Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom press release, 1M -> 4M DSL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

WellyJ wrote:
    They dont even enforce caps so whats the big deal. I go WAY over every month never even had them contact me about it. I dont see why this should change now just cos the speeds have increased.

WellyJ
    that's not the point really, loads of people go over the caps, no big deal.

but there are some people who prefer not to take the risk of getting charged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

WellyJ wrote:
    They dont even enforce caps so whats the big deal. I go WAY over every month never even had them contact me about it. I dont see why this should change now just cos the speeds have increased.

WellyJ
    Hardly the point, now is it?

As far as i know, i heard somewhere they have a right to bill you up to 6 months previous (am i right?).

Have went over a couple of times myself.. but definantly wouldn't go over that often. Don't want a hefty phone bill reaching me one morning! :D

basquille wrote:
    Hardly the point, now is it?
    Cremo wrote:
    that's not the point really
    Reading my mind, are you Cremo? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

that's not the point really, loads of people go over the caps, no big deal.

but there are some people who prefer not to take the risk of getting charged

I dont really see much of a risk to be honest. Eircom have said they would contact customers before the cap comes in to effect and also its not within their rights to backcharge. I cant remember who said this but im sure there was a link to something backing this up posted recently in one of the many "Eircom Cap" threads.

Of course it would be nice to see them up their "Cap" to 100GB or more just to be completely safe :)

WellyJ

Found this on Eircom's Terms And Conditions (http://home.eircom.net/html/broadband/terms.html) anyways:
    In the event that Customer usage exceeds the download/uploadlimits attaching to its selected level of the Facility, eircom may, without prejudice to its right to charge the Customer for the excess usage in accordance with the Regulations, request the Customer to select a level more appropriate to its usage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

The caps aren't enforced? i've been trying to stick to the caps, no one has actually been charged for going over? i have gone over about a gig every month since i had it, haven't seen any evidence yet of being charged, but i wasn't sure, regardless though...i really hope we see an increase in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Jakkass wrote:
    if they dont turn off the interleaving its pointless for gamers

what what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm in UTV and I most definately have been charged for going over the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

increased cap will give piece of mind, but if they increase cap they might start enforcing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

plazzT

Not sure about any other ISPs, just saying that NO ONE on Eircom has ever been charged

WellyJ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

abccormac wrote:
    No yhey wouldn't. Blah blah blah 4000000000mbit in japan, blah blah blah 587345834567mbit in france blah blah blah stuck in the bloody stoneage etc, etc. people will always complain. But I'm happy! :D
    I agree with ya! Its brilliant news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I try to strike a happy medium between being happy with my lot and yet constantly striving for improvements.

So I'm pleased with this news but I will continue to point out the weaknesses of the current offerings. Upload speeds, caps & price to name but 3.

Progress only happens when it's demanded by the consumer. This is supposed to be a modern developed economy so I don't see why we should be content to be even a single day behind the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Wow, finally an upgrade. Offically i'm still not Satisfied but it will do for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I know I have gone over the cap a good few times (I discovered torrents a few month back... need i say more) and I have never been charged anything for doing so. I know a friend who has ESAT BB and he got charged for going over his cap. I try to stay close to my cap just in case a high bill comes in!

It's like hosting in a way. Fasthosts in the UK offer unlimited bandwidth. However, they do specify in their terms that if you are "hogging" the bandwidth, they will push you to a dedicated server or drop your site. They rely on the selling point of unlimited bandwidth but the regular joe smo won't actually use that much. In my immediate family, 6 of us have BB...

- I use it heavily (gaming, work and downloads)
    - 3 Cousins use it for just gaming and browsing
    - Parents use it for work (VPN) and browsing
    - Sister uses for movies, gaming, downloading, etc.

So, out of 6, 2 of us use it heavily and the others don't go over their first GB, i'd say. And even with the increase in the download speeds, it doesn't mean that these ppl with start downloading more! It just means that their browsing/game playing will be faster. Caps will only affect us heavy users and I would say that eircom will need to compete with Smarts offer and do something like "unlimited bandwidth" but in the terms, they will specify that they can push you to a higher service if you are downloading too much.

Am I right in saying that we are stuck with a low upload rate in comparison to download when it comes to ADSL. If you want a proper 2MB/2MB (http://www.irishbroadband.com/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_2MBbusiness.htm) or higher, have a look at SDSL. Irish Broadband are offering SDSL which is a true BB connection as far as I'm concerned. They are covering most of Dublin I think but I think it is via a Wireless Link. Just had a look at their site and their 1MB/1MB connection is only 40 yoyo a month with a 20:1 contention.

Personally, I welcome the upgrade. A pleasant surprise for a monday afternoon. I do a hell of a lot more downloading then uploading so the upload won't bother me too much, 4 now..... but I wouldn't mind seeing SDSL being rolled out or another type of broadband, something like Magnet are doing - www.magnet.ie

Am I right about ADSL? Is there a limit on it's capabilities as oppossed to Eircom placing upload restrictions? I thought ADSL was limited like this and SDSL wasn't. Why can't SDSL be rolled out around the country?

My 2 cents....

Dave

It amazes me that people are still not satisfied with this news, its an upgrade that no one was expecting, it is great news....sure enough we're behind a lot of europe...but we are starting to move now, 512k is being left behind totally, this can only be a good thing, we can't be expecting massive leaps forward..as that will never happen, but this is quite a big step in terms of irish broadband, i'm happy....i know the prices leave a lot to be desired, but at least there aren't increases....its actually starting to look a more decent package now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

I think most of the people who are unhappy are likes that ( well this is true for me) as i see this move by Eircon as a knee jerk reaction . They are trying to jump ahead of smart and try and save as many accounts from changing over. Plain and simple.

My question is, Ok so eircom are rolling out this service, this is the first we have heard of it. How long have they been able to roll out this service ? Myself if this is going to be a rush job to get it ready it will prob fall over on a regular basis. However if it isn't and Eircom are ready for it, why wasn't there Customers informed of this ? and does anyone know anyone on this "Testing" group ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im really happy with the news, i never saw a 2mb upgrading coming at all, I was hoping for 1mb at best. Shame that the upload is still 128k tho and im amazed caps were never mentioned, xbox live will still play like a bag of pi$$ etc so i'll prolly not renew by subscription to that as its just too laggy compared to pc gaming. All im wondering now is will my line be able to cope with a 2mb connection being 2km from thee exchange, i read here about a year ago that 1mb was only possible within a km of the exchange. Am I right i thinking that I shud receive the 2mb upgrade come April the 4th when line distance is taking into account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

I can only speak for the UK , but a 1mb adsl connection can be made up to 8 km's for the local exchange. and it used to be 3.3 km's but they did some upgrading for this to work, god knows if Eircom even know what that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

DJB wrote:
    Parents use it for work (VPN) and browsing

aha! the crux of the problem! get a business line!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Megatron wrote:
    I think most of the people who are unhappy are likes that ( well this is true for me) as i see this move by Eircon as a knee jerk reaction . They are trying to jump ahead of smart and try and save as many accounts from changing over. Plain and simple.

Thats is the way competition works - one company innovates the rest respond and the customer benefits (usually:)) Why shouldn't Eircom or any company make efforts to hold onto their customers? If they were not responding you would equally be criticising them.
    My question is, Ok so eircom are rolling out this service, this is the first we have heard of it. How long have they been able to roll out this service ? Myself if this is going to be a rush job to get it ready it will prob fall over on a regular basis. However if it isn't and Eircom are ready for it, why wasn't there Customers informed of this ? and does anyone know anyone on this "Testing" group ?

Thats is the way competition works - one company innovates the rest respond and the customer benefits (usually:)
    There have been posts on here before, and they were before the arrival of Smart, from people who have been involved in testing a faster Eircom product.

Most companies won't inform customers in advance of launches of new products because of the extra pressure it will create for them and information it gives rivals.

Your final paragraph sums it up admirably - no matter which way they approach it you are not happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

1. what use is 2mbit, very few servers can upload data a that rate anyway. bittorrent is one of the few that can swarm a download but it needs more upload to do it.

2. caps havent been mentioned, and are WAY to low regardless of people not being charged, i dont think eircom would do business with me if i provided them with services and said i may or may not charge u or i did business with them and i said i may or may not pay u.

3. line rental is 10 euro overpriced, eircom is doing nothing about this.

4. upload speeds are WAY too low.

all in all a nice marketing ploy, anyone who knows anything about the interent knows its a gimmick, and a pointless one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

dub45 wrote:
    Your final paragraph sums it up admirably - no matter which way they approach it you are not happy!

there is nothing to be happy about, 2 mbit is pointless without the upload to achieve it. very few servers can provide data at those superfast rates, so it is a pointless exercise, well actually it isnt, its a good marketing gimmick.

lomb wrote:
    1. what use is 2mbit, very few servers can upload data a that rate anyway. bittorrent is one of the few that can swarm a download but it needs more upload to do it.

2mb is of great use, i download mainly off ftp's and they can be quite fast..depending, i'll certainly have use for 200kb's down...and even if i didn't, its still nice to have it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lomb wrote:

2. caps havent been mentioned, and are WAY to low regardless of people not being charged, i dont think eircom would do business with me if i provided them with services and said i may or may not charge u or i did business with them and i said i may or may not pay u.

3. line rental is 10 euro overpriced, eircom is doing nothing about this.

4. upload speeds are WAY too low.

all in all a nice marketing ploy, anyone who knows anything about the interent knows its a gimmick, and a pointless one.

People on boards constantly forget that the average boards user is not the average bb user. the average bb user is not obsessed with caps - UTV recently said that only 5% of their customers go over the cap - that may have to do with them charging for that and in time as new uses emerge caps will probably become more of an issue for the average user but at the moment they are not and thats why the press releases are not mentioning them I would guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lomb wrote:
    In fairness, 2Mbit is a good speed. It allows proper multitasking on the net, i.e. downloading one a large file, while surfing away and managing some machine remotely over network services without any noticeable drop in speed.

Also, places where you'll get big downloads - microsoft.com, heanet.ie, download.com, will easily accomodate your full 2Mbit. It would also be interesting to see Bittorrent running at 2Mbit. I remember running Kazaa in UCD (190Mbit pipe, effectively 100Mbit limited by the Network adapter), and downloading full songs in 2-3 seconds. Nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

theres 4 of us that share a net connection so 2meg is practical for us.
    also there are plenty of ways to get those kind of speeds that dont involve torrents,

not everything is done one at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭uum

Lads i f*ckin love eircom after this plus my landlords wireless router.
    He never i repeat never uses it and i can use it for free he says.
    1MB a sec come April for FREE HA HA. unbelievable.
    You could liken me to a pig in sh!t now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

lomb wrote:
    1. what use is 2mbit, very few servers can upload data a that rate anyway.
    from using a 100mb connection most of the time, i can tell you that that is not the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Netsource update.

They'll announce their upgrades early next week.

ambrose :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

lomb wrote:
    1. what use is 2mbit, very few servers can upload data a that rate anyway.

welcome to the internet...

please feel free to step off the msn - yahoo - google - expressway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement