Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta speakers

Options
  • 14-03-2005 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I noticed today that the speaker in my Fiesta's driver side door seems to be no longer working. If i set the balance all the way right you can hear audio from the tiny tweeter at the top of the door but nothing from the bigger lower speaker. Passenger side speakers are working fine.

Radio is a bog standard Ford "3000 Traffic" if that makes any difference. I can see 4 holes (2 on each side) which I assume are used to take the radio out but I've no idea how that works (some kind of tool i guess?) so I haven't had a look at the back of it.

Anyone have any tips on diagnosing this before having to take it to a poxy dealer?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Is it happening when you play a cassette or when you have the tuner on? If its when your playing the cassette you need to clean the heads with a cleaning tape.If its still not working take off the door trim and check that the speaker is properly connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It happens on both tape/radio.

Cheers for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Can't help on the speaker front but if you want to take the radio out, you need either four pieces of stron wire that will fit in the four slots or last time i used 4 small screwdrivers.
    Insert them and push the ones on the left to the left - then the ones on the right to the right - all at the same time. This should push back the clips and allow you to slide out the stereo. Its a terrible nuisance but if you mess around with it for a while, you'll get it out.
    I'm sure there is a tool for this but if you dont have it - then try the above.

Thanks for that - got the headunit out, there doesn't appear to be anything wonky back there. Guess the speaker itself or the wiring is knackered. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

you can make upa tool for removal of headunits, just cut two 6 inch pieces out of a coathanger (a wire on...obvioulsy) and bend into a u-shape... push into the holes and listen for pop, and withdraw headunit....

old habits die hard!! dum de dum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stephen wrote:
    Thanks for that - got the headunit out, there doesn't appear to be anything wonky back there. Guess the speaker itself or the wiring is knackered. :(
    Speakers are fairly simple devices. If the diaphragm isn't obviously damaged, then there's no real reason why they wouldn't be making some sort of sound. More likely that wires have become loose or frayed at the back of the stereo or the back of the speaker.

I can't see that unless i go taking the door apart - scary!

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

It may not be that big a job. Generally the grill over the speaker is just clipped in place - you may be able to pop this off, revealing the screws that hold the speaker in place.

You could just then unscrew the speaker and check the two spade connections on the back. You can disconnect these, hook up the speaker to a 9V battery and if it crackles then it still works and the speakers not the problem.

If its any help I'm based in KK and have replaced speakers in a car before and can take a look for you if you like, it shouldn't take more than 15 - 20 mins to determine the problem and you can go from there - PM if you're interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Stephen wrote:
    I can't see that unless i go taking the door apart - scary!

dont worry about taking the door panel off just dont lose any of the screws.

the speakers that are in the fiesta at the moment are the standard ones right??
    The speakers in there at the moment are worth nothing you can buy a new set of speakers for about €35 and they will be better.
    i think the fiesta door takes 13cm speakers but im not sure.

Yeah you're right - standard 13cm speakers.

I just can't figure out how to take the panel off the door :)
    I've taken the plastic covers off all the screws i can see (except the one just inside the mirror - I can't get that bastard off at all), and removed the screws but it still won't budge. I think my problem is the window handle - how do you take that off?

Dr Spock - thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

yeah the problem is the window handle that can be tricky to take off.

all u do then is just screw out the old speakers and wires should just pull off. and wire up the new ones and there ya go.

oh btw dont buy high power speakers as your standard head unit wont be able to power them to there full potential

I'm gonna see if the old one is salvageable before I contemplate buying new ones :)

Had the car into the dealer today (chickened out of taking the door apart myself :)). The speaker is indeed fu<ked, but they're going to replace it under warranty next week - no spares in stock today.

:)

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Thats the job, nothing like a bit of free warranty work :D

Advertisement