Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming

Options
  • 14-03-2005 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

I am a keen gamer , love the XBOX and PS2.
    and more old skool the N64 and MEGA DRIVE

but........

i would like to get into PC gaming now. dunoo what to go for though...
    i'm not mad keen on the war games like take over the world kinda stuff

i hate any premiership manager etc games!!!!!

and i don't want games that i can get on the XBOX or PS2
    i want something differrent

fussy!! i know, but just looking for suggestions form people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

derv wrote:
    I am a keen gamer , love the XBOX and PS2.
    and more old skool the N64 and MEGA DRIVE

but........

i would like to get into PC gaming now. dunoo what to go for though...
    i'm not mad keen on the war games like take over the world kinda stuff

i hate any premiership manager etc games!!!!!

and i don't want games that i can get on the XBOX or PS2
    i want something differrent

fussy!! i know, but just looking for suggestions form people.

Try Half Life 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

i would rather die than have to sit and play one of those manager games.

i know they are popular..... what ever floats your boat.

i will have a look at that, cheers man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

fps are better imo on pc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Tusky wrote:
    So your into football management games...anything else?

Try Half Life 2.

Thats some reccomendation in 2 threads! ;-) you like it or don't?

lol
    Tusky wrote:

what to play...what to play

Ive been playing a load of decent games of late but nothing has really sucked me in. Looking for a recommendation. If yea fail in picking me a game I fear I may end up buyin world of warcraft and say goodbye to the next year of my life.

heres what Im playing at the moment

-Republic Commando ( meh )
    -Rome : Total War ( classic but Im getting a lil bored of it at this stage )
    -KOTOR 2 ( not a patch on the first one and Ive lost interest after only a few hours play )
    -Full Spectrum Warrio ( goodish but I cant be arsed playing on )
    -HL 2 ( what a ****ty ending )

any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Drapper wrote:

lol
    he just said that it had a ****ty ending... and it did.

HL2 isn't the game that many peeps hyped it up to be. more of an 8/10 than a 10/10.

• Advertisement

tman wrote:

HL2 isn't the game that many peeps hyped it up to be. more of an 8/10 than a 10/10.

"I was only having the craic ............ Tusky told your man to get it but on another thread he said it was ****ty !! ;-) "

BTW I thought HL2 was well worth the wait and the forking out of 75 dollars for the gold version online 3 months in advance with all the backdated HL games and upcoming DOD source !!

D

Drapper wrote:

lol

I loved Half Life 2. It has a ****ty ending though.

Tusky wrote:
    I loved Half Life 2. It has a ****ty ending though.

do you think they did that to keep the hype for HL3 ?? I'm hanging in for BF2 seen the demos yet??

http://icecentral.com/forum/siteindex.php?input=downloads&do=catViewMore&cat=4

Looks great !

Drapper wrote:
    do you think they did that to keep the hype for HL3 ?? I'm hanging in for BF2 seen the demos yet??

http://icecentral.com/forum/siteindex.php?input=downloads&do=catViewMore&cat=4

Looks great !

They could have made a fantastic ending and hyped HL3 even more so because of it. The HL2 ending was pure lazyness.

Cant wait for BF2.

and the suggestions?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Depending on what kind of computer you've got...

If its powerful, then HL2, Far Cry (which it think is better than HL2).
    You could try the Sims2 - a lot of people love it - its the equivalent of Soap Opera on TV. Command And Conquer: Generals is a good, fun real time strategy. Rome Total War is a very intensive real-time strategy - more serious - but probably more engrossing too. Call of Duty is another good FPS - that will probably run on a less powerful PC - I know you can get some sort of COD on consoles - but they're not the same. Vampires The Masquerade: Bloodlines - is a FPS / RPG hybird - great graphics - had a few bugs when it was initially released - supposed to be ironed out now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Give No One Lives Forever 2 a go if you're looking for something different, it's not new but it's an excellent fps. It's got a very lightweight rpg element to it, basic upgrading of character stats, it's really funny too. You should be able to pick it up for €10 or so these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

tman wrote:

Yeah, it was a good game, I wasn't blown away by it though. I'd give it 8/10 too.

Last game I played that I really enjoyed was Warcraft III.
    And Civilization 2 is also worth checking out, much better than Civ 3, and probably costs about €5 at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

If you have broadband, definetaly get Half Life 2 as counter stike is class and also HL2 deathmatch is also a good laugh both of these come with HL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Online games,

World of Warcraft
    Dark age of Camelot
    Star wars galaxies
    Eve
    City of Hero's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should play a few of the classic point and click games. The monkey island games, Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle and the Revolution games are all quality and some of the funniest games ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You should play a few of the classic point and click games. The monkey island games, Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle and the Revolution games are all quality and some of the funniest games ever.
    Yes, do that... and download 'under a steel sky' while your at it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

For more tactical, realistic shooters check out Ghost Recon and Rainbow6 3. They're both available on consoles but they're not really the same, you can only play them properly on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Both great games,

More realistic in the way that you cant get shot to piece's and walk away, its a 1 bullet kills game. Very good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

...and on that note, Project IGI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

If you're into your track-based racers, get GTR - can't get that on consoles and it's...well...superlative doesn't quite cover it.

Also (FPS), CounterStrike. Never played anything else since it came out (and that was some time ago, too...) - far superior to Halo (XBOX) for the m'player - deathmatches.

And Flight sims. Not as pick-up-&-play, granted, but not as boring as God-type or Strategy-type games. Combat flight sims get absolutely engrossing once you've got enough flight-time ;) under your belt, and here's a genre you'll not find any decent example of on consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Give some sim's a go if your looking for something different, and I'm not referring to EA's 'The Sims' series.

Try Flight Sim 2004, Silent Hunter III (not out yet but great sub-sim series) or Trainz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Soldier of Fortune 2, Joint Operations, Delta Force, Doom 3, Far Crt, all great FPS. Newer ones, though. There are some fantastic older ones you'd pick up for a fiver or so now like Unreal Tournament, Quake 2, Kingpin, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Carmageddon TDR, Combat Mission, etc.

There are some great budget games out as well, that you'd pick up cheap, like Line of Sight: Vietnam and WWII Sniper-Call to Victory.

It all depends as well though on what type Pc you have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Rhyme wrote:
    Yes, do that... and download 'under a steel sky' while your at it.
    I love that game!

cheers lads , i'll look into them

anyone used the ps2 controller adapter for the pc?

what's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

...and on that note, Project IGI

Grat game that's ruined by the terrible AI. Stupid bots shooting through ceilings and walls before they see or hear you.
    cheers lads , i'll look into them

anyone used the ps2 controller adapter for the pc?

what's it like?

Stick to keyboard and mouse tbh. It's far superior to a joypad for fps, strategies ect. I'd say joypads are only better for sports titles and racing games. Once you get use to it you will agree.

BloodBath

Advertisement