Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best of the Metal Gear Solid series??

Options
  • 14-03-2005 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Now that Snake Eater is out and most fans have played or, if you're like me, getting frustrated playing it at the moment (but in a good way) what is your favourite of the series?

Which is the best Snake? 44 votes

Metal Gear Solid 1
    0% 0 votes
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    65% 29 votes
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    6% 3 votes
    Twin Snakes
    27% 12 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You forgot 4 games in the poll. Metal Gear 1, Solid Snake: Metal Gear 2 both for the msx, The terrible and not really part of the series snakes revenge, and MG: Ghost Babel on GBC.

For me it's:

1. MGS
    2. Solid Snake: MG
    3. MGS 3
    4. MG (MSX one not the NES one)
    5. Ghost Babel
    6. MGS:TS
    7. MGS 2
    8. Snakes Revenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You forgot 4 games in the poll. Metal Gear 1, Solid Snake: Metal Gear 2 both for the msx, The terrible and not really part of the series snakes revenge, and MG: Ghost Babel on GBC.

my (very) bad, I only thought there were 4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't worry. Never knew about the MG series until MGS and then only dug up the 2 games before it because I was interested in the backstory or MGS that wasn't explained very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Well, he did call the thread 'Metal gear solid' series, so I guess he was right to leave out the first few games which were called metal gear :p

I'd have to say Metal gear solid anyway, as I haven't probably played 2, and I haven't played 3 yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

TBH Metal Gear is the most overrated series of games in the history of video games ... they had some interesting ideas, and the presentation is top class, but really it is pac man dressed up in multi-million dollar graphics, and you spend half your time watching the game rather than playing it. And WTF was MGS 2 all about ... seriously I know Jap games are supposed to be quirky but that was taking the piss.

Anyway .. rant over :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Wicknight wrote:
    you spend half your time watching the game rather than playing it. And WTF was MGS 2 all about ... seriously I know Jap games are supposed to be quirky but that was taking the piss.

Anyway .. rant over :D

This is the very reason it has the best story line of any games ever. People say Half life 2 had a great story, what a crock of **** (Dont get me wrong, great game, but story isnt worth a damn) The story line is what metal gear games are all about, its what makes me want to get to the next section so the story can continue.

As HL2 proved the really only effective way to get across a story is with cut scenes, and MGS has the best cut-scenes anywhere. I'd go as far to say that when i list my favourite directors, i add in Hideo Kojima.

As for MGS2, what didnt you like about it. Sure it got turned on its head in the last hour or so, but so did the usual suspects, and no-one complains about that.

And for the record, I cant pick a favourite. MGS had the best gameplay i'd say, but MGS2 has the best cut-scenes (if quantity is taken) whereas MGS3 has THE best cut scene ever, and the gameplay aint half bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

MGS for me.
    The story was great and the gameplay was enjoyable and ground breaking (not the first stealth game I know, but c'mon).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Peteee wrote:
    This is the very reason it has the best story line of any games ever. People say Half life 2 had a great story, what a crock of **** (Dont get me wrong, great game, but story isnt worth a damn) The story line is what metal gear games are all about, its what makes me want to get to the next section so the story can continue.

As HL2 proved the really only effective way to get across a story is with cut scenes, and MGS has the best cut-scenes anywhere. I'd go as far to say that when i list my favourite directors, i add in Hideo Kojima.

As for MGS2, what didnt you like about it. Sure it got turned on its head in the last hour or so, but so did the usual suspects, and no-one complains about that.

And for the record, I cant pick a favourite. MGS had the best gameplay i'd say, but MGS2 has the best cut-scenes (if quantity is taken) whereas MGS3 has THE best cut scene ever, and the gameplay aint half bad either

who says HL2 has a great story ? I thought it was common knowledge that it was ****ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

TBH Metal Gear is the most overrated series of games in the history of video games ... they had some interesting ideas, and the presentation is top class, but really it is pac man dressed up in multi-million dollar graphics, and you spend half your time watching the game rather than playing it. And WTF was MGS 2 all about ... seriously I know Jap games are supposed to be quirky but that was taking the piss.

It's an interactive movie with a lot more style and class than most games these days. I suppose you think Splinter Cell is a lot better?

I haven't played snake eater yet :mad: No ps2 atm. The original mgs has the best storyline by far out of the two. Raiden is just too much of a pussy in the 2nd.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Twin Snakes. Aside from the fact that it's the first MGS game I completed (I never got into the original on the PS), it's a brilliant game and has some of the best cutscenes seen in any game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Which is the best of the Metal Gear Solid series??

meaning the original pole is correct

Well it's only called Metal Gear Solid since MGS was the first game in the series that was successful and Metal Gear Solid is more recognisable than Metal Gear. Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake are part of the series since they both take place before MGS and also the story of MGS follows the stories of these two games. I you want to really understand Frank Jager you have to play the first two games. Also in gameplay terms MGS is a remake of Solid Snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I really should have put down MGS because it really is the best one, but the additions to Twin Snakes made it well worth my money... and cos im playing it at the moment too.

The first 2 games were pretty damn good as far as gameplay and settings go, minefield + no weapons = one of the best showdowns ever, poor Frank Jaeger

I included Twin Snakes because I knew it was popular with non PS2 Gamers (Nintendo?) Is it the best bits of MGS 1 and 2 combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I choose MGS3 over the others because it is the best, overall game in the series.

MGS3 surpasses MGS in the graphics department and the cutscenes are also a lot more exciting and well-directed. I know I can't really hold graphics against MGS but it does make a difference to the overall style.

MGS2's story got a little convoluted towards the end. The gameplay was enhanced (NOT improved) and the cutscenes were cool too but the storyline let it down.

As for Twin Snakes, it was MGS with OTT cutscenes...

MGS3 has the most entertaining plot, best directed cutscenes and most improved gameplay of the series.

Nuff' said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I FEEL ASLEEP!

The MG series was always over-rated stuff but it's still fun though, I'd go for MGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

mgs3 is the culmination of the entire metal gear world after so many years. and now, hideo is taking a back-seat for the next part of the story ("the metal gear solid trilogy is over")

I think every game in the series has its amazing points.

The first had the most straightforward story and introduced alot of people to the stealth style of game. The 2nd had that amazing battle with the giant walking robots, an incredible achievment with the PS2 graphics engine! And the 3rd (so far) is the best for cutscenes and the hardest to complete (IMO), you'll really miss those rader positions at first.

I voted for the first tho as, overall, its a game Id put on par with Turrican 1 and 2 (on the C64) that I just went "wow" when I finnished it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

If anyone knows me then they know I'd easily go for MGS 3. They seemed to have used every resource and every man 24/7 to create this totally hard core MGS. It is no question the best work a man can do with the technoligy we have now.
    I remember playing MG when I was 3,4,and 5 years old. I had no idea what I was playing but I remember the guy tied to the chair. I bet if I played it now it'd be too cool. But the Metal Gear Solids will live on forever in the gaming world (at least I hope the will).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Me votes for MGS 2. MG3 is a step too far and the origional of MGS lacks the benefits of the ps2's engine. A remake of the origional with minimal unnecessary modifacations would hit the spot.

Ps If you disagree with the HL2 storyline, turn off your Dell right now and play your ps2 some more...

• Advertisement

Me votes for MGS 2. MG3 is a step too far and the origional of MGS lacks the benefits of the ps2's engine. A remake of the origional with minimal unnecessary modifacations would hit the spot.

After finnishing 3 Im inclined to agree, 2 had the best gameplay but the weakest plot. Between 1 and 2 now for me. I think I had too high hopes for 3, although it was still very good.

FYI for everyone MGS 3 is not for everyone. It had outstanding graphics and a great plot to coincide with MGS 2. I think Kojima did very well. And I hope his predicessors will do the same. Or MGS is doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Mgs 3 is ott and stupid. You cant have a radar but you can have a giant spider like robot and soldiers on flying , jet powered platforms!?

Mgs 3 is ott and stupid. You cant have a radar but you can have a giant spider like robot and soldiers on flying , jet powered platforms!?
    I'd agree with you, but to be honest after MGS2 I was used to ridiculious stuff.

Something occured to me recently. The Mechs from the first two were lizard-like, but what about the Shagohad? It reminds me of a hermit crab tbh.

Well it looks better than the original metal gear:

p51large.GIF

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Well it looks better than the original metal gear
    Ha, true, the old tx-55 was one ugly machine.

Ick! Thats the one from Solid Snake. The one from the first game is even worse.

Yep but the second game is ssssooo better than the third so better it has a vampire, a gay guy named Riaden, a belt that can deflect bullets.
    Citizen Erased I think you need to look at what you're doing. YOU'RE PLAYING A GAME! You can make it as real as possible but it's still going to be FICTION.
    You're not the only one that doesn't like MGS 3 I'm sure. But there are more than enough people who DO like it. That's life, live with it.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Ick! Thats the one from Solid Snake. The one from the first game is even worse.
    Ah, I never finished the first game. I got past fire trooper, then didn't play it for awhile. By the time I got back I didn't know what was going on, and gave up.

• Advertisement

Completed the first one yesterday (minus a PS1 memory card) and remembered why I voted for it as the best. It makes me wanna go out and buy MGS2 now though (only borrowed it last time) and play the entire series. An absolutely engrossing trioligy ;)

Advertisement