Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, it's clear to see why the board is constantly over-run with SF/IRA threads.

You know, not that long ago (basically before I joined Boards.ie) I would have thought that anyone with enough intelligence to use a computer wouldn't have voted for murderers. How naieve was I? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sleepy wrote:
    How naieve was I? :rolleyes:

Very. How many governments can you name that do not or would not kill or aid in the killing of others for their own gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sleepy wrote:
    Well, it's clear to see why the board is constantly over-run with SF/IRA threads.

Why is it clear? The vast majority of threads started on this forum anti Sinn Fein and anti IRA. Maybe that is the reason why SF supporters are here.

You know, not that long ago (basically before I joined Boards.ie) I would have thought that anyone with enough intelligence to use a computer wouldn't have voted for murderers. How naieve was I? :rolleyes:

You have obviously answered your own question, in your own eyes, the people who vote for SF on boards are not intelligent enough for you. Nearly every government in the history of the world has used and justified murder to achieve some aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Goodshape wrote:
    Very. How many governments can you name that do not or would not kill or aid in the killing of others for their own gain?

Hmm - I'd say the Irish government. First it's too energetic and second can you imagine how long it would take to negotiate pay scales and employment packages with whichever union represents the assassins.

Back on the point - I think a natural division in this country would be FF/Labour and FG/PD but that's unlikely to happen so our two main parties will always have to compromise to the other half who in turn get far more influence than their election results would warrant on their own.

aodh_rua wrote:
    Hmm - I'd say the Irish government.

indymedia.ie
    In 2004 more than 158,000 US Troops flew through Shannon Airport, most on their way to Iraq.

But they're just Iraqis I suppose. No big deal.

On the topic, it's reasons like this that I would more than likely vote Sinn Fein. One government accusing another of wrong doing in this day and age is pot calling the kettle black. And that's basically all I hear in opposition to Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote:
    indymedia.ie

But they're just Iraqis I suppose. No big deal.

The poster did say for 'their gain'; since the government are effectively subsidising the US flights by not following up on landing charges I don't see the gain (other than some tenuous connection to US industrial investment in Ireland), but I take your point.

The vast majority of threads started on this forum anti Sinn Fein and anti IRA.
    And you've never once stopped to think why that is have you? Or does your collective persecution-complex prevent you from doing that?
    You have obviously answered your own question, in your own eyes, the people who vote for SF on boards are not intelligent enough for you.
    I thought that was obvious. ;)

Nearly every government in the history of the world has used and justified murder to achieve some aim.
    You just don't see the difference do you?

Sleepy wrote:
    And you've never once stopped to think why that is have you? Or does your collective persecution-complex prevent you from doing that?

I have no need to stop and think why. I was referring to your statement 'Well, it's clear to see why the board is constantly over-run with SF/IRA threads.' I asked why it is clear (which you never answered) and mentioned the fact that the vast majority of republican threads that over-run boards are started by people that are anti-SF or anti-IRA.
    I thought that was obvious. ;)

Not as obvious as some others here who dismiss anyone who is a republican as a bastard, scum or not intelligent enough for them to concern themselves, you need to go with the flow.

Sleepy wrote:
    You just don't see the difference do you?

What difference? It is OK to murder as long as a government does the murdering. That difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm an advocate of neither.

But a difference is accountability. A government is acting on the mandate of the population of the country it represents, having been elected by democratic means.

A paramilitary organisation is self appointed and acting against the wishes of the population majority. As such it is self policing, taking moral guidance form itself only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I am surprised that the FG support is so small here

please,please,please just for once can we stay on topic, wont someone think of the children

How many of you who have voted in this poll, cannot vote over here?

I am surprised how little the FG & FF support is. I am also surprised with the SF, PDs and Greens support but there you go.

I'll vote so long as I'm in the country (I'm not at the minute). Havn't looked into getting a vote from over here, but I'm sure its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Nuttzz wrote:
    I am surprised that the FG support is so small here

suburban nature of boards vs rural FG vote?

One could argue that the FG voters are too busy at work to spend time hanging around boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

mycroft wrote:
    Irish1 knows that SF are over represented on boards as a political party, it's just y'know the last few weeks, have been, well, a tad, depressing, for himself.

Hell there are people on this board who could be shown photos of Addams and Mc Guinness dancing while wearing human entrails as hats, and still vote SF.

Depressing for me???? Nah I love the deabte I just like it to be fair and reasonable, and wish people could discuss the issues at hand instad of abusing each other.

I didn't post the poll to see how many people supported Sinn Fein, I had a fair idea of that anyway, I posted the poll to see how well supported the other partys are.

I have no need to stop and think why. I was referring to your statement 'Well, it's clear to see why the board is constantly over-run with SF/IRA threads.' I asked why it is clear (which you never answered) and mentioned the fact that the vast majority of republican threads that over-run boards are started by people that are anti-SF or anti-IRA.
    It was clear because of the amount of people voting for Sinn Fein and the amount voting for the PD's. You can't get much further polar opposites in Irish politics.

What I asked you to think about was that if it's a fact that the vast majority of posts dealing with Republicanism here are started by people highlighting extremely valid concerns about allowing people who carry out the actions highlighted to take part in the democratic running of a country, maybe your support for these people could be misguided.
    dismiss anyone who is a republican as a bastard, scum or not intelligent enough for them to concern themselves, you need to go with the flow.
    You said it, not me. What flow? Are you suggesting I join Sinn Fein now? ROFL
    What difference? It is OK to murder as long as a government does the murdering. That difference?
    No, the difference between a government and a bunch of terrorists, that despite claiming to love this country, rape it.

aodh_rua wrote:
    One could argue that the FG voters are too busy at work to spend time hanging around boards.
    I think you've a definite point here. The age demographic on Boards.ie would tend to be in their 20's. Most people in their twenties (or younger) tend to still be quite idealistic and have yet to give into cynicism of the centrist parties.

It's quiet well documented that a large amount of Sinn Fein's support is of the angry young man variety, the Greens has always had a young support base (through the idealism of youth), Labour is similar to the Greens in that respect. Students tend to take something of an interest in economics and you'll always find a few that will sign up to the free market ideals of the PD's. Though I believe their intolerence of terrorism in Irish politics also plays a part in their appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

A lot of opinion based on such a small amount of votes! What's new !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

ziggy67 wrote:
    Yeah your right, i should have worded that better.

What i basically mean is people vote for whoever can do the best for their area. This means nothing much improves nationally. Take incinerators for example. The Government agree that they are needed but no TD will accept them on their own doorstep and as a result nothing happens.

Thats probably all as clear as mud but that was what i was driving at anyway

Voters would first have to think that incinerators (or any other example) are good for the country, apprently they don't.
    uberwolf wrote:
    But a difference is accountability. A government is acting on the mandate of the population of the country it represents, having been elected by democratic means.

Oh, so, it's ok for a state to murder because it has "been elected by democratic means"... now I'm just trying to remember where I've heard that gem being used before.
    Labour/Sinn Fein(When they clean up their act)/Greenparty in coalition would be great.

That's not going to happen as long as Rabbitte and the rest of the old (Sinn Fein) the Workers Party people are still around.

Besides Labour are getting less and less left-wing as the days go by - Rabbitte couldn’t give a proper answer to Vincent Browne in an interview in Village as to what’s so different from Labour to any other party, including the PDs. He sees kicking FF out more important then, well, anything – opposition just for the sake of opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

aodh_rua wrote:

Also, one could argue that PD voters are more wealthy than your average voter, afford computers and internet access more than your average less well off voter hence the demgraphic of people online is unrepresentative of society as a whole imho.

monument wrote:
    Oh, so, it's ok for a state to murder because it has "been elected by democratic means"... now I'm just trying to remember where I've heard that gem being used before.
    Of course it's not ok for the state to Murder,I'm surprised that you even implied that from that post.
    Uhm,the comment was in refferal to the fact that democratic governments that go to war or who run armies that kill are open to democratic scrutiny and the ultimate sanction being thrown out of office.
    This does not apply to terrorists.
    irish1 wrote:
    I didn't post the poll to see how many people supported Sinn Fein, I had a fair idea of that anyway, I posted the poll to see how well supported the other partys are.

Well I've news for you and I suspect it's not news, but many peeps have 2nd and third accounts here so a reader of a poll could not know how accurate it is as some will have voted twice or three times.
    Secondly this being a politics discussion forum, it naturally attracts political activists,thus also making an opinion poll redundant if you want to use it as a guide to what the general population thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Am i having seeing difficulties or has sinn fein the biggest support

Earthman wrote:
    Well I've news for you and I suspect it's not news, but many peeps have 2nd and third accounts here .

Surely that is not allowed and that user should have all accounts banned from boards?

Surely that is not allowed and that user should have all accounts banned from boards?
    It's a common occurance as there are a massive number of sign ups on a daily basis.
    It becomes a banning issue if it is discovered that the second account is created to circumvent a ban on the first account.
    moderators can however investigate 2nd or 3rd accounts.I've banned a few of them myself on the boards that I moderate and with others that I see as no harm or that are being constructive, I've taken no action.

Since I've became a mod on boards.ie,I've paid no heed whatsoever to opinion polls here for that reason, plus the fact that they are distorted anyway as the ballot is not a societal representative sample, given that those who come here are in large part activists as opposed to just by standers.

It would be like running two polls on do you enjoy regular sex, one poll at UCD and the other at a retirement home for nuns.
    The results of both polls would be largely different because of the pool used for each sample and neither would be representative of society as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

irish1 wrote:

FYI: This is not a public Poll, i.e. nobody will know what you voted.

This should have been a public poll.
    People should not be ashamed of stating which party they voted for.
    I went for Labour.

on a separate note I saw someone with a "Sinn Fein The Workers' Party" sticker on them a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

No reason for it to be public.Iam sure theres no problem voiceing who you voted for,but its a private thing and everyone has a right to keep it to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Well the results of this poll seem to have about as much basis in reality as that poll the meath Chronicle did before the Meath by-election, that said FF would win by a landslide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Sleepy wrote:
    What I asked you to think about was that if it's a fact that the vast majority of posts dealing with Republicanism here are started by people highlighting extremely valid concerns

What you fail to say though is that several of the people posting on these threads are comming out with all kinds of abusive statements about people with Republican ideals most of which go unchecked by the moderators and usual ends in the thread going completely off topic.

Advertisement