Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

challenge: Looking to find a song.. no idea of artist

Options
  • 14-03-2005 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Hi, hopefully someone can help me with this one. I think it's an Irish artist, in the style of the clancys.
    Anyway, I remember hearing this as a kid when my parents would play it on a tape which is long since lost/ruined. If I recall correctly it was the story of a woman who was trying to have kids and she entered into a deal with the sea that in exchange for being able to have kids that the sea could have something of hers in exchange. Used haunt me a bit as a kid, cos it was kinda scary. If I remember correctly the chorus was something along the lines of
    "Cast a ship upon the sea, a silver ship upon the sea,
    a child will come back home to me...."
    And there was all sorts of narrative between the woman and the sea (or maybe it was the wind??) and how she would not know when the sea wanted to take something from her in exchange, but in the end it took one of her family (husband maybe??)
    Anyway, if anyone could tell me who this was and the song title i'd really appreciate it..
    Cheers
    Ken

Comments

Advertisement