Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advance Roms???

Options
  • 14-03-2005 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I remember seeing a website that said they were selling a special cartridge for the GBA which you could load roms onto. Do these actually exist/work? Is there any way of plaing GBA roms on the DS? Please tell me more!
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have your read the games charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Cianos wrote:
    Is there any way of plaing GBA roms on the DS? Please tell me more!
    Cheers
    The DS has a slot for GBA cartridges... is that any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

No, I didnt read the charter. but I just did there. So, without breaking the rules, is there anywhere I can learn more about this very interesting topic of game roms, as I want to write a school essay on the subject..ahem :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Cianos wrote:
    No, I didnt read the charter. but I just did there. So, without breaking the rules, is there anywhere I can learn more about this very interesting topic of game roms, as I want to write a school essay on the subject..ahem :D

As far as I know you can legally buy ROM carts on the internet that you can transfer programs onto using a PC (USB or Serial port) that can be run on a Gameboy or Gameboy Advance. These seem very common in Japan, and there is a large legal modding community built up around messing around with the operating system and stuff on the Gameboy. I have seen a version of Linux and Apache running on a GBA which was pretty cool (I am such a nerd :D ).

I recommend you do a search in Google. I would avoid talking about downloading illegal roms to play them because this really pisses of the genuine hackers who are interested in messing around with the hardward. They don't want to have the legal might of Nintendo bearing down on them because some fools just want to play games for free. So if you are only interested in this to get free games I would forget about it, you won't get much help on the internet. Stick to asking about free user made community games and messing around with the hardware if I were you

Here is a good cart that has some nice featues built in to its OS

http://www.ezflash.cn/indexe.asp

Ther eis an app called Pogo Shell as well which gice some PDA like features to GBA's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

http://www.gbadev.org/ is the centre of the scene. there are some free dev kits for gba, and some great stuff going on. I've downloaded lots of the tools and tutorials, but i'm still working on games progging for windows before i cut my teeth on the gba :)

Heres a good DS site:

http://www.themodgods.com/

and a book on GBA programing that Nintendo wouldn't let be published:

http://www.jharbour.com/gameboy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

I downloaded that book about 2 weeks ago and have been messing around with some programs running them in virtual gameboy advance, its an alright book, not the best programming book but its good fun if your into that but as was said before me the downloading of ROMs just to play free games is a no no around most development sites.

However if your interested in gettting into GBA programming the sites the lads have posted are good!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you want to buy a GBA devcart there is no better place than www.gbax.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wicknight wrote:
    As far as I know you can legally buy ROM carts on the internet that you can transfer programs onto using a PC (USB or Serial port) that can be run on a Gameboy or Gameboy Advance. These seem very common in Japan, and there is a large legal modding community built up around messing around with the operating system and stuff on the Gameboy. I have seen a version of Linux and Apache running on a GBA which was pretty cool (I am such a nerd :D ).

I recommend you do a search in Google. I would avoid talking about downloading illegal roms to play them because this really pisses of the genuine hackers who are interested in messing around with the hardward. They don't want to have the legal might of Nintendo bearing down on them because some fools just want to play games for free. So if you are only interested in this to get free games I would forget about it, you won't get much help on the internet. Stick to asking about free user made community games and messing around with the hardware if I were you

This post sums up pretty much what I was thinking. And Cianos, if you think using "please do my homework for me" is a way of getting around the charter rules well then you're just a moron. Yellow card, I will ban you if I smell warez off you again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement