Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom press release, 1M -> 4M DSL

• 14-03-2005 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Baud

Eircom press release
    Monday 14 March, 2005: Following extensive trials in recent months eircom is set to transform the speed of Broadband in Ireland by increasing the entry level or standard speed from 512kbs to 1Mb for all wholesale and retail customers by 8 April, 2005.

going up from 512K to 1M, and 2M to 4M

no idea on upload speeds from this though.

L.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

w00t

nothing about caps thos :/
    maybe i can use my 8 gigs twice as fast now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

:o

anything from esat/iol yet? I can't find anything

when did that page go live?

wtf, home plus up to 2megs?????

holy freakin ships,
    can i really use my cap 4 times as fast now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Esat will be taking advantage of this. They've no option but to. "increasing the entry level speed" means that there will no longer be a 512K option available to anyone.

Eircom are doing this so that they don't have to lower prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

http://mmm.eircom.ie/press/PressRelease_Target.asp?id=400&y=2005

Sounds bloody excellent... i might not move away from Eircom just yet!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Things might be looking up alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

IOL and UTV will have the same offers as well - if they dont increase the caps then these higher speeds will be worthless. Umm moving the speeds up to 2Mb....I must say I'm surprised I expected 1Mb max. Upload better increase because 128 is very sloooooowwwww.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Well it's such a shame they neglected to mention caps / contention / interleaving / upstream bandwidth changes. Maybe they are leaving them as they are :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

woo hoo! 2mb for the same price I'm on now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

HOLY CRAP?! ON APRIL THE 5TH IM GOING TO HAVE A 2MB CONNECTION? JESUS I FEEL LIKE IM GOING TO CUM!!

SORRY FOR THE CAPS FOLKS BUT GOD AM I EXCITED!

[/nerd]

But, for real, I heard this wasn't coming until a lot later in the year. April 5th? Amazing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Chalk,

Good to see a bit of hat-eating there. Rest assured, when Gombin preaches, it can be taken as Gospel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

gomb&#237 wrote: »
    Chalk,

Good to see a bit of hat-eating there. Rest assured, when Gombin preaches, it can be taken as Gospel :D

LOL

Now maybe he can pop in and tell us about the caps and upload speeds. Anyone want to bet that they'll stay exactly the same?

Still - it's good news for gaming :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if there's no increase in caps this is pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

NTL, ESAT, UTV, Smart - the gauntlet has been thrown..

..convince us paying customers that we should give you our cash..

*ching ching*
    let the games begin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

WOW!

this is really great to hear,

they must have really got scared of Smart Telecom, Jesus, God bless Smart Telecom, if it wasn't for them, we'd prolly get at 512 for a loooong time

I love how isp rivalry rises in Ireland :)

have to agree wtih the caps though, if they didn't mention them, it must be something fishy, or maybe they took caps of completely? that's why they didn't mention them? you know they took them off but don't tell people so they are left thinking if there is cap and use less with a fear of being charged if they really exist?

IMHO upload speeds will stay the same, if Smart doesn't go up to 256, eircom won't either.

causal wrote:
    NTL, ESAT, UTV, Smart - the gauntlet has been thrown..

..convince us paying customers that we should give you our cash..

*ching ching*
    let the games begin..

Esat and UTV's packages will be upgraded to the same speeds that Eircoms will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

All,

I'll have more news up for ye, as I have it.

As regards caps lads, calm down!!! The only people to the best of my knowledge that have been charged/disconnected for going over caps by eircome that we're taking the piss, i.e. spammers and those in businesses that were hooking up as many computers as they liked to the basic package. I obviously won't mention names, but lets say that I'm aware of a few cases were CyberCafes were absolutely raping the service.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

IOL and UTV will have the same offers as well - if they dont increase the caps then these higher speeds will be worthless. Umm moving the speeds up to 2Mb....I must say I'm surprised I expected 1Mb max. Upload better increase because 128 is very sloooooowwwww.

Here's the wholesale prices which also gives the upload speeds. All resellers like IOL and UTV will be using these wholesale produces. These are just for the residential services.

The old products.

Service (IP) Products applicable to 3rd of April 2005
    512/128 kb/s RA 24:1 EUR 27
    512/128 kb/s RA 48:1 EUR 20.10

The new products.

Service (IP) Products applicable from 4th of April 2005
    2048/128 kb/s RA 24:1 EUR 27
    1024/128 kb/s RA 48:1 EUR 20.10

So the lower end products (e.g. Eircom's 40 euro DSL or UTV's 30 euro product) will be going up to 1024k download. The higher residential service (e.g. Eircom's 54 euro DSL) will be going up to 2048.

Upload speeds remain at 128k for the residential products. Caps should increase since the contention ratio is staying the same.

Smart now have the opportunity to up their upload speeds to get ahead of Eircom+resellers. This, combined with their much lower price, should make it a killer product.

Hmm, news just in. EsatBT will be giving their press release shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Praetorian wrote:
    Hmm, news just in. EsatBT will be giving their press release shortly.
    this is great, i'm finally going to get rid of 20 year old technology isdn and get broadband

• Advertisement

Hi Skeptic,

Okay I'm not surprised Eircom have made the mistake of leaving the uploads at 128 for residential, but is there any news on the business packages? Sending big emails etc on 256 up is a huge pain for companies etc.

2048 x 128 & 4096 x 256 are such unbalanced products! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

128 up is still terrible :(
    I'm really feeling the choke of that with only 2 pcs on the damn network :/

Chalk,

ahh couldnt quote you in my sig like that w/o letting you get some glory in the end :D

ill take your word of no-charging on the caps over the other spanners that have been carping on about the opposite for a while :)

All,

I'll have more news up for ye, as I have it.

As regards caps lads, calm down!!! The only people to the best of my knowledge that have been charged/disconnected for going over caps by eircome that we're taking the piss, i.e. spammers and those in businesses that were hooking up as many computers as they liked to the basic package. I obviously won't mention names, but lets say that I'm aware of a few cases were CyberCafes were absolutely raping the service.

Regards.

I love this guy.

2048/256 would great and 2048/512 would be a dream :(

but anyways 2048/128 for the same price is MUCH better then 512/128 ;)

so it's still awesome news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I don't think anyone saw 2Mbit coming. This is great news. Hopefully we'll hear about changes to the cap soon.

Well done to IrelandOffLine for keeping the pressure on eircom all this time.

EDIT: My 1337 th post. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

128 up sucks

I've been a leacher far to long, I want to give something back! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

ha that will shut all of you Eircom haters up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Praetorian wrote:
    Hi Skeptic,

Okay I'm not surprised Eircom have made the mistake of leaving the uploads at 128 for residential, but is there any news on the business packages? Sending big emails etc on 256 up is a huge pain for companies etc.

2048 x 128 & 4096 x 256 are such unbalanced products! :(
    At the business (read expensive) level we have for the IP based services:

4096/256 kb/s RA 24:1 115 Port
    3072/256 kb/s RA 24:1 59.60

The 59.60 euro one corresponds to DSL selling at around 100 euro. Both of these are staying at 256k upload. There are also a number of ATM based services but these are remaining at 256k upload too.

I think one of the things Eircom don't want is businesses too many VoIP lines from their DSL connection.

See the the documents here for more information. The two of interest are "ADSL Bitstream Service Product Description Version 4" and "Bitstream Price List Version 2.1". These give the specs and prices for the new bitstream services.

The new speeds show how much Eircom has been in need of the stick of competition for so long. Future progress now depends on extending this stick.

• Advertisement

It's only good compared to what we have now. They have screwed us with the uploads (perhaps they don't want us to know how bad the lines really are in the country). Perhaps they want to stop warezing by keeping upstream bandwidth low. Perhaps they don't want to disrupt any more of their leased line business. Who knows. *Edit perhaps Skeptic is right. Maybe it's VOIP they fear :(

But while we're getting upgrades to 1m/bit and 2m/bit, the rest of the world is moving on. BT in the uk are offering upto 8/mbit at reasonable prices. Eircom are keeping us years behind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement