Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A new friend for my old guy?

• 14-03-2005 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

I've a golden retriever reaching his tenth birthday shortly.

A couple of years after we got him our circumstances changed and we had in a relatively small garden up until a few weeks ago where we finally moved again.

He had become quite sedantary, and just moped around, even when brought out for walks he dragged and we put it down to age.

But he's perked up considerably in the last few weeks. I don't live there with him any more so when I go home I get snap shots which let me assess his progress. He's enjoying open fields and exploring again. He definitely an old man, but just not as bad as we thought :)

Mum had been thinking about getting a new dog, strictly for after he died. On the basis that he'd be jealous of a new puppy. But he's so docile, a rabbit we had for while used to lie on the dogs chest for comfort!!

How would he be likely to take a new dog? would it be company or competition?

if it makes any diff he's had the snip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My step-mother-in-law did exactly the same thing recently. She had an old male retriever who was basically living on borrowed time, and got a young female retriever for many of the same reasons as you give.

Actually, having the puppy around seemed to perk the old fellah up a bit, and if she ever got a bit too boisterous when he just wanted to lie there and sleep, he'd just grumble a bit at her, more of a muffled bark really, and she'd lay off him. He didn't last long in the end though, maybe another 6 months max, but he died happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

When my old germans shepard was in his 11-12th year we had to take in his adult nephew which sister owned (she had to move down to the country and i wasnt going to let the poor mutt be taken in by strangers). The two dogs knew each other well already but I was terrified that living together would cause war or stress the poor ould fella out as he was eplileptic. However he loved it. He used to pester the younger dog like a pup and having competition made him a lot more assertive and lively. The younger dog accepted his place straight away even though he had quite an alpha personality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sure, why not? 10 years isn't that old yet and doggy company is always good for a dog and is said to actually improve old dogs' overall condition and wellbeing.
    Give the old fella a say in the matter, though. Test the new candidate for a few days first, if possible. Not all dogs get on well with ALL dogs ...some might actually dislike certain individuals and never grow to like each other.

Another thing to consider is the "new fella". Say your old dog lives for another 3 or 4 years. By that time the young dog will be so used to having company, that it will be difficult for it to be an "only dog" afterwards.

Advertisement