented the joke deliberately choose Stuttgart cause Einstein lived near there.

Yes, I did that. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

You do know it's "spake" don't you Jim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

HeyYou wrote:
    You do know it's "spake" don't you Jim?

Sure, it's "Spake" in Nietzsche's version, but in The Jim Conway cover version, it's "Spoke".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭joe the coat

right, skipping back several pages, if pi is 4 (as the Indiana State Senate apparently once tried to define it), circles are square.

However, I would quite like to eat a square pie...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hey check out snopes, that was a hoax about the american schools trying to round off pi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Papa Smut wrote:
    What makes a nerd?
    I believe this IS the nerdiest person alive!!!
    http://www.idleriot.com/content/clips/325/Hacker_or_Not.html

Sweet Jesus H Christ Almighty Purple Monkey Dishwasher Jizzwadd Mc Diddlywiggle!

What is she talking about?
    "A Hacker is a person who is passionate about a subject"!!!!!

That's the most patantly nonsensical sentence I've ever heard spoken.
    This weirdo (and not weird in a good way, like Aonghus, and we all love 'im, don't try to deny it) is giving nerds, geeks, dorks, and hackers everywhere a bad name. Get off the stage!!!!

I mean the clothes, the hair, the glasses, the "OH MY GOD SPEAK THROUGH YOUR DAMN MOUTH!" voice, just because you're a nerd doesn't mean you can't dress well. AAAARRRRRRGHGHGHGHGGHGHGHGHGHRRHRHG!

Jack is out of his mind right now, please leave a message after the quiet gurgle of insanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

A wee point of interest:
    Funny Stuttgart and Einstein should be mentioned together because Einstein was from a city called Ulm. You can get the train from Stuttgart to Ulm. I should know, I was on it. Takes about 1~2 hours AFAIK.

My Dad used to live in Ulm...

Yes, THRILLING information...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

Undergod wrote:
    Star Trek, and role-playing games? For shame! Two of the main pillars of nerdiness!
    *sniggers* remember risk.

Advertisement