Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joy Division

Options
  • 14-03-2005 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Anyone here like this band? They're one of my favourite groups ever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah, I like them a lot but generally can only take them in small doses. I love the songs but despise the Martin Hannett sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definetly a great band, but they're not exactly one of my most listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ditto, criminally overlooked in general though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Doctor J wrote:
    Yeah, I like them a lot but generally can only take them in small doses.
    Same for me. Usually wouldn't really ever listen to more than a few songs at a time, but there'd be a song of theirs on my playlist most of the time.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Same here, can only listen to them when I'm in the mood to. Never really listen to them otherwise. Great band though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Thinking of it, Shadowplay is a song I can listen to any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Great band one of my favourites
    cant uinderstand why people only listin to a few songs at a time I think they are far better as most music is lisining to albums as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I can listen to them at any time. Class band, really powerful sound out of them. Got the Heart and Soul box set a few years ago and a slew of vinyl, can't get enough of them.

Has anyone heard the tribute album with Moby, Smashing Pumpkins, Girls Against Boys and Low? Some well dodge tracks but most of the bands do really nice versions of JD classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Definitely one of my favourite bands, takes a while to get into them, but that goes for most band. Usually the quicker you get into a band, the quicker you get out of them :rolleyes:
    Substance is a great album, i know its only a singles collection but you can really hear the band evolving from the punk opener warsaw right up to the classic love wil ltear us apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Absolutely fantastic band. Need I say more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I have regularly listing to all 4cds of heart and soul in a row they are just that good

You need to get the two live albums too, sometimes just four cd's isn't enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

new order are playing the sh!tness this year. \O/

I'll be away. Not too worried, I've seen them before and in any case the new song isn't that great. The new album hasn't been getting favourable reviews either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i hate jd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

I love Joy Division, fav songs would be New Dawn Fades, Shadowplay, Love Will Tear Us Apart, Passover etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yeah, great band have most of their studio stuff but after the initial phase I went through of just listening to them I can only listen to them in bits and pieces now.

Read Touching from a distance too, interesting book if you're into them at all, and if you're lazy/illiterate then fear not, there's a film coming out of it soon...

flogen

How are New Order for playing Joy Division songs live? Do they do it at all? Or would you be lucky to get a "Love Will Tear Us Apart" out of them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    How are New Order for playing Joy Division songs live? Do they do it at all? Or would you be lucky to get a "Love Will Tear Us Apart" out of them?

I caught the end of their set when they played with the Chillies in Landsdown road a few years back and they played "she's lost control" and I think "love with tear us apart" and "athmosphere"... I probably missed a few too and because I wasn't big into Joy Division at the time I probably wouldnt have noticed anyway

flogen

• Advertisement

Sweet. She's Lost Control alone would be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Trick Pie

I bloody love Joy Division. Ian Curtis is one of my all-time favourite singers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sweet. She's Lost Control alone would be excellent.
    Pointless aside: At the last Therapy? gig in the Ambassador, they segued She's Lost Control into their cover of Isolation.

Mmmm, trivia.

They also played Transmission at Lansdowne Rd. with Frusciante on guitar. They've been known to play Heart and Soul, Ceremony and Sister Ray as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Excellent! :D

Advertisement