Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite 2 Frontier

Options
  • 14-03-2005 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Dug up version of this game recently. Just wondering what others think?
    Was this the best ever game concept & were we all just sad back then with nothing better to play? Spent a lot of time on the net recently & this is still being played! There a rumour doing the rounds of a black hole at the centre of the galaxy, millions are still playing & looking for this. Anyone any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Man I loved that game. Spent so many hours flying from one station to another, blowing up Imperial Traders.
    The black hole rumour was supposedly started by David Braben himself, so I'd be inclined to believe it... finding it is another matter though, the galaxy is bloody huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

If you like elite you should get X2 and the soon tobe released X2- the return www.egosoft.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Doesnt that install Starforce, othewise known as "that ****ing piece of **** copy protection that erased my hard drive!!!!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Yeah, the only thing I recall about Elite 2 Frontier when it first came out was jesus, the bugs, the patches (back in 1995, when the web was a madmans (al gore) dream)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Sand wrote:
    Doesnt that install Starforce, othewise known as "that ****ing piece of **** copy protection that erased my hard drive!!!!"?

Aye the uk/ireland version does have starforce i didnt have any problems with it but jesus eraseing your hard drive :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

there is no good space sims :(

i want to be able to:

fly through planet atmospheres
    explore my ship/builings/stations in first person mode
    have fun combat and trading aspects
    making it masively multiplayer would be cool (eve sucks)
    mini games like racing and fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

bounty wrote:
    i want to be able to:

fly through planet atmospheres
    explore my ship/builings/stations in first person mode
    have fun combat and trading aspects
    making it masively multiplayer would be cool (eve sucks)
    mini games like racing and fighting
    What you want is Grand Theft Spaceship....now that would be savage indeed.

The original Frontier on the Amiga ate away a huge chunk of my youth, yet it didn't do anything for me at all when I recently got hold of it for the PC. That's growing up for you I guess.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yes. I had the Amiga version. It was great stuff.

I remember one bug in it. It was a star system that actually paid you to take away diamonds, as if the diamonds were hazardous waste. You could take them to another system then and sell them for a huge profit, or just fly away from the star system a bit and dump them and then fly back and get paid to take away more.

I loved the cool star chart that came with it too. That was hanging on my wall until only recently.

I lost the instrcution manual though, and sometimes if when you docked at a space station they would ask you (for example) what is the 3rd word is on Page 87 line 12... and I wouldn't know and they'd arrest me... sheesh... although in retrospect I guess Starforce is much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

*sighs* Frontier... what a game. I spent hours upon hours playing this. Never got the hang of scooping fuel though, and mining was such a waste of time for me. Still, just being able to fly under the golden gate bridge was amazing.

There was talk of Braben making a new game, read it on his site a couple of years back. It was being screwed over by licensing though. No idea how that panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

First ever game I played was the original Elite on the BBC Micro, never thought it could be equaled until I played Frontier on the Amiga, was brilliant. It expanded so much on the original Elite, so many ways to make a living; mining, courier, contract killings, piracy, trade, taxi...bah, I'm gonna have to reinstall it now again! :rolleyes:

Anybody try Freelancer? I thought that was ok. There was a mod that removed the story and let you roam freely, it's as close to Elite as you're gonna get until Elite 4 comes out. Whenever that's gonna be... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

IWar2: Edge of Chaos has become my Elite substitute for the last few years.

It's not an Elite Clone, and it's more story-based than open-ended, but it's very enjoyable. The flight model and Hat-controlled systems menu in the ship are a joy to use.
    Side-slipping around your opponents hammering them with PBCs...

THe only gripe I have is that since I upgraded from Foreware53.5x I'm getting alot of texture corruption and slowdown. Before that I had it on 1024x768, everything thrown up to max and it ran like a triathalon competitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

It was great until you got enough money to buy an enormous ship and got stuck somewhere for months trying to hire enough people to crew the thing. Fantastic game alround though, and I'd love to see a sequel on todays hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

i recently downloaded this for the pc - you actually have to pay 5 of her majesties pounds for the privilege - if you do it legaly of course. anyway, i haven't had chance to return to the glory days when i was 15 or 16, but i do remember i had a fondness for destroying the entire police forces of planets! it was my speciality if you will. hahah. with the aid of a big old spaceship, a whole load of shield generators and countless lasers and missiles id fly down to a peaceful planet, throw my weight around and leave.

ohhhh the humanity!!!

misspent youth????? i think not!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The Federation cops were no match for my large plasma accelerator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Fights got boring after you got the really big ships and loaded them up with shield generators, locked on to the opposing ship and autopiloted them into oblivion. Became really boring in hostile systems.

Feck it, I think I'll install it again for a while.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

there is a black hole, its called beta lyrae, if you go there the game crashes, i cant remember the cooridinates exactly but its far far far left of sol and is a contact binary system.

roll on Elite4 mmo tbh :) (yes its true)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

SyxPak wrote:
    IWar2: Edge of Chaos has become my Elite substitute for the last few years.

It's not an Elite Clone, and it's more story-based than open-ended, but it's very enjoyable. The flight model and Hat-controlled systems menu in the ship are a joy to use.
    Side-slipping around your opponents hammering them with PBCs...

THe only gripe I have is that since I upgraded from Foreware53.5x I'm getting alot of texture corruption and slowdown. Before that I had it on 1024x768, everything thrown up to max and it ran like a triathalon competitor.

Apart from the somewhat obscure puzzles the one reason why I hated that game was travelling about...... It takes too long to get through a la grange point and if u set it on autopilot it always selects a la grange point to jump the distance when it would be quicker to just fly straight but the computer didn't see it like that which is why I eventually gave that game up and its a shame cos apart from that I really loved IW2. Had the best feeling of being in space and an amazing interface that makes me wonder why no one else will copy it.

Am currently attempting to play X2 The Threat for the 6th time. This time I will succeed in not being bored/annoyed by this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

jaggeh wrote:
    there is a black hole, its called beta lyrae, if you go there the game crashes, i cant remember the cooridinates exactly but its far far far left of sol and is a contact binary system.

roll on Elite4 mmo tbh :) (yes its true)

If modern games are anything to go by, Elite 4 will have 15 missions with a galaxy-spanning story arc detailing intense character development of a ragtag mercenary crew. There will be a total of 3 galaxies to explore, each containing up to 4 planets/space-stations. There will be 5 different ships to fly, from a basic one gun ship to a 5-gun ship.

And it will make baby Jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I never played Frontier - it was the original Elite, although on the Amiga rather than the 8 bit machines. Elite was good buit I got bored sometime after reaching deadly rating. But good nonetheless. I tried Elite's sequels and was impressive with physics. I love the attention to detail, velocity, planetary data, stockmarket pricing etc... I just wish I had the time...

Advertisement