Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom press release, 1M -> 4M DSL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thebigdude

Am i the only one not impressed here? It seems everyone who is "woohoo"-ing is more than contempt dishing out 55 big ones on a 2 meg line, which would cost less almost *anywhere* else in europe.

Think of it, Smart was/"is maybe" offering 2 mbits for only 11 euro (35 minus 24 for line rental). Eircom replies by charging 55 for what is DEFINITELY worse than smart, as smart has NO CAPS, and NO CONTENTION. Tell me if i'm wrong here, but isn't all this excess gratification people feel now just feeding that dumb eircom CEO who is telling everyone people are happy with whatever eircon gives them? YOU DON'T MIND PAYING 5 TIMES MORE FOR SOMETHING WORSE? Even NTL's *current* product is better, at 50 euro it offers 1.5/256, 30GB cap which is decent, 17:1 contention versus eircom's 24:1 or 48:1, and even includes free basic TV which is worth 19.5/month by itself.

This is why i hate eircon, from their press release:
    These latest changes mean that Irish Broadband users will enjoy one of the fastest connection rates for standard or entry level Broadband in Europe. eircom, BT, Deutsche Telekom and Telecom Italia will lead the European league table for the speed of their respective entry level Broadband products.

You see how convenient it is for them to totally ignore comparing the PRICE of the "entry level Broadbad". And it is totally wrong anyway as SO MANY providers even offer 2mb as their entry level, with some only offering 8mb for 40/month. I wonder which "Europe" eircon is living in...

Instead of thanking eircon, the best thing to do would be to call them and tell them to screw their broadband. I did. If they get enough calls like this it will let them know that we're NOT happy paying 5x as much for broadband as smart customers are. And call comreg too. Tell them to force eircon to speed up LLU. That way, eircon will grovel at your feet begging you to stick with them. They'll have to make it worth it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

newbie2 wrote:
    great news !!!!!

And "The Afternoon Show" has been commisioned for another season !

What a day
    What a show...What women......me happy today...very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Woah, i was not expecting this at all....holy jesus, a 2mb connection...i'm gobsmacked, roll on april, i can't wait for this.....i hope to god the caps are increased, i already use my 16 gig within the first 5 days of the month, if it stays at 16...i'll be using it within the first two days, not so good :-/ ....but i'm sure they have to increase it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

thebigdude wrote:
    Instead of thanking eircon, the best thing to do would be to call them and tell them to screw their broadband. I did. If they get enough calls like this it will let them know that we're NOT happy paying 5x as much for broadband as smart customers are. And call comreg too. Tell them to force eircon to speed up LLU. That way, eircon will grovel at your feet begging you to stick with them. They'll have to make it worth it then.

I think you know very well that nobody will call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

uteotw wrote:
    Thank you SmartTelecom...

A-fecking-men to that ...

it is a disgrace that it has taken this long for some serious competition to give Eircom a good kick up the back side ... wtf exactly was the point of privatisation again ... shower of c(*ts .... we need more competition in this area, the more the better .. Ireland is so far behind the rest of the western world it is a national embarrasment. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote:
    I think you know very well that nobody will call

People who see my point will at least call and nag. That's better than just accepting things and giving up to a monopoly/dictatorship. Plus it seems a lot of users don't even know about LLU (Local Loop Unbundling - a process wheryby eircom gives up control of the "last mile" of copper between an exchange and the home, allowing other telcoms to offer their own products at their own prices) and the possibilities it could bring to competitiveness in this country, so the more people know, the more they will expect, and then demand. That works out well too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

thebigdude wrote:
    Think of it, Smart was/"is maybe" offering 2 mbits for only 11 euro (35 minus 24 for line rental).

Eircom replies by charging 55 for what is DEFINITELY worse than smart, as smart has NO CAPS, and NO CONTENTION.

We dont know that it is worse than Smart as Smart has no product out there yet to compare anything with.

And it is not true to say that Smart has no Cap or Contention.
    There is an undefined ''fair usage policy'' and there will be contention - Garfield has acknowledged this.

We dont know that it is worse than Smart as Smart has no product out there yet to compare anything with.

Neither does eircon, who knows how >100,000 broadband customers suddenly doubling/quadrupling their speeds will impact the service... At least smart are prepared.
    And it is not true to say that Smart has no Cap or Contention.

They specifically state that. I know it's impossible, but so is advertising "unlimited downloads" for hosting services... there is *always* a limit, but in this business saying it sells. Why say "no contention"? Because users don't have to worry that their line is being shared by probably 48 others. Even NTL only has 17, and smart would have to have lower than that.

By stating "no cap", it implies smart CAN NEVER CHARGE YOU if you download 500 gbytes a month. The maximum they can do is disconnect you. Whereas if they set a limit, like eircon DEFINITELY will, you can be sure they'll stick you to it this time. I mean maybe they'll let it go if you go 5 gb over the limit, but going 50gb over will definitely carry a hefty charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Few stupid questions :

1) Is this ADSL+2 ? and do we need new modems/upgrades etc.

2) If we are upgraded to the new higher speed are we AUTOMATICALLY deemed to be signed up for another 12 months ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I really find it amazing at how some people still manage to put negativity on this. This forum has an incredible amount of whiners.

It's fantastic news and its a great sign of things to come be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

JohnK wrote:
    If they dont upgrade us there'll be slaps...
    i've already emailed netsource asking them if they are planning on releasing new bb packages this year. first time was when Smart Telecom released their info, they just sent a bs response back. this one they can't ignore. (i hope)

-adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

thebigdude wrote:
    Even NTL's *current* product is better, at 50 euro it offers 1.5/256, 30GB cap which is decent, 17:1 contention versus eircom's 24:1 or 48:1, and even includes free basic TV which is worth 19.5/month by itself.

Ehh, no-one told me that ntl broadband includes the basic tv package :eek:
    I don't suppose you have a link to where ntl say that broadband includes basic tv.

It's just that on ntl's website say
    The monthly charge is in addition to your existing ntl cable or digital tv package.

causal

Few stupid questions :

2) If we are upgraded to the new higher speed are we AUTOMATICALLY deemed to be signed up for another 12 months ???

1) No, we don't

2) I'd imagine so, well actually....good question, i dunno about this myself, they have done it in the past with upgrades haven't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Few stupid questions :
    No.
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

one thing that troubles me with this automatic upgrade -

i chose the eircom starter kit because it has the lowest latency and little or no interleaving. Its 512k/128k. The basic reason is because it gives the lowest possible pings for gaming. which is what i use my dsl mostly for.

now if they automaticly upgrade the 512 people to 1mb, then it will higher the latency, to get the bigger download speeds. Unless they use the fastpath feature, which is whats in other countries, this could be a problem. I hope this is not what is going to happen, but i fear it just might.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

2) I'd imagine so, well actually....good question, i dunno about this myself, they have done it in the past with upgrades haven't they?

Absolutely .. this is why I ask ..... :)

Few stupid questions :

1. No, no need for any new equipment

2. No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

This is not ADSL+2 as ADSL is capable of 8192/1024 in theory.
    This is still fine for 6mbit/0.75mbit in the real world.

Chances are there will be no contract changes as you dont have a choics in the matter...512k is being phased ut...full stop.

Later........

MindPhuck wrote:
    one thing that troubles me with this automatic upgrade -

i chose the eircom starter kit because it has the lowest latency and little or no interleaving. Its 512k/128k. The basic reason is because it gives the lowest possible pings for gaming. which is what i use my dsl mostly for.

now if they automaticly upgrade the 512 people to 1mb, then it will higher the latency, to get the bigger download speeds. Unless they use the fastpath feature, which is whats in other countries, this could be a problem. I hope this is not what is going to happen, but i fear it just might.

I don't think so man

I play online ALOT! and if this happens, it will suck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Anyone know if Cap++?

wh00t .. 2mb IOL in April for me too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm sure UTV will be very keen to tie customers down for another 12 months and force them to sign a contract extension.

But I doubt they will. What would happen if you didn't sign the extension? It wouldn't make sense to have some people with 512K and others with 1 or 2M on the same contention.

I'm hoping that my 12 month contract will expire in June as it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My UTV contract expires at the end of this month. I plan to stay with them on a 1-month rolling contract until I can get Smart. (the line rental sold it for me.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Cremo wrote:
    if there's no increase in caps this is pointless
    if they dont turn off the interleaving its pointless for gamers

Winters wrote:
    Anyone know if Cap++?

wh00t .. 2mb IOL in April for me too :)

Reading on eircom and iol's site...i'm starting to think we'll see no budge in the caps, disappointing for sure :( they mention everything but the caps...so we can only assume that they are being left the way they are

plazzTT wrote:
    I'm sure UTV will be very keen to tie customers down for another 12 months and force them to sign a contract extension.

But I doubt they will. What would happen if you didn't sign the extension? It wouldn't make sense to have some people with 512K and others with 1 or 2M on the same contention.

I'm hoping that my 12 month contract will expire in June as it should.

Well thankfully there will be no 512k product for them to keep customers on :) but given that they require people to commit to a further 12 month contract just to move between Clicksilver products they are capable of coming up with something to tie people in. dont forget if you changed over to talktime you are commited to their telephony for 12 months and that could make moving to the likes of Smart problematic.

Reading on eircom and iol's site...i'm starting to think we'll see no budge in the caps, disappointing for sure :( they mention everything but the caps...so we can only assume that they are being left the way they are

Yes but dont forget the average boards user is not the average bb user and for the latter the cap is not a big issue so its probably not the priority for the initial announcements so stay optimistic for another while:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I doubt they'll keep the caps the same while increasing the speed. Eircom certainly has to increase it's caps now simply because they are too low compared to others. All that anyone can do for the moment is wait for more details to surface I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Does anyone know where I can find out if my exchange is going to be enabled before march 31st. I want to avail of one of the free trials. Eircom have said that it is scheduled this month but no specific date. The exchange is Carrigtwohill.

Great news on the increased speed !!
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Regarding Eircom, great news on the 2MB line... but like most of you, i'm disappointed that there was no mention of larger caps. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

They dont even enforce caps so whats the big deal. I go WAY over every month never even had them contact me about it. I dont see why this should change now just cos the speeds have increased.

WellyJ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement